Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: Calendar Islands Yawl 16 in Chattanooga

Default Re: Calendar Islands Yawl 16 in Chattanooga

Quote Originally Posted by dalekidd View Post

The plans call for "floor timbers" to be added to the bottom of the boat under the floor. They are like joists. My plan is to make the removable floor optional. When not in use, the timbers would create a tripping hazard so I'm going to attach some blocks on the underside of the cross pieces of the platform which will take up the small gap between the floor and the bottom of the boat.
    Curious whether you checked with Clint about that -- often floors are pretty structural, and I wonder if that'd make that part of the bottom of the boat more flexible (and thus, flexing and stressing everything else) than intended. If he's okay with it, no worries of course, but could be worth checking (and, you could probably always add stiffness with fiberglass and keep the same general approach).
    Daniel

Building a Campion Apple 16.

Quote Originally Posted by dbp1 View Post
    Curious whether you checked with Clint about that -- often floors are pretty structural, and I wonder if that'd make that part of the bottom of the boat more flexible (and thus, flexing and stressing everything else) than intended. If he's okay with it, no worries of course, but could be worth checking (and, you could probably always add stiffness with fiberglass and keep the same general approach).
    Hey, thanks for the input. I did talk to Clint about it. I was concerned about that very issue. He seems to think it would be ok. I did fiberglass the floor aft of the midship frame with 8 oz glass. I'm not fully decided. I certainly want a strong boat. My biggest worry at this point is the abuse it will take on a trailer. I'd sure hate to bounce it to pieces! Floor timbers certainly wouldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by dalekidd View Post
    Hey, thanks for the input. I did talk to Clint about it. I was concerned about that very issue. He seems to think it would be ok. I did fiberglass the floor aft of the midship frame with 8 oz glass. I'm not fully decided. I certainly want a strong boat. My biggest worry at this point is the abuse it will take on a trailer. I'd sure hate to bounce it to pieces! Floor timbers certainly wouldn't hurt.
    If Clint says its fine, I would imagine it is!

If you're still worried though, one option that's in the plans for the boat I built was to add 60mm x 10mm longitudinal "stiffeners" (which I didn't do, as I added floors to have raised soleboards). Here's a snippet from the plans (the shaded parts are the stiffeners), to give a sense of what that means. It would complicate your drop in unit though...

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 2.37.17 PM.jpg
    Daniel

Well, this turned into quite the exercise! I decided to install the floor timbers; howbeit I did modify the setup slightly. The plans call for 3 in the cockpit; I installed 3 but moved one back slightly so that there are none under the forward section of the floor. For added strength I doubled the one at the joint of the two sections. My intent is to sail with only the aft section of the floor. This should give me a little more foot/leg room near midship as well as give me a foot brace for rowing. If I plan to overnight on the boat, I'll sail with both sections.

Here are the 3 timbers. The aft most timber has a corrective piece of ply glued to it. It turns out my platform is slightly off plane. I used repurposed wood so I guess there was some twist in some of the boards. The platform "rocked" a bit so a little extra was needed on the back timber. Not very professional I guess, but it is out of sight anyway. The forward most timber sits lower than the other two because the cross-piece on the floor boards will rest on it; whereas the other two cross pieces are offset from the timbers.

IMG_8346.jpg

With one section installed in "day-sailing" mode. You can see the "ledge" on the front edge of the section. The forward section rests on this ledge in both the lower and raised positions.

IMG_8347.jpg

The underside of the forward section. I glued the blocks on and, after a second thought, felt they needed a little more strength; so I glued a strip of ply to each row.

IMG_8351.jpg

Here again is the platform in both lowered and raised positions:

IMG_8315.jpg

IMG_8292.jpg

The platform and timbers wound up taking a little more than 20 hours to build.
    Last edited by dalekidd; 08-13-2022 at 11:20 AM.

Looks nice!

Do the floor sections attach when they are down? (toggles, shock cord, etc) I assume they don't slide around, but if you capsize...
    Daniel

Good question. Clint has some instructions in the plans which include tabs and bungees. I've not looked at that closely yet, but I will have to secure them some way. There will not be a lot of room for them to move while the boat is "on its feet", but in a capsize they could easily go overboard.
    Last edited by dalekidd; 08-13-2022 at 11:25 AM.

