Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567 LastLast

Thread: Calendar Islands Yawl 16 in Chattanooga

Default Re: Calendar Islands Yawl 16 in Chattanooga

Very nice! What a fun time for your church family to share in. And I love the name! It's great that your congregation gets excited and joins with you.

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

Lookin' great, Dale! Almost time for launching!
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

There are few days that lodge in the memory as much as the launching of a boat you built.Enjoy it!

Since the big push to get ready for the "reveal", I have not done a lot. I did do the mizzen mast step though. I hesitated to do it earlier. I did not trust myself to get the orientation correct - too many angles and such.

I cut out four pieces of ply, cut holes in them roughly corresponding to the tapered end of the mast, gooped it all up with epoxy and put it in the boat. I covered the mast end with clear plastic wrap so it wouldn't stick.

IMG_8662.jpg

Then I lined up the mast and held it in place with ratchet straps.

IMG_8654.jpg

IMG_8661.jpg

Once the epoxy cured, I removed the mast and cleaned up everything with some sanding and a little chiseling.

IMG_8666.jpg

Should work fine.

Now it's on to the mainsail that I have to build from the Sailrite kit. Hoping for a launch by Thanksgiving.
    Last edited by dalekidd; 10-24-2022 at 11:38 PM.

Sure is getting close!
    Daniel

Building a Campion Apple 16.

I can't tell - Is there a weep hole in the bottom of the mast step?

Nice to see both the masts standing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank K. View Post
    I can't tell - Is there a weep hole in the bottom of the mast step?

Nice to see both the masts standing up.
    I do need to drill a weep hole. I’ve got one on the main mast step. Thanks for the reminder.

Looks great Dale. I will definitely refer people to this thread who want to build a CIY from plans!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Dale, looks like your boat is coming out great. You have been pointing out a few less than perfect parts of your build (I feel the same way when that happens) but no one else will notice. I bet when you showed it off to your congregation no one asked about the epoxy smoothness under the topsides paint. Probably more like “Wow! You built that?”

Congratulations on producing such a nice boat. I’m sure you will love sailing it next Spring.
    Denny Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by mcdenny View Post
    Dale, looks like your boat is coming out great. You have been pointing out a few less than perfect parts of your build (I feel the same way when that happens) but no one else will notice. I bet when you showed it off to your congregation no one asked about the epoxy smoothness under the topsides paint. Probably more like “Wow! You built that?”

Congratulations on producing such a nice boat. I’m sure you will love sailing it next Spring.
    Thanks! And you are right about people's response. Even as I have been aware of the shortcomings of the boat, I've felt all along that it was going to be something I would be proud of, would enjoy and would garner the admiration of onlookers. After a nick or two in the finish and a couple times out on the water, I'll likely forget about those imperfections. In fact, she's already got a nick or two from moving her about. Right now, my eye is on finishing. I've been studying how to rig a balanced lug sail, will order the gear I need shortly and plan to sew up that sail next week. Still shooting for an official launch by Thanksgiving.

PS: I just noticed your resurrected thread. What a beautiful boat. I see you're in Nashville. Do you happen to know John Guider, the sailer/photographer/author? He lives there also. I don't know him, just acquainted through forums and social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton B Chase View Post
    Looks great Dale. I will definitely refer people to this thread who want to build a CIY from plans!
    Thanks! I'm thrilled that you'd do that! And happy to help anyone in any way that I can. Looking forward to getting her on the water!

Quote Originally Posted by dalekidd View Post
    .... I see you're in Nashville. Do you happen to know John Guider, the sailer/photographer/author? He lives there also. I don't know him, just acquainted through forums and social media.
    I don't know John Guider and haven't been active on this forum for several years. About zero wooden boat activity here on Old Hickory Lake. My boat gets lots of comments like "thats a beautiful old Chris Craft".
    Denny Wolfe

