Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Moon 2

Default Re: Blue Moon 2

I have seen online a "weed cutter" which appeared to be a "Stanley knife" blade welded to a plate and screwed to the hull immediately in front of the rudder to cut the weed so it doesn't get trapped between hull and rudder.
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Well no new suggestions of rudder shape have come up here or elsewhere. The only original suggestion , is a weed pusher operated from inside the hull to push weed down the front of the rudder.. I'll think about that for the future.

So back to the rebuild, I got the chair back in, sat inside with a bit of wood trying various positions for a tiller.

The most obvious is a tiller on the Centreline pointing back at me from the front.. one problem, if I stood up to get out, it would do me an injury where it hurts...

So then a vertical whipstaff was tried, problem the control wires would go through my legs or generally stop me getting in and out.

So a side lever was tried, success, so one on each side. Pivoted at the base, problem it hit the chair arms.

What to use ? I was thinking of some old snooker cues, but they heard their ends were going to be cut off, so they've hidden themselves away. SWMBO suggested some old walking sticks, and appeared with two identical old bentwood handle walking sticks.

I tried them, perfect !!! with the handles pointing into the boat the verticals go down the side of the chair the handles over the chair arms.. push forward on that side to turn to the opposite side of the boat.

So they've been trimmed to length, the bottom squared off and extra wood added to thicken the foot to allow a bolt through.
    That's now setting till next week.

The steering cables will run from the rudder head. Down each side of the boat to the walking sticks, then on to the front of the cock pit and then crossing to meet just behind the mast. At the join a bungy tensioner may be added to remove slack in the cables.

The main hatch 4ft long by about 2ft wide over the aft compartment, was removed to the workshop for its refurbishment. A hole has been cut for Baron Blue Moon the hairy models base, and a new floor added under that to stop it dropping through.
    The top was sanded but there are so many scratches and dents acquired over the years, so after a sanding, a skim coat of filler was applied. That too is setting till next week.

This weekends work:

First the steering controls were sanded, then two pieces of plastic were laid on the bench.

Two pieces of 4inch square fibreglass cloth laid and resined on the plastic sheet. The controls placed on top and propped in place and two more pieces laid and resined on top forming a top hat shape. Then a little more reinforcing cloth was laid on where needed.

Once set the fibreglass was trimmed into a D with the curve facing down. After a sand and fill they have received their first coat of paint.

The main hatch which lives above the rudder, was sanded down, then painted white , the next day lightly sanded again and a second coat painted on, it may take another coat yet.

The cockpit outer edge was painted white, I had tried varnishing but couldn't get the finish I'd like and it's a high wear area so I've gone for paint.

The fore hatch was sanded repaired, One of the retaining edges had come off, the only problem being the top came off the glue bottle. Flooding the underside of the hatch. That was pushed to where needed, and when semi soft, the excess glue scraped off. This is a varnished hatch so next week it will be turned over sanded again then the first coat of varnish applied.

At the moment I'm puzzling over the connection from the steering wire to the steering columns and beyond . The control columns need to attach to the passing wire securely, be adjustable, and not twist the wire in doing so..

The puzzle to the control wires has been solved, simple really, a loop on the end of the control wire /cables round the control handles with a collar to hold them in place in the handle. Adjustment / tensioning to take place at the rudder head..
    IMG_20210719_154922.jpg
    A view down the boat, you can see on the propped up on the port seat arm, the hand roughly in position for steering control, on deck the other one, both have only had one coat of primer, long way to go before finishing.

Also unfinished is the lifting plate for the boat , that's the metal thing under the control handle and sandpaper. The eyes that it hooks onto are under the seat, and slightly below shot.

The nearest stainless bar crossing the boat will also have a centre vertical to the hull, it will hold a panel for various sail controls, the other sail controls for the jib will be on the inside of the cockpit combings and the bar is also is my grab handle so I can pull myself out of the seat.

The stainless bar across the boat behind the seat is the horse for the mainsheet block.

The boat needs a good clean inside..

Not a huge amount of work done this weekend, as I spent some time trying to fix an intermittent problem with the lawn mower.
    Steering controls given a full coat of paint,
    Main hatch another Coat paint,
    Fore hatch varnished twice,
    Another hatch repaired sanded and a first primer coat put on..