The floors get held in by hardwood tabs on the aft bulkhead and middle frame. We are devising a shockcord hold down method for the middle of the boards where they come together.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

I've been after the little stuff the last bit. I cut out some padeyes (I guess that's what you'd call them). I'll glue them to the inside of the hull around various places to give me something to strap down my gear. I routed a 1"x1/4" slot down my board and then cut them out.

IMG_8364.jpg

I also cut out some fairleads. I'm going to run a line underneath the inwale from the fore to the aft bulkheads. Again, give me something to tie fenders and what not to. I used a hole saw, drill bit and countersink bit to do these.

IMG_8363.jpg

I've cut out the bracket that will hold my boomkin down as well as the hole for the boomkin through the transom. That was tricky. Of course, the transom is not square to the seat and the boomkin doesn't go through the hole exactly parallel nor square to the seat either. I used a drill, a jig saw, key hole saw, a rough file, sand paper and a piece of ply cut the size of the boomkin to do the hole. Took me 3 hours! It's a bit rough. I had a little chipping, a little "overcutting", etc. It'll be painted so I may be able to hide the imperfections. Here is the hole with the boomkin inserted and aligned with the mizzen mast hole. The hole has squared corners. I rounded off my boomkin; hence, the bit of light coming through in the corners.

IMG_8394.jpg

I shaped up the end of my mizzen mast too. It was a bit oversized so I shaved it down using a piece of ply with two holes to size. I'll recoat the bare wood when I do the brightwork. One reason for shaving it down is the size of the hole saw. Plans called for 2-1/8" diameter at the point where the mast partner is. So happens that is a standard size of hole saw. So there ya go.

IMG_8385.jpg

Lastly, I had to try out my tent for size. That's a huge sleeping platform and this 2-person tents fits fairly well except at the stern. I may sew a dart into the tent to get that to fit a little better. (Perhaps you can tell that I routed the edges of my gunnels and inwales with a 1/4" roundover bit.)

IMG_8371.jpg

Almost ready to sand and paint. I guess the main mast partner and step will be next though.
    Last edited by dalekidd; 08-20-2022 at 10:29 PM.

YIKES!!!! What in the world is this????

I pulled my boomkin out the other day. It has a routed hole all the way through it. I held it up to the light (like looking through the barrel of a rifle) and couldn't see anything. I stuck a long thin piece of wood up into it and it was clogged with dirt and stuff. I was able to break it loose fairly easily.

Today I pulled out my main mast. I'm working on the mast partner and step. It is a birdsmouth mast so it is hollow. It does have a weep hole through the base and the partner plug. While I was working on it, I noticed about a half dozen tiny holes in one of the staves. They were all in one of the pieces with none beyond the scarf. I decided to push that stick up into the weep hole. Clogged dirt came out along with a tiny critter!!!!

Here is one of the holes:

IMG_8397.jpg

A 1/16" drill bit fits it just about perfectly. The bit will only go as far as the bird's mouth where the two staves are epoxied together. None of the holes seem through to the hollow middle (unless they make a turn which I can't tell). I repurposed this wood from an old bowling alley. I was told it was douglas fir. I'm no expert, so I took the guy's word for it.

Here is some of the junk that I shook out of it after poking the stick up into the hole. For scale that's a 2x4 the stuff is lying on.

IMG_8398.jpg

Do you see the little round dark thing? Here are close-ups of top side and bottom side of it:

IMG_8399.jpg

IMG_8401.jpg

What is it??? Should I be concerned???? If so, what should I do about it? I built the mast a year ago and it has been under my sunporch, suspended from the joists on hangers, out of the weather ever since. The boomkin, mast, other spars and oars were all hanging together. Lattice is the only thing that covers the underside of the porch. I'm wondering if that one piece of wood may have been infested to begin with although I would have used more than one piece from the used joist. They were 2x8's 10-14' long.
    Last edited by dalekidd; 08-22-2022 at 11:02 PM.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

The holes sound like they were probably made by some type of wood boring beetle. Some species of mason bee might have decided to nest in the holes.

Awesome, Dale! I dunno how I missed this thread for so long.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

That is likely the abdomen of a carpenter bee. You can prevent them returning easily because they return to the same location. Seal the holes and donít store in the same place.

(Changing the location gets much harder when the carpenter bees decided to eat the wood trim on my exterior doors. Have to keep it finished and seal any holes they make.)
    Last edited by MattMKE; 08-25-2022 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UCanoe_2 View Post
    Awesome, Dale! I dunno how I missed this thread for so long.
    Thanks for "finding it". Be sure and check back soon. I'm hoping to begin painting the interior this coming week.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMKE View Post
    That is likely the abdomen of a carpenter bee. You can prevent them returning easily because they return to the same location. Seal the holes and don’t store in the same place.