I don't know John Guider and haven't been active on this forum for several years. About zero wooden boat activity here on Old Hickory Lake. My boat gets lots of comments like "thats a beautiful old Chris Craft".
    Just thought I'd ask. He's a pretty interesting person. I think he sails on Percy Priest Lake. He gets around a lot - I mean all over the world with his photography. The folks at CLC designed a boat just for him and named it the Guider (https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/...ts/guider.html) He's done the great loop, participated in the R2AK (https://www.clcboats.com/newsarchive...-the-loop.html) and retraced the route and written about the founding of Nashville (https://www.amazon.com/Voyage-Advent...ks%2C81&sr=1-2)

Thanks for the links. Never heard of him until now but his book sounds very interesting. A sailing, rowing, camping adventure sounds great but way beyond my comfort level.
    Denny Wolfe

Dale
    Wooden mast will swell up a bit at sea for a while.
    Even after 10 coats of varnish.
    If your mast step is fitting tightly It might happen that you will have troubles pull the mast out again without brute force.
    Donīt ask why I know this.
    It is more a problem if the foot is parallel sided not tapered.

Cheers
    Max

I knocked out the tiller extension is a couple short afternoons. I simply cut 1/4" ply into three strips 3/4" x 30" and laminated them together. I had copied the curve of the tiller before I put it on the boat. I screwed a few blocks onto the workbench and glued up the lamination. After it cured, I routed the edges with a 1/4" roundover bit and finished it with a little hand sanding. Simple but should work fine.

IMG_8681.jpg

IMG_8682.jpg

IMG_8684.jpg

Tomorrow I have set aside the entire day to work on sewing my Sailrite kit for the mainsail. I sewed my sail for the last boat, but that was 12 years ago and it was less than half the size of this one. We'll see how it goes.

I hate sewing. At least with wood it holds still while you cut it.
    Denny Wolfe

I hate sewing. At least with wood it holds still while you cut it.
    Hey, I can't say it's my favorite thing to do and that dacron sure is slippery, but it's part of the process and it saved me a chunk of money. I only have $400 in the two sails.

So we're finally getting to the mainsail. I ordered the sails way back at the start of the project even though I knew it would be a long time getting to them. I ordered a finished mizzen. It was virtually the same price as the kit. No brainer! I ordered a kit from Sailrite for the main. I built the sail for my SD11 but this one is 2-1/3 times bigger! The prudent plan was to use the church fellowship hall. So away I went.

There are lots of tables in the hall which was one reason to use it. You have to get the sail up off the floor. Here are four tables set up together. This was especially good for rolling up the sail.

IMG_8708.jpg

There was some prep work to be done, especially with the sewing machine. We had to check the needle size. I actually used my phone to check the size. I couldn't read numbers on the needles but with an enlarged picture I could! The directions, which I was sure to read thoroughly, called for a size 16 needle. We also had to load up a couple bobbins (we had to keep doing that too!) and thread the machine. The spool of thread is too big to sit on top of the machine and is meant to feed thread vertically anyway, so we had to rig a coat hanger in a pitcher for that.

The first order of business was sewing panels together in 2's. Here I am sewing two together. They are held together with double sided tape until you can actually stitch them together. You have to roll them together to get them easily through the machine. Notice the thread setup.

IMG_8709.jpg

My wife acted as my trustee "assistant" (actually I'm the assistant) seamstress taking a phone break. She was great! She did the hard work of sewing patches on the sail. I'll have to say, after sewing them on, there is no more wrinkle-free material. They were tough.

IMG_8712.jpg

After sewing pairs of panels together and all the patches that we could, we had to sew all of them together using the roll up method.

Here is the sail with all panels and most patches complete. As you can see, I only requested two reef points. I may be sorry. Most builders are adding three points. In all my dinghy sailing I have only reefed once. This boat will require more frequent reefing because it carries a lot of canvas for its size (it's designed to sail well in light air), but I think two will be sufficient. My reefs are a little deeper than the standard first two reefs.

IMG_8714.jpg

I still have to sew three sets of patches (which were located at seams) and the tape around the edges. Then there will be grommets to install. The kit came with leather for the corners. Not sure if that'll be necessary. We'll see.

Combined we spent a total of 17 hours on the sail yesterday.
    Last edited by dalekidd; 11-02-2022 at 12:10 PM.

