Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David G
    • Dec 2003

New Welsford Design

I see John Welsford has released his 'Long Steps' design. An adventure boat that's small enough (19'+) to be called 'sail & oar'. With an expanded version of the 'cuddy' from the SCAMP. I don't need another boat of this sort otherwise I'd be tempted.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)
  • Rob Hazard
    • Sep 2003

Re: New Welsford Design

I'm intrigued with this design. Maybe in a couple years...

Comment

• rgthom
      • Apr 2010

If I did not already have a Walkabout.....

Comment

• Autonomous
        Skerry, Dude
        • Aug 2012

The boat makes a lot of sense for an intrepid sail-n-oar vessel. A lot. Or a smart day sailor with room for three or four. Yes.

I'm considering selling my C-Dory, my Skerry is not kind to my ageing back and is a two person craft. Teaching my grandkids the love of boating is a priority. I don't really want to build another boat, I'm so slow I don't know if the project or me would be done first.

This design has caught me by surprise and I am thinking out loud here. Anyone have a crude, rough guess what it would cost to have one built in the PNW, USA to sail away level?
        ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
        ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
        ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
        ♦ George Orwell

Comment

• john welsford
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Autonomous
          The boat makes a lot of sense for an intrepid sail-n-oar vessel. A lot. Or a smart day sailor with room for three or four. Yes.

I'm considering selling my C-Dory, my Skerry is not kind to my ageing back and is a two person craft. Teaching my grandkids the love of boating is a priority. I don't really want to build another boat, I'm so slow I don't know if the project or me would be done first.

This design has caught me by surprise and I am thinking out loud here. Anyone have a crude, rough guess what it would cost to have one built in the PNW, USA to sail away level?
          Ask David Greybeal, thats David G above. I'll get him any information he needs to quote.

John Welsford
          An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Comment

• Autonomous
            Skerry, Dude
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by john welsford
            Ask David Greybeal, thats David G above. I'll get him any information he needs to quote.

John Welsford
            Thank you, John. I've got some thinking to do and a patient wife to test. I feel like I've gone off half cocked by thinking out loud here.
            Quick question about the sails you sell. I assume you could get the main made with more than one reef? Two actually.
            Lovely design, by the way.
            ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
            ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
            ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
            ♦ George Orwell

Comment

• john welsford
              • Sep 2002

Thank you, John. I've got some thinking to do and a patient wife to test. I feel like I've gone off half cocked by thinking out loud here.
              Quick question about the sails you sell. I assume you could get the main made with more than one reef? Two actually.
              Lovely design, by the way.

Thank you.
              We're now referring sail orders to RSS Sails, the quality is excellent, the pricing very competitive and they've added to their crew to reduce the supply time. Yes, you can order three lines of reef points, or any other alterations you require.

John Welsford

Comment

• David G
                • Dec 2003

Didn't take long. I've had my first two enquiries about kits for Long Steps.
                David G
                Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• Chris Noto
                  • Apr 2017

It's a beautiful boat, one that has me dreaming dreams of building one and doing some sail and oar camp cruising all over these United States! Be still, my heart!

Comment

• Autonomous
                    Skerry, Dude
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by David G
                    Didn't take long. I've had my first two enquiries about kits for Long Steps.
                    P.M. sent.
                    ♦ George Orwell

Comment

• Autonomous
                      Skerry, Dude
                      • Aug 2012

Hello, David G. I sent a PM a while back, are you still in business? Do you not want my business?
                      ♦ George Orwell

Comment

• David G
                        • Dec 2003

Hello, David G. I sent a PM a while back, are you still in business? Do you not want my business?
                        I appear to have not gotten it. Please do send again... or email: [email protected]
                        David G
                        Harbor Woodworks

Comment

• offbelayknife
                          juvenile geriatric
                          • Jul 2021

Is anyone aware of ongoing builds, build threads, more photos, etc of this design? Other than John's one that I think is still in progress on his blog and the prototype in the OP I've been unable to find much.

I've got plans for Tender Behind on the way and got the study plans for Long Steps to inspire future daydreams. I'm especially interested in the potential of leaving more of the wood bright and getting a better understanding of how the thwart works between sailing and rowing.

Comment

• john welsford
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by offbelayknife
                            Is anyone aware of ongoing builds, build threads, more photos, etc of this design? Other than John's one that I think is still in progress on his blog and the prototype in the OP I've been unable to find much.

I've got plans for Tender Behind on the way and got the study plans for Long Steps to inspire future daydreams. I'm especially interested in the potential of leaving more of the wood bright and getting a better understanding of how the thwart works between sailing and rowing.
                            I'm between houses / workshops at present, rather than pay rent I bought a little motorhome and am trucking around wherever my whim might take me until I get re established ashore, so my Long Steps is sitting in my late fathers garage. There is no space to work, so I'm taking a break from boatbuilding and drawing.

There are around a dozen sets of plans out there, three that I know of are in build, but if you want pics of any particular stage of the build, just PM me and I'll see what I have.

John Welsford

Comment

• rgthom
                              • Apr 2010

I've got several folks' Flickr shots of NFRTT bookmarked.

John Kohnen: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohne...-64917772@N00/

Dale Simonson: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dale_s...s-ricks_boats/
                              The Salish 100, a group of small boats cruising the Puget Sound, from Olympia to Port Townsend, 100 nautical miles

The Salish 100, a group of small boats cruising the Puget Sound, from Olympia to Port Townsend, 100 nautical miles

Comment

Working...