(Changing the location gets much harder when the carpenter bees decided to eat the wood trim on my exterior doors. Have to keep it finished and seal any holes they make.)
    Thanks for the reply! The location will get changed, from storage to the boat!!! I imagine they went in through that weep hole. I may have to cover that somehow but the reason it's there is to prevent moisure build up on the inside of the mast.

I'm more concerned with the beetle holes. I took a plug out of one and see no noticable damage. I plugged it back up and am going to swish a borate product around the inside. If I see more holes, then I'll get worried.

IMG_8412.jpg

IMG_8417.jpg

IMG_8428.jpg

Of course, I'll sand the plug level and finish it. I did line up the grain but it rotated when I knocked it in. Oh, well.
    Last edited by dalekidd; 08-27-2022 at 11:40 AM.

Continuing with the little stuff.

When I made my mast, the stub at the bottom which slips into the mast step came out off center. Don't ask me how. That's just how my work turns out sometimes. That meant that my mast would be thrown off of it's correct orientation. I decided to try and come up with a solution. I cut out a piece of cardboard, shaped it into a circle with the prescribed diameter, taped it to the bottom of the mast and filled it with slightly thickened epoxy. Umm? It actually came out pretty good.

Of course, the mast had to be upright.

IMG_8408.jpg

And then the cardboard removed.

IMG_8414.jpg

I'm good with it. Still about a 16th off but now I feel better about installing my mast step. I'll make that slight adjustment.

Here is the mast step installed. It is 4 layers of 9mm ply epoxied together. It has a weep hole to drain any water that might get into it. Once the epoxy set up a bit, I did smooth the fillets after taking this picture.

IMG_8446.jpg

I've also done the mast partner. Once again, I laminated plywood. I know some exotic species would look nice, but I went with what I had: left over scraps of ply. It's 4 layers of 6mm.

IMG_8431.jpg

I also made the gate for the partner. I had a piece of wood, not sure the species, so I used it. Not big enough for much of anything else. The plans called for a gate 1-3/8" thick. I laminated two 3/4" pieces. When I planed it down, somehow I messed it up royally. To fix it I was left with a gate 1-1/8" thick. Ugh! Now what? I decided to just epoxy two tabs on the underside to take up the slack between two brackets that will hold the gate. Should work fine.

IMG_8429.jpg

I've also made a daggerboard plug and cut out some trim for the top of the daggerboard. Pics to follow.

Just a couple items on the punch list before painting.

Looking good! Do you think you’ll get it in the water this season? Not sure when the water starts getting chilly in TN.
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dbp1 View Post
    Looking good! Do you think you’ll get it in the water this season? Not sure when the water starts getting chilly in TN.
    That's the plan. In fact, there is a gathering of boat builders on our lake at the end of September. I'm going to try and have it painted by then and the trailer fitted out so that I can take it. I doubt I have time to build my Sailrite main sail and rig the boat, so no sailing then. I may just leave it on the trailer or perhaps row it to the resort from the public dock just around the corner. By mid to late October though I'm hoping.....

I can actually sail all year round here. 50's and 60's are frequent daytime highs here. Occasionally warner.
    Last edited by dalekidd; 08-31-2022 at 09:29 PM.

A couple milestones reached: I passed the 500 hour mark and I'm ready to paint the interior!!!

The last couple weeks I've been slogging along knocking out that little stuff and the last two nights just sanding.

I made a plug for my daggerboard trunk. Again, I used what I had: plywood.

IMG_8452.jpg

IMG_8451.jpg

I also added trim to the top of my daggerboard. One side is simply screwed on which will give me access to the knots of my rope "handle".

IMG_8456.jpg

I also added a doubler to the forward tank lid overhang which will carry the load of the downhaul.

IMG_8472.jpg

Also glued down a 3" square of 1/4" ply under my midship thwart next to the trunk which will be the location of a brass drain plug.

Here she is ready for paint.

IMG_8475.jpg

This boat has more nooks and crannies than a Thomas' English Muffin - gonna be a tedious job but here goes.
    Last edited by dalekidd; 09-07-2022 at 10:42 AM.