That's a really nice day's work, Dale! The junkyard engineering of the thread holder is commendable. The large unobstructed work space is a nice job perk.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by UCanoe_2 View Post
    That's a really nice day's work, Dale! The junkyard engineering of the thread holder is commendable. The large unobstructed work space is a nice job perk.
    Wish I could take the credit but believe it or not, the instructions actually suggest using a wire coat hanger.

And the work space is great!
    Last edited by dalekidd; 11-02-2022 at 02:44 PM.

The sail is finished! It has taken a total of 25 hours.

On day two I sewed the remaining three sets of patches, one on the tack and two reef patches on the luff. Then I sewed the "tape" around the entire outer edge of the sail - approximately 40' total. Then there were the grommets to install which went fairly quickly. For anyone interested, here are some details copied from another forum where I post.

This is my second sail to build. The first was on my SD11 and was about 45 sq ft (that was 12 years ago). This one is something over 100 sq ft. Both were Sailrite kits. They designed the sails according to plans provided by the designers.

The CIY 16 has a mizzen. I bought that sail from Duckworks. An already built mizzen cost virtually the same as the Sailrite kit version. The main sail was a different story. I can't remember exact quotes but they ranged from around $800-1400. I've built mine for $300.

The Sailrite kit comes complete with panels already cut out and labeled with good instructions. They have also been good about answering a couple questions during the build. They've been at this a long time and are good at it.

The key to sewing a sail seems to be to get it up off the floor so that there is no drag on the material caused by it hanging over a small work surface.

Dacron is very slippery and will try to slide off the tables quickly. At one point in the sewing I was using eleven 6' tables. On day two, I actually set tables on top of tables to get my work plane on the same plane as the sewing machine. And because my sail was about 14-15' long, I had them lined up three on each side of the sewing machine (the pic shows 2 but I added another at each end before I finished).

IMG_8719.jpg

IMG_8720.jpg

Sewing the panels together as well as the "tape" around the outer edge was actually the easiest part. You simply roll up the sail leaving the part to be sewed visible.

IMG_8725.jpg

The patches (reefing and corners) are the hardest to do, especially the patches on the interior of the sail. In those cases you have to do some folding and bunching. My fabric is no longer wrinkle-free, but it's not too bad. Won't stay wrinkle-free for long anyway.

IMG_8718.jpg

As you are building your sail, you stick the parts together as you go with double sided tape. They call it "Seamstik". You sew two panels together, then two more til they're all paired, add the interior parts as you go (the ones that don't fall on seams), and finally sew the pairs together into one big sail. Then you finish the patches that fall on the seams. The "tape" around the outer edge is last. Then, of course, there are the grommets to add.

My wife did help. She spent about 7 hours with me to start. She did most of the patch work. I taped - she sewed.

The sewing job is not perfect. Most of it is respectable, I guess. But apart from up-close examination, it will be fine. Most of the job went fairly smoothly though there were a few jams, rat's nests, etc. Our machine did a fine job. Chugged a little but there were times it was sewing through 8 layers of fabric!

All in all, I'm very satisfied.

IMG_8728.jpg
    Last edited by dalekidd; 11-05-2022 at 02:07 PM.

I've been busy with final details and the setup for rigging the boat. I've leathered the oars and mast where it rests in the partner.

IMG_8773.jpg

IMG_8782.jpg

I did mess up a piece of leather while doing the oars. I saw two methods of measuring. One guy used a piece of paper to make a template. I tried that and the leather came up short. Next time I used the leather itself. Worked fine. I was able to use the messed up piece for my buttons.

I've been drilling holes in the spars for lashings and halyard. On the lower end of the yard there will be two holes. When I drilled the second, it took a plug out from between the two. Nothing a little epoxy wont fix.

IMG_8786.jpg

I've attached several cleats to the spars: one on the mainmast, one on the mizzen mast and one on the mizzen sprit boom. I used 4200 on the one on the mainmast. It's for the harlyard.

IMG_8785.jpg

I also attached a fairlead and eye bolt to the mast head. The fairlead will service the halyard while the eye bolt will service the lazy jacks.

IMG_8787.jpg

You can see from the pic I can't seem to drill a straight hole. Oh, well, wont affect their performance.

