Thread: Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff Initial Stability

Default Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff Initial Stability

Greetings all,

I am hoping to build the Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff this winter. I am wondering if anyone has experience with the boat and can comment on it's initial stability. We typically launch our current boat off of a trailer (1960s Glasstron), and climb over the sides to get in. Additionally, we like to swim out of it while anchored. I am hoping to be able to do these with the JBLS but I'm worried about it tipping over when boarding while climbing in. I'm also looking at the Ben Garvey, as it looks to be more stable, but would like the JBLS as it seems to be a bit better in chop. I know my current boat is quite heavy, which likely adds to the initial stability.

Thank you for your responses,

Matt

Default Re: Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff Initial Stability

Climb in over the transom.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan

Default Re: Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff Initial Stability

Our Jericho, built to plan, has rather high sides and narrow beam to be boarded over the side in open water as you suggest IMHO.
    We frequently beach it though, and board close to the bow where we can climb in rather easily. (there is a forward bench to step onto) With the aft end afloat, and the climb in assisted by the slope of shore, I can clamber aboard and push off at the same time.

If you are climbing over the side of that Glasstron, you are in better shape than me, so boarding the jericho might not be an issue. However, If it were me, I might take Nick's idea and add a foldable step or ladder off the transom.

Good Luck