Thread: What non-slip protective option to use on the floor?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What non-slip protective option to use on the floor?

Greetings all.

I've been debating on what to use on the floor of my wooden drift boat to protect it from rocks wedge in our shoes, etc.

I was going to lay 10oz (all I have) fiberglass cloth down, then paint that with non-slip paint but that will take some time and wouldn't mind hearing other alternatives.

I saw "tuff coat" product which is a rubberized non-slip coating which seems like it would be easier to apply.

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/tuff-...ALw_wcB#93=973

Thoughts?

Default Re: What non-slip protective option to use on the floor?

I meant non-skid not non-slip

Hello toclimbk2,
    In our build, Night Heron, we used Kiwigrip for all our non-skid surfaces. It's not expensive, easy to apply, you can make it as thick or as thin as you like, is fast drying and comes in a wide variety of colors. We really like the stuff and if you go over to our thread, you'll see how it looks in light gray.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.
    "Ships are the nearest thing to dreams that hands have ever made." Robert N. Rose

I have some interlux brightside that I was going to mix with the interlux non-skid beads and put over the fiberglass cloth and have thought about just using that paint and skip the fiberglass but wasn't sure about how tough it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapiteinterzee View Post
    Hello toclimbk2,
    In our build, Night Heron, we used Kiwigrip for all our non-skid surfaces. It's not expensive, easy to apply, you can make it as thick or as thin as you like, is fast drying and comes in a wide variety of colors. We really like the stuff and if you go over to our thread, you'll see how it looks in light gray.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.

Porch paint with non-skid added is a cost effective solution.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

When building a CLC Northeaster Dory, I wanted a varnished interior - including the floor. I used "SharkGrip" additive to the last two coats of varnish. I got it at my local Sherwin Williams paint store, small plastic jar, cheap. It is a white powder.... looks like fine salt. Add to paint/varnish. Apply as usual. Provides a sandpaper like surface. Nice and grippy.

I also need a durable finish I believe to protect wood.

Small rocks will make their way onto the deck from getting in and out of the boat and then more than likely we would walk on those small rocks, scraping up the deck.

That is why I was going to do the fiberglass but thinking about the rubber type products.

Maybe 3-5 coats of just the interlux brightside may work.

Quote Originally Posted by RichW View Post
    When building a CLC Northeaster Dory, I wanted a varnished interior - including the floor. I used "SharkGrip" additive to the last two coats of varnish. I got it at my local Sherwin Williams paint store, small plastic jar, cheap. It is a white powder.... looks like fine salt. Add to paint/varnish. Apply as usual. Provides a sandpaper like surface. Nice and grippy.

Quote Originally Posted by toclimbk2 View Post
    Small rocks will make their way onto the deck from getting in and out of the boat and then more than likely we would walk on those small rocks, scraping up the deck.
    I got a quart of this stuff to do the bottom and interior of our fiberglass dinghy which we use to land on rocky beaches (if you can even call them that) here in Maine. I will add non-skid to the interior coating: https://glazecoat.com/amazing-goop-coat-it-epoxy/
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

What about putting in removable floorboards? Let the rocks and grit slosh around underneath so you don't have to worry about grinding up the finish. Keeps your feet drier too.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

I thought about this as I plan on doing this but only in the middle of the boat as there is some rocker on both ends of the boat where the water will flow towards the middle and my gear will be up out of the water.

It may be something I extend all the way but would still like option in case I go without it at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    What about putting in removable floorboards? Let the rocks and grit slosh around underneath so you don't have to worry about grinding up the finish. Keeps your feet drier too.

Brightside is slippery when wet.

You might try truck bed liner, it's tough but you'll need to make very sure that the epoxy in glass is completely amine free and well scuffed (I think they sandblast truck beds before spraying on the liner), and don't get it on anything else, the solvents in it are potent and will instantly bubble up any existing paint or varnish.

I was going to put the interlux non-skid compound within the brightside paint.
    Will it still be slippery?