And another thing going on a rescue boat refresher.. Not that I learnt much as I've been doing that for 40+ years.
    The reason for the refresher is new Saturday starts our regatta Week,
    Saturday Two race series on Black Horse Broad, each of up to 8 starts,
    Sunday 4 race series of up to 8 starts,
    Monday to Friday 23 race starts, in 4 main race series plus specials, such as waterboatmens trophy (people who work on the river) and the service and ex servicemans trophy.
    The 23 race starts may be split up into more, if too many sign on for a race, that's common among the juniors where the topper / oppie start may be split into 3. Also if more than 12 turn up in one of the keel boat races then they may be split as our river is a bit narrow..

https://youtu.be/uzaay1fRpss

Very strange I copied and posted the following text as usual and the Woodenboat forum blocked it..
    So I've copied off elsewhere we'll see if this works
    no It didn't , I'll try again...
    Last edited by The Q; 08-17-2021 at 03:41 AM.

Nope the website's blocking any attempt at copy and paste from another website or from word...

Ok I'll have to type in manually...

No work on the boat this week it would have been politically incorrect having just spent a week down at the sailing club...

So Brain has been wandering around on two problems

One as I sit forward facing in the chair I can't see what sneeky things other competitors are getting up to behind me....Well I hope they're behind me... So I've been looking at Mirrors...

The best solution I've come up with is a pair of bicycle mirrors, to be mounted either side of the mast or either side of the cockpit at the same fore and aft position on the boat..
    I've seen a set in anodized blue aluminium which seems to look the part, they'll be ordered tonight..

The second thing brain has been thinking about is timing.. As I race I need to set off at the right time.. The club uses a radio clock, So I need a radio or GPS Controlled clock.. so no messing around with stopwatches..
    Three solutions have come to mind, but a decision hasn't yet been made..

A radio kitchen digital clock that gives time only 22
    A GPS bicycle computer, that will give speed as well which may help with tuning the boats performance.. 50 +
    A small tablet computer, that will do time speed, tracking and various functions which may be of use.. 57 +

Well that seems to have been accepted by the website...

The time thing can be done fairly simply with all manner of modern watches.Its pretty common to have a "sync" button for the countdown function,which means that if you miss the warning signal by a couple of seconds you just press sync at the preparatory signal and it drops down to the upcoming minute.If you fumble that one,there is always the one minute signal as a final backup.

In the winter, when I crew a 2 man boat, I use my radio watch to inform my helmsman of the time.. You know the scheduled start time, just have a quick look every so often, no messing with buttons.

Our Start line is approximately 175ft long, we are a river club.
    There are often tourist motorboats going through the start line in both directions, so sometimes only 100ft or less of that is useable.

We often have 20 + boats in the Allcomers B start (boats between 12ft and 17.5 ft).

We are tacking avoiding, each other and the inexperienced tourists all the time..

Unfortunately as a single hander with mainsheet in one hand and tiller in the other, a third hand to press buttons would be required..
    So a clock on the cockpit bulkhead is the best way, you just have to look , not try to find a spare second at the right time to press a button..

We don't have a 1 minute signal, just 10 minute and 5 minute. Our 10 is the 5 for the previous fleet, Their start is our 5 and the next fleet after us's 10.

This years regatta video , less numbers out than Normal due to Covid, only 84 boats competed , we have had 150 in the past..
    The wind was also unusual for the week a very light North or North Westerly, or later in the week a southerly, normally the general direction is a south westerly straight down the river towards the club which finally arrived on the last day. A South Westerly means a lot of tacking from the start line up to the first bend.
    Horning Week 2021 - YouTube

Oh the gentleman in the Jacket and red shorts isn't drunk, He has Dystonia, Dystonia: Causes, Types, Symptoms, and Treatments (webmd.com) which means he needs he need help to stand ... He's still a very good sailor though. As president for the Thursday we were raising money for the relevant Charity
    Last edited by The Q; 08-18-2021 at 04:27 AM.

After a lot of loading trying, deleting apps on my normal tablet, I've found one that does what I need, "sailfreegps" it displays speed and real time. Most of the apps I tried, only did Countdown Time or Time Elapsed, a few had Real Time as well, but in too small a text.
    So I've tried this one by wandering around the garden, it's readable in full sunlight, and by putting it on a planter then standing back 10ft I can still read it. 10ft being twice the distance needed.

SWMBO has two tablet computers, one an old slow one, is only used for music playing occasionally. I've been informed I may use it. So I'll try loading the App onto that.. if it works a waterproof holder will be ordered..

