Thread: Want Modified Deep Vee 24' hull design

Default Want Modified Deep Vee 24' hull design

Need help finding some hull plans for my next build.

Going for the topsides look of a mid 1950s Chris Craft Sedan with Flybridge at 24’ LOA and beam at 8’ max. Here's a pic just for reference..

54_CC_sedan.JPG

There are some plans around for similar boats (glen-l has a few, for example), but most are fairly flat at the transom (deadrise ~5 degrees), that I fear won’t suit the water where I boat in NW on the Columbia river. In the afternoons, wind picks up and white caps and chop abound. My family won’t enjoy the pounding.

I can take care of building out the deck, cabin and cockpit, but what I’m looking for is a modern hull design I can build on top of for a more comfortable ride on this river. I don’t want to go for a straight deep vee hull that can take the chop but will plane only at higher speeds, and that rocks and rolls at low speed and while stopped. I won’t be taking this out in the ocean.

I want a fairly modern plywood Modified deep Vee hull design with deadrise at transom of about 15 degrees (+/-) and either chine flats, strakes, or something to get it on plane reasonably quickly and add stability at low speed. Also looking for a hull with a profile view sheer with slightly reverse curvature, higher at midships, to help with the retro appearance I’m looking for.

What designs have hulls like this that I can consider. I don’t care what the general arrangement of cabin/cockpit are, because I’m going to build that out differently anyway. Will consider outboard and I/O (not so hot on straight line inboard) options in the 100-150hp range, at this point.

Suggestions? Many thanks!

Default Re: Want Modified Deep Vee 24' hull design

Gonna be tricky with that low chine forward. Deep "V"s usually raise the chine and rake the bow more.
    The Fairy Huntsman is probably the closest.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Thanks for your reply Peerie!

Some of the older cruisers had more rake on the bow than in this pic, and I'm okay with that. Also okay with raising the chine. To clarify, the boat I build will look like a 50s Sedan from the sheer (profile view) up, but below that it doesn't have to. I'm flexible on the sheer from plan (top) view.

This Fairey Huntsman is an old design too, like the ones I'm looking at, and doesn't appear to have flat chines or anything to help it get up on plane. I'm looking for a modern hull design and the cabin doesn't need to appear anything like what I plan to build.

I'm still learning, but my impression is that modern modified Vees have a variable deadrise, not so constant like this Fairey from midship back. Right?

I do really appreciate your feedback and ideas though, thanks again!

It's not exactly what you described and was designed for Puget Sound not the Colombia River, but Sam Devlin's Surf Runner 25 came to mind to me based on your description. It would look just fine with that sort of top, but it has a very classic look with the canvas top as designed.

https://devlinboat.com/surf-runner-25/
    Last edited by cluttonfred; 03-15-2021 at 07:03 AM.
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

The Blue Jacket 24 comes to mind. I don't know if there's as much deadrise in it as you want, but seems to be in the general range of the type.

-Dave

Thanks to you both for the ideas!

The Surfrunner looks like a candidate. Thanks. I got the study plan and will look closer. Can't tell right off what structures help it get up on a plane. If anyone knows please chime in.

I have looked at Bluejacket. It could be right on the edge of having enough deadrise for me, but it looks like it's designed for just a 50hp motor. I want at least double that. Perhaps the transom could be beefed up? Maybe the designer Tom could answer that.

Any others to consider?
    Last edited by garyb; 03-14-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Maybe a dumb question, not having built a SnG, and not with the intention of hijacking my own thread, but is it practical for 1 person to do all the stitching on a big SnG boat by themself or do you need one person on inside and another on the outside to be reasonably efficient at it? I will be building this boat on my own, mostly.

I can imagine bending a bunch (boatload literally :-)) of wire bits into horseshoe shapes, pushing them all through holes from the inside, in batch, then going outside and twisting them all. Certainly can't imagine doing them one at a time.. :-/

If it were me, I think Id go for Surf Runner but with back-to-back seats in lieu of the bar and galley station. That would let you seat four people comfortably out of the wind plus more in the cuddy if needed. You could still have one or two coolers and/or storage under the seats. You could pipe heat off the diesel stern drive or easily install one of those little Chinese diesel bus/van heaters. With a self-contained portable toilet under the V-berth easily moved when desired plus a galley box with a little backpacking stove, youd have a fine camp cruiser as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

Thanks Matthew for the suggestion to look at Sam Devlin's 25' Surf Runner! After all my homework, I decided that's the boat for my build. Since I want to put an outboard on it, I had Sam redesign the transom for a 200 HP, instead of the inboard on original design. Starting as soon as the wood arrives.

PS - If anyone wants Glen-L Vera Cruise plans (new, unused, not even unfolded, with 2 copies of the full size patterns, you can have for half price and I'll ship for free. Just PM me.)