Brightwork just about done. I can't get the Helmsman Spar Urethane to go on without leaving very tiny bubbles. Not sure why. Paint and surface are the same temp. Product is not shaken, only gently stirred. Using a high quality bristle brush. Surface was wiped with a damp cloth before painting. I'm not dipping brush and then swiping it against the lip of the can. Product is fairly new - I bought it last year when I was doing the spars. They came out nice. This is the third coat. Wood should be sealed by this time. Oh, well. I'm going to buy two spray cans of the product and spray on a final coat after another light sanding. I've done that before and it comes out nicely.

IMG_8486.jpg

IMG_8480.jpg

Hope to get the painted surfaces done this week.

are bubbles coming from outgassing from raw wood surface? Or are you applying to cured epoxy?

Quote Originally Posted by gray duck View Post
    are bubbles coming from outgassing from raw wood surface? Or are you applying to cured epoxy?
    Not epoxied but not raw. Third coat. Sanded and wiped down with damp cloth. Dust? Maybe I should try a tack cloth.

I'm going to call the interior painting done! I have around 25+ hours in it not counting the original sanding. The finish is glossy though not glassy. I still think it will pass as sharp looking.

IMG_8513.jpg

IMG_8510.jpg

IMG_8512.jpg

IMG_8506.jpg

I also built two posts for the mast. (Thanks David Ladd for the inspiration!) Since the mast will not fit inside the boat, I need some way to travel with it. These posts will serve that need as well as act as supports when I use the mast as a ridge pole when the boat is stored under a tarp. Wish I had a shed or garage big enough to store the boat, but I do not.

IMG_8505.jpg

I plan to take the boat out of the workshop tomorrow, turn it over again and finish painting the exterior. I think I'm going to try and spray it. Then I'll have to paint the cove stripe. I plan to use spray cans for that. I've found a Krylon color I think I like.

With all that said, there is still plenty to do. Fit out the trailer, sew the main sail, attach all hardware and rig the boat. Probably looking at another month or more before done.
    Last edited by dalekidd; 09-18-2022 at 06:17 AM.

Lovely!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton B Chase View Post
    Lovely!
    Thanks! Feels good coming from the designer.

I moved my boat outside planning on spraying the exterior. Before I started I needed to finish up the drain plug hole. I started the hole on the inside. I waited to finish cutting it because I didn't want to damage the exterior fiberglass by pushing the hole saw through it. So I finished cutting the hole and filled the hole with slightly thickened epoxy. I put a block of wood lined with plastic under the hole and jammed a piece of wood up against it to hold it in place. I also put a bowl over the top to keep the top side from getting messed up by the tarp which I threw over it for the night.

IMG_8521.jpg

I'll be drilling a hole through the epoxy soon to install the plug. The epoxy will keep any water from seeping into the edges of the plywood.

Because I was going to spray the exterior, I needed to cover the rest of the boat to prevent overspray from getting on anything - in this case rubrail, gunnel and even the inside brightwork. After taping up everything, I tipped the boat up so that I could paint the keel plank and garboards in a near vertical position.

IMG_8522.jpg

IMG_8523.jpg

Unfortunately, I could not get the sprayer going. For one thing, my compressor kept throwing the breaker. After about 3-4 times I gave up. I wound up roll and tipping the exterior. It helped to have the boat propped even doing it that way. I did have a little incident. In the process I rolled the boat off the work bench!!!! It landed with a thud. Only a minor scratch or two in the paint, so no real harm done. I managed to get the boat back up on the bench and went back to work.

Today I painted the cove stripe. Again, I had to cover everything to protect from overspray. I used Krylon Regal Blue. It took four cans and about a dozen light coats. I did not want any runs, drips or errors (so said Johnny Bench). I did have two runs early on but figured out that I needed to turn loose of the trigger when I changed directions. Went fine after that.

Then end result looks really nice. The surface is still a bit rough from the epoxy coating, but I'll have to live with it. In the long run, I don't think it will matter. I'll still enjoy the boat, and it will still draw the looks.

IMG_8528.jpg

IMG_8529.jpg
    Last edited by dalekidd; 09-24-2022 at 07:43 AM.

Very nice!

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Certainly is looking nice!

Tumbles aren’t fun (I had one earlier in the building process, off a sawhorse onto concrete floor), but at least for me, after the initial panic, it gave me a lot more confidence in the structure (despite being light, these plywood/epoxy constructions are very strong!)
    Daniel