I've ordered a waterproof Tablet holder hasn't arrived yet, but I tried the tablet in position on Blue Moon and It works well, easily viewed from the chair. The only thing will be to make sure halyards etc don't block the view.. A drop in position will be made for it with some protection from elements and boat type hazards.

Not a huge amount of work done this week.
    One hatch sanded and repaired, it's sitting with clamps on at the moment.
    Another hatch lightly sanded and a second coat of paint applied,
    Bow hatch another coat of varnish applied.

Finally, the two steering controls are installed, that went quite well except for the pain of grovelling around in the bottom of the boat, A trial sit and play shows about half an inch more needs to come off the handle end of the controls...

Played with rudder head and fittings... Fitting works.. but... I need a longer bolt.. 5mm by 70mm, bolt ordered..

Hatch one, another coat of varnish applied. Since I had the varnish out, I recoated the stern.

Hatch two, not happy with finish, and it got rain on it before it set. Heavily sanded and repainted.

Hatch three, excess glue removed, hatch sanded down, first coat of paint applied.

Hatch 4, remains of previous hatch, now too large, cut to size, curved bearer off the waste section cut off, glued to section that's kept, now clamped up and left to set for a week..

Problem. Hit a screw with the blade.. Bosch nanoblade... They were 14 when I bought the last ones... Now 21!!! Price up 50% in a year, happy I'm not..

"Hug the bank" signs painted white the other side..

For a variety of reasons not as much work was done the boat as I'd hoped this weekend. The main reason is a dead tree in our garden's hedge row, it is no longer a 40ft sycamore , but a 20ft one as I was up and down the ladder chopping the top off.. It's didn't drop quite where I wanted it to drop, But more importantly It didn't drop where I didn't want it to.. Namely onto the model railway shed, which was in direct line of a normal South Westerly..

So..
    Hatch one, another coat of varnish applied. Since I had the varnish out, I recoated the stern and the registration number board to hang under the jib club which had reappeared during the searches...

Hatch two, . lightly sanded and repainted.

Hatch three, lightly sanded down, Second coat of paint applied.

Hatch Four, Heavily sanded and then a strip of ply glued on top so it will overlap Hatches 2 and 3. A second overlap strip will be glued on next week.

Rudder head, Measured 3 times, careful marked up, then drilled for new tiller fittings.

A temporary string was tied around the boats cockpit from the tiller head via the control handles, to check the Ideas work.. They do, but a couple of more bits needed, so they are now on order..

A search party (me) had earlier set out to find the boxes / jars of bits, from boats long since gone, unsuccessfully, SWMBO reckons she's seen them, so she will set out on a second search party this week..
    Once they are found, they will be sorted into useful for this boat or back into the box. Fittings and fixtures are remarkably expensive, so saving buying more is a good idea..

Search parties for the box of boat bits have so far been unsuccessful..

A large part of the weekend was spent building more shelving, this time in the mobile home..

So what happened to Blue Moon..

Hatch 4 had another section of ply glued on, was heavily sanded then the first coat of paint was put on.

The rudder head assembly was err assembled..
    It's made of the shaft of the rudder, which is a scaffolding pole, some spring steel was used as "padding", The spring steel from the spring which once lifted the door open of a commercial microwave oven when it went ping.
    The tiller / bit that enclosed the shaft is a bracket that should hold lights on a stage..

A hole was drilled through the lot (holes through shaft were already there.) bolt inserted.. Now where did that nut go? I have no idea.. have to get another one.

The steering was tried from the cockpit controls with the string tied to the tiller arm, Works OK, but a bit stiff, the shaft hasn't been greased yet, I don't want to grease it until I've stopped making dust that might get in there..

During the week I spent a lot of time working on the layout for the 12 bits of string that have to reach me in the cockpit, Sat in the boat and... hardly any of them of them would have worked.
    So after much thought and playing with a representative bit of string while sat in the cockpit, what has been settled?

The 12,
    1 Jib in furler ............Cockpit side
    2 Jib out furler ..........Cockpit side
    3 Jib sheet port .........Cockpit side
    4 Jib Sheet Starboard .Cockpit side
    5 Jib Halyard .............Cockpit forward face (I've found I can reach it from the seat, when not sat in a racing position)
    6 Jib Vang .................Probably on a cockpit side though I've not worked out a exact spot for it yet.
    7 Main Halyard ..........Cockpit forward face
    8 Main topping lift ......Cockpit forward face
    9 Main out haul ..........Already hangs from Boom in front of helm,
    10 Main Cunningham ..Take round block back onto boom within reach
    11 Main Vang .............Arrange so jammer is at top of vang within reach
    12 Main Sheet ............Drops from boom in front of helm, will add switchable ratchet block to cross bar in front of helm.