I've also attached the cleat on the forward bulkhead for my downhaul. I backed it with 9 mm ply expoxied to the bulkhead. I realized I ordered the wrong eye strap for my downhaul. Duckworks has two - each with a 3/8" measurement. I ordered the wrong one. Guess I'll pay shipping twice.

I'm getting real close to launch day. Unfortunately the weather turned today. About a 30 degree drop from 48 hours ago. Gonna be 30 tonight and around 50 for daytime highs through Thanksgiving. I'll take it if I can find a sunny Saturday. I'd like for my family to be a part of the launch. We'll see how it goes.
    Last edited by dalekidd; 11-13-2022 at 06:18 AM.

I am very close to finishing this girl!!!

Laced my mizzen to the mast last night. May do the main tomorrow.

IMG_8811.jpg

Finished my mast partner today as well as a couple other last minute pieces of hardware.

IMG_8814.jpg

Two questions come to mind:

1) I noticed a 2.2 lb bruce anchor at the sporting goods store the other day. I'm thinking that might be a good anchor for this boat. As a possible bonus, I believe it will fit in the lazarette. I have a couple 8 lb danforth style anchors but they seem like overkill except in maybe extreme conditions. 2.2 lbs might be a little light though. I see there is a 4 lb available.

I had this grapnel anchor on my other 11' dinghy but let it go with the boat when I sold it. Was very compact. I only used it a couple times in mild conditions. It was 3.5 lbs. I believe there is a 5 lb available. Thoughts?

anchor.jpg

2) I'm thinking I'm going to leather my mast instead of my boom where they meet and rub whereas most seem to leather their boom. I don't see why this won't work. Boom should be in same relationship to mast whether sail reefed or not. Thoughts?

TIA!
    Last edited by dalekidd; 11-19-2022 at 12:28 AM.

On anchors:

In sheltered areas with no waves, I've used a 2 lb folding seaplane anchor (a Northill) and my boat hasn't floated away. But I wouldn't trust it to hold if I weren't aboard. I sometimes use it to hold the stern off the beach when I tie to shore.

My main anchor is a 12 lb Northill. It's not overkill--I suspect "adequate" or "barely adequate" would be the rating that most knowledgeable people would give it. I think a small Rocna would be my first choice but they're such a pain to stow, and I rarely have to rely much on an anchor as my bow is often tied to shore where I cruise.

As for leathering the mast, I suppose you could. I wonder if the reason it's typically done the other way 'round is that a bump of leather on the mast might inhibit the ease of hauling the yard/sail up the mast?

I hope to see some on-the-water photos soon--your boat looks great!

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Lookin' great, Dale! Hope to see launch photos soon.

Your choice of anchor depends a lot on the nature of the bottom and the weather conditions in your area. I had an 8 lb Danforth that was a good general purpose anchor for my O'Day Daysailer in Chesapeake mud. When I tried a 4 lb Bruce, it would drag in a light breeze. The Daysailer is close to your CIY in size, but maybe has a bit more windage because of the cuddy.

It's safe to say that you will regret having too light an anchor more than one too heavy. It's not a bad idea to have two. You could use a 4 lb. Bruce as your lunch hook and an 8 lb. Danforth as your "big" anchor.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

I thought I might launch the boat this past Saturday. It was a perfect day but holiday events and an emergency surgery on one of our church members knocked out the launch. I probably wasn't quite ready anyway. I've waited 20 months for this so a little more time won't hurt.

I spent three hours this afternoon with some final testing of the rigging and cleaning out the boat. Amazing how many leaves worked their way up underneath the tarp I have covering the boat.

Since my last post I have been working on the details, mostly related to rigging and hardware.

Here are both of the sails flying high.

IMG_8840.jpg

Here is my 4:1 downhaul for the mainsail. I used spectra for the lashings here due to the load that the downhaul will put on them. I only ordered 12' but it went fast.

IMG_8842.jpg

Due to some framing on the inside of my forward flotation chamber, I had to mount the mooring cleat off center. Doesn't bother me - looks ok and will work just fine.