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Brightside is slippery when wet.

You might try truck bed liner, it's tough but you'll need to make very sure that the epoxy in glass is completely amine free and well scuffed (I think they sandblast truck beds before spraying on the liner), and don't get it on anything else, the solvents in it are potent and will instantly bubble up any existing paint or varnish.

Quote Originally Posted by toclimbk2 View Post
    I was going to put the interlux non-skid compound within the brightside paint.
    Will it still be slippery?
    I don't know but am going to try it on a scrap.

Here you go from the manufacturer...

"
    1. Mix your own non-skid finish: any one of the Perfection or Brightside Polyurethane finishes can be transformed into a non-skid deck finish by the addition of Intergrip Polymeric non-skid compound 2398. Intergrip is made from small plastic spheres that have regular shape, low tendency to collect dirt and excellent non-slip properties. Once Intergrip has been added to paint general application directions are followed, except there is no need to sand between coats. Our two part polyurethane, Perfection, provides the most durable and long lasting finish for decks.
    2. Hand Broad casting method - while the first of paint is still wet, sprinkle the Intergrip as required to obtain the texture of your choice. It is best to put the Intergrip in a flour sifter or salt shaker to dispense the compound. Avoid heavy application which will not assist in providing a more slip resistant surface. After the paint has been allowed to dry overnight remove the excess Intergrip and apply the second coat of paint."

Ive had very good experience with the total boat nonskid product from jamestown. two coats.

I may pull trigger on the "Tuff Coat" stuff, seems to get solid ratings.

Sucks because I already bought the Brightside and non-skid compound.

I suggest you give a visit to www.woodenboatpeople.com. We are a group that focuses on the building of wooden drift boats. We have 2500 members and years of experience building painting, expoxying, repairing and sharing the knowledge we have gained. I have been the moderator and hanging out for more than ten years. Randy Dersham the owner of the website has been involved with the manufacture of drift boat kits as well as several of his own personal boats. I think that we can greatly assist you in advice and knowledge of these particular craft. On the website you will also find quite a collection of photos of the boats we build. Prior to Covid we held an annual McKenzie River Wooden Boat Festival where people brought their drift boats to talk about and share techniques and knowledge. I took many photos at these events and they are now posted on the site. Please come and check us out, everything is free, we are all here for the love of drift boats. R. Newman

I only get advertising when I go to that link.

I can explain that, I made an error, it is woodenboatpeople.org! Sorry about that. I rarely ever have to enter the complete address so I didn't even think about the domain extension. Please try again.

Rick Newman

I just shot a email to the makers of Safe-T-Deck about compatibility with an epoxy substrate.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
    I just shot a email to the makers of Safe-T-Deck about compatibility with an epoxy substrate.
    FWIW they never got back to me.
    ♦ George Orwell

Here is an article from Small Boats Monthly concerning truck-bed liner paint. I don't know if you need a subscription to access it.
    https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/truck-bed-liner/
    ♦ George Orwell

Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone had any success with a non-skid product for varnished (polyurethane) cabin soles? I will be refinishing my teak and holly soles with glossy poly (gym floor type stuff) and would like to add nonskid in the galley area and perhaps companionway steps. I don't think most of the typical non skid compounds would look good in clear finish...wondering what people have used that has worked?

Quote Originally Posted by cdragon View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone had any success with a non-skid product for varnished (polyurethane) cabin soles? I will be refinishing my teak and holly soles with glossy poly (gym floor type stuff) and would like to add nonskid in the galley area and perhaps companionway steps. I don't think most of the typical non skid compounds would look good in clear finish...wondering what people have used that has worked?
    That works. Look out, it's a deep rabbit hole.

http://woodenboatpeople.org/photo/im...context=latest

Anybody have experience with Seadek type products? Thinking of using for little outboard skiff..

I second the recommendations for truck bed liner. I’m starting my fifth season with it on the cockpit sole. Looks like new still.