Moving the halyards to the front face of the cockpit now means I need to find a new safe home for the tablet computer, not worked that out yet either..
    Last edited by The Q; 09-13-2021 at 02:33 AM.

SWMBO's weaving group has a lady who has just offered the use of an industrial sewing machine, which she bought for working on their own boat covers... Boat covers... Now pricing materials to ordered in a weeks time....

Also considering sails.. Looked at kit's, but as far as I can find none available in the UK, and by the time you've imported a Sailrite kit added VAT, import duties and the couriers extortionate fees you may as well buy premade here..

The materials would cost around 150, But a premade jib and main 1000. Do I have the confidence to design and make a main and jib? the juries out on that one.. More research needed..
    Last edited by The Q; 09-16-2021 at 02:43 AM.

Meanwhile no actual boat work for two weekends. I've been visiting my parents for the first time for nearly 2 years due to covid.. 417 Mile drive each way, heavy traffic..
    While there I've spent some hours working on the layout, getting sheets etc from the jib and all the other ropes to me, sat in the boat.
    Some measurement will take place this morning, after that some orders are going in. There will need some deck mounted turning blocks, and some through deck bushes though they will actually go through the cockpit sides.
    A pack of 10 identical cam cleats has been ordered for the general fit out.

Also I've been hunting dyneema , for steering control lines, halyards, furling line. 4mm and 2mm will cover most of it. The jib and main sheets will conventional ropes as my tired paws need thicker ropes for comfort when actually sailing. That too will be ordered today after some measurements.

Tying on an overall cover is interesting, the only solution I can think of is to drop the ropes / straps under the hull. I've had eyes on / through / under, the gunnel before but this gunnel is rubber so eyes / loops / hooks are not an option. The bow will be laced, the stern, and mast a draw string.

Time to get my overalls and get out there.. two weeks and the grass has gone mad, much mowing to be done.

Well Saturday I fixed the mouse hole into the pantry by filling it with Mortar. That went well..
    Mouse Hole? yep they climbed the outside wall somewhere, came along the guttering, ate their way through the facia board, then the ceiling and entered that way.. There was no triangle of mortar between pantiles and top of wall .. Now there is, so no way in.. The facia board will be replaced at a later date..

Then to extract the broken drain rods with scraper on the far end, I'd bought a tool that does the job and it did, it even found a very old wooden drain rod I didn't know was down there. Once extracted there was a big gurgle and the contents of the system disappeared down the pipe.

Unfortunately my back went badly during this , nothing more could be done that day and I had to be careful Sunday.

When..

One hatch was painted on top, and it will still need another coat, one end of two other hatches were painted.

Then I sat in the boat with a cam cleat, some hardwood wedges, a bit of string and a pencil. After trying various positions I worked out where they would go and the shape needed for the wedge sides.

Six sets of wedges (white oak) were carved and sanded to shape round the cam cleats, then varnished, the foredeck hatch and the forward registration number board were also varnished again.

I couldn't finish the steering gear as we had a rainstorm, the rain was hitting the back of my neck while sitting in the chair on board, that's 7 ft up to my head and 9 foot under the marquee cover.. That's almost horizontal rain... So working at the rear of the boat would have been very soggy.

The cover material has been ordered, Blue of course, along with Blue extra strong thread to sew it with.. White thread would show the errors too much..

Next year I might be able to compete in this in my own boat, But this year..

Start time around 10:00 Horning,
    To a buoy Between the Dyke to Eastwoods and Acle Bridge.
    To a buoy Between Womack Dyke and Potter Heigham Bridge,
    And return to Horning, In light weather the start is often moved down to Horning waterworks..
    Races are shortened to finish, with time to be lowed back to Horning before before sunset.
    81176be735f84b94a49f7a4d3daad07c-0001-e1633095794169.jpg

BACON.... Mmmmm

Yep, our tea bar is famous for it's bacon rolls 1:50 each.. They also do egg and sometimes sausage, or any combination of the 3...