IMG_8843.jpg

I've attached my tiller extension to the tiller. I used a piece of line with a rolling hitch, a washer and a velcro strap. Not sure that hitch will hold though. I may add a thumb cleat and replace the line with bungee cord.

IMG_8862.jpg

I also fashioned two holsters to store my oarlocks when sailing. I mounted them on the aft bulkhead just underneath the side seats - one on each side. A neat idea that Clint suggested.

IMG_8893.jpg

I need to attach a clasp on the lazarette top but I could sail without it. All in all, I think I'm ready. Now to wait for a good weather day and hopefully my family can join me.
    Last edited by dalekidd; 11-29-2022 at 07:49 AM.

That's some nice driveway sailing, Dale! Your boat looks great. We are at a heightened level of suspense waiting for launch.

Neat idea with the oarlock holsters. I don't understand the rigging of the tiller extension, though. Are you trying to build some adjustment into that joint? Seems to me any slack in the line would reduce your control. You could just put another stopper knot underneath the tiller, or use hardware available from Duckworks. https://duckworks.com/racelite-tiller-extension-swivel/ Bunji cord would not be as durable as the line, and could fail at any moment with disastrous consequences.

Bon voyage, we are looking forward to the launch!
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by UCanoe_2 View Post
    That's some nice driveway sailing, Dale! Your boat looks great. We are at a heightened level of suspense waiting for launch.

Neat idea with the oarlock holsters. I don't understand the rigging of the tiller extension, though. Are you trying to build some adjustment into that joint? Seems to me any slack in the line would reduce your control. You could just put another stopper knot underneath the tiller, or use hardware available from Duckworks. https://duckworks.com/racelite-tiller-extension-swivel/ Bunji cord would not be as durable as the line, and could fail at any moment with disastrous consequences.

Bon voyage, we are looking forward to the launch!
    Thanks for the tips! A couple of good options. I actually had a push/pull tiller on my last boat and used a short piece of line with two stopper knots at the connection of the rudder arm and tiller. It usually wound up with a little "play" in it, but was reliable. Plans call for a bungee cord connection with a cleat. I have seen someone else use the rolling hitch. Thought I'd try it, but like I said, I have my doubts.
    Last edited by dalekidd; 11-29-2022 at 01:10 PM.

My attempts to launch Disciple Ship keep getting thwarted. Of course, the holidays were filled with various activities. We had that very cold spell. Now we're in a warm spell that was very promising. I was going to launch yesterday - about 70 degrees with light breeze - but my wife got very sick. Couldn't leave her. (she comes before the boat - but not by much LOL).

So I decided to jockey my 3 trailers around (two have boats on them) to make them a little more accessible. I moved my Hunter out to the road, unhitched the trailer and moved my CIY to another spot. I went to put the Hunter back in the yard. As I was backing the trailer/boat suddenly I saw the load tilt up and back. It came off the hitch!!!!

The first thing I thought was I must have forgotten to flip the latch down. I looked and it was in the correct postion. The only thing that I can think is that it wasn't down on the ball all the way. Maybe the coupler needs adjusting? I don't know. But it happened.

IMG_9009.jpg

That wasn't the worst of it. Notice the outboard. Ugh!

IMG_9008.jpg

IMG_9010.jpg

Guess it might be good for parts????? It was needing work anyway. I was already thinking about selling the boat this year. This will certainly reduce its value. Might look for a used motor. Don't really know at this point.

Then there was the problem of getting the boat back on the hitch. My neighbor was witness to the whole fiasco. He's a nice guy and we help each other. He came over. It was too heavy for even the two of us to push the tongue down. The boat may have slide back on the trailer a bit. What to do? I wound up backing my vehicle perpendicular to the trailer with the hitch underneath the tongue. My neighbor pulled his truck over in line with the trailer. I blocked the trailer wheels, looped a large rope around the tongue, ran it under the hitch on my vehicle and tied it off to my neighbor's receiver. He slowly pulled away and the tongue came down. Once it was near level, one of us was able to hold it down until I could get my vehicle in place to hitch the trailer to it. I was then able to park the boat and straighten out my tarp.

Job done.

Another "story" to add to my long list of boat stories. Sheesh!
    Last edited by dalekidd; 01-03-2023 at 03:17 PM.