Well, I had a long weekend off, but that didn't mean more time on the boat.. Sadly we've reached the age where friends start dropping off their perch.. The Black suit will be worn increasingly often.. This time a friend of SWMBO, the lady who died's Husband died last year, and her son is seriously ill and was accompanied to the funeral by two nurses..

So over the weekend.

Drilled holes through cockpit sides, for jib sheets, and jib furler lines,then sanded and painted. Might require more painting.
    Also drilled sanded and painted holes to mount rear view mirrors.

Rigged steering controls found a problem which requires a longer tiller arm, made fixed on, but requires nuts for the bolts not yet finished.
    Varnished forward hatch, boat number board and cleat wedges..

A couple of pictures.
    Hatches loosely in place the nearest stays with the boat when sailing.
    IMG_20211017_131705_2.jpg
    A general view of, cleats mounted on wedges, a rear view mirror, the forward hatch, the forward number board, and one of the turning blocks for the jib sheets. They're sat on or leaning against the box I use to hold small bits to be used on the boat so they don't go and hide..

IMG_20211017_131705_1.jpg

Very little boat work done this weekend, the steering gear isn't working correctly, it's harder to turn one way than the other. So a slight redesign of the rudder head needed a new top load bearing washer.
    So I spent a considerable time making a 42mm Inside diameter tufnol washer. This is now in place with grease between it and the fixed tufnol beneath. A new bolt hole is needed through the shaft, then it will be time to try again.

I went to the sailing club to watch the start of the Tri icycle race, which I didn't.. they moved the start a couple of miles down river due to an awkward wind direction.

I did meet one of the men who taught me to sail, 40 plus years ago, I was at my first working RAF station where he was a Warrant Officer, so he must be around 90 now.. still active if not sailing as much...

Well the Tufnol Washer did it's stuff and I moved the mounting points for the turning blocks to get a better angle..

The rudder /Steering now works well... Except.. Fully over it locks up, and it also locks up if you make the ropes tight, so there is a lot of slack in the system not good for accurate steering.. So there is no way round it but I'm going to have to make a steering quadrant., I was trying to avoid that, as when I build the next rudder it will need a different quadrant..
    So during this week I'll draw it up, it will be made of at least 3 layers of ply..

Other than that the holes through the Cockpit sides and surrounding areas were sanded and a second coat of paint applied.. If it looks ok, next week the jib cleats and mirrors will be mounted.. and I might treat you to another picture or two.

Ah forgot to post the picture of cleats and mirrors..
    IMG_20211113_121907.thumb.jpg.9d37b102e93b0461bda8e78b3287d4ec.jpg

Since fitting them...
    The next iteration of the rudder head has been a cross bar with the strings running forward and crossing sides between the rudder, behind the helm, then via some moved blocks to the steering controls. No pictures yet because it's a lash up to see if it works... and it did.. Even though it's a lash up, that took several hours work.

So the final version will need a spacer between the cross bar and the tufnol washer. The Cross bar may need some reinforcement and a spacer is needed so the crossing steering strings don't rub against each other..
    So that's what is next weeks work, with some planning and design between now and then..

When the next rudder is built, I'm hoping to have the shaft 6 inches shorter, which means realigning the strings again, so thought is going into that as well..

Absolutely no work done on the steering this week, with a gale running down the North Sea on Friday / Saturday, the marquee roof was taken down, put over the boat and the boat trussed up like a turkey...

So into the workshop it was with the heater running.... To combat the hail, rain and generally yuk conditions..

I got the angle grinder out and cut a slot in the end of the Jib club tube, the slot was long enough for a sheave and a bolt at the end of the tube to retain the jib outhaul going over the sheave so it didn't jump off.
    Much trimming till it was right, I'm going to use a dremel, probably next week to tidy up the odd corners the angle grinder couldn't get into..
    A block was selected to donate a sheave, one I made 20 years ago while in Saudi, where on night shift I had the use of a full mechanical workshop next door to our radar lab.

Then pilot holes were drilled for the pivot point of the Jib Boom and the vang at the fore end of the JIb boom.

I then raided various boxes stored around the place for boat fittings, this has provided horned cleats, cheek blocks, normal blocks and all the necessary bits and pieces for rigging the boat..

Next week, finish the Jib Club, then hopefully a picture, and start taking down the pipe framework for the Marquee. There's no point putting the roof back on, once the poles are down I'll make preparations for putting the boat on the trailer...