Yikes, Dale! I too experienced a trailer unexpectedly jumping off a ball. I was driving around a tight descending curve on a mountain road. The trailer (with boat attached) went over sideways and were dragged by the safety chains for a few dozen feet. That earned a real battle scar:

Afterward I found that the latch was down (and padlocked) but that there was room to adjust it tighter. The other side of that cam latch is a bolt, held in place by a nut. Close the latch on a ball and see how much you can tighten the nut. I tightened mine until it was firm, then backed off about a half turn so that movement was not constrained and the joint sounded relatively friction free. Given how little I know about trailering, you may be wise to seek confirmation. This seems to suggest I'm on the right track: https://www.etrailer.com/question-134607.html .

Sorry to hear about your wife! I hope she's feeling better and that you get a beautiful launch day soon.

- James

Quote Originally Posted by pez_leon View Post
    I found that the latch was down (and padlocked) but that there was room to adjust it tighter. The other side of that cam latch is a bolt, held in place by a nut. Close the latch on a ball and see how much you can tighten the nut. I tightened mine until it was firm, then backed off about a half turn so that movement was not constrained and the joint sounded relatively friction free. Given how little I know about trailering, you may be wise to seek confirmation. This seems to suggest I'm on the right track: https://www.etrailer.com/question-134607.html .
    Thanks, James. When I mentioned the coupler, that’s exactly what I was thinking, that adjustment on the latch. I can tell you that I will be looking at it very closely before I trailer the boat again.

there's a lot of boat aft of the wheels. sometimes water gets in bilge and once it starts moving aft... seesaw

Quote Originally Posted by gray duck View Post
    there's a lot of boat aft of the wheels. sometimes water gets in bilge and once it starts moving aft... seesaw
    Might be but the weight is on the keel which is in front of the axle. The boat was a few inches from the bow stop though there was still some weight on the tongue. Not much but some.

As for water in the bilge, bilge is dry. I once had the cockpit drain get plugged with leaves and rain collected. The boat tipped back. Eventually I started putting a prop under the stern which prevents the boat from tipping when I get on it to work on it.

Dale, I hope your wife is feeling better. This is too much excitement.

That was a nice bit of problem solving getting the tongue back down. FWIW, I always keep the safety chains attached, even when shifting trailers around in the driveway.

We're still looking forward to your launch.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Happy birthday to me! Turned 67 today. What better way to celebrate than by launching your CIY 16 for her maiden “voyage “? Yep! She got wet today!!!! Forecast was good: upper 60’s, mostly cloudy, light winds. Forecast was spot on except for the cloud cover which turned out mostly sunny! Just gorgeous! Didn’t want to do a lot - just get her out. Everything went great! Only glitch was the lazyjacks halyard got jammed, so I was contending with some low lying strings. Oh, I forgot to get in my fenders- bad form. Boat felt good. When the puffs came, the main filled and looked absolutely marvelous!!!! I think I’m in love!

Packed up and ready to go. What was I feeling as I headed to the lake? I was nervous.

IMG_E9194.jpg

Rigged and heading out. Wanted a little space before actually raising the main.

IMG_E9204.jpg

Best shot under sail. The dock where I launched and from where my wife was taking pics was in the wind shadow, so unfortunately I wasn't able to sail close enough for a good closeup shot making any headway.

IMG_E9220.jpg

Headed back in.

IMG_E9225.jpg

Successful first launch!!!!

IMG_E9229.jpg

I think I’m going to change out the main halyard fairlead with a cheek block. Main is kinda hard to raise. Got to work on the lazyjacks. Other than that, just need to get some experience on her. She seems stable. I did buy 100 lbs of sand as ballast but didn't use it. Winds were pretty light. Didn't row her much. It takes some effort but I think she'll move. I might have to adjust my oar locks a little. Time will tell. She slipped off the trailer easily. I didn't have to get wet to launch or retrieve. Once back on the trailer, when I pulled up the ramp she settled right down on the bunks - beautiful!

I think she's going to be fun!

Don't think I'll be quite as nervous next outing.
    Last edited by dalekidd; 01-18-2023 at 02:54 PM.