Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: New Welsford Design

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    76,448

    Default New Welsford Design

    I see John Welsford has released his 'Long Steps' design. An adventure boat that's small enough (19'+) to be called 'sail & oar'. With an expanded version of the 'cuddy' from the SCAMP. I don't need another boat of this sort otherwise I'd be tempted.

    http://jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/long_steps/index.htm

    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Brunswick, Maine
    Posts
    1,951

    Default Re: New Welsford Design

    I'm intrigued with this design. Maybe in a couple years...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Posts
    2,249

    Default Re: New Welsford Design

    If I did not already have a Walkabout.....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    597

    Default Re: New Welsford Design

    The boat makes a lot of sense for an intrepid sail-n-oar vessel. A lot. Or a smart day sailor with room for three or four. Yes.

    I'm considering selling my C-Dory, my Skerry is not kind to my ageing back and is a two person craft. Teaching my grandkids the love of boating is a priority. I don't really want to build another boat, I'm so slow I don't know if the project or me would be done first.

    This design has caught me by surprise and I am thinking out loud here. Anyone have a crude, rough guess what it would cost to have one built in the PNW, USA to sail away level?
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the river, Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    6,996

    Default Re: New Welsford Design

    Quote Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
    The boat makes a lot of sense for an intrepid sail-n-oar vessel. A lot. Or a smart day sailor with room for three or four. Yes.

    I'm considering selling my C-Dory, my Skerry is not kind to my ageing back and is a two person craft. Teaching my grandkids the love of boating is a priority. I don't really want to build another boat, I'm so slow I don't know if the project or me would be done first.

    This design has caught me by surprise and I am thinking out loud here. Anyone have a crude, rough guess what it would cost to have one built in the PNW, USA to sail away level?
    Ask David Greybeal, thats David G above. I'll get him any information he needs to quote.

    John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    597

    Default Re: New Welsford Design

    Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Ask David Greybeal, thats David G above. I'll get him any information he needs to quote.

    John Welsford
    Thank you, John. I've got some thinking to do and a patient wife to test. I feel like I've gone off half cocked by thinking out loud here.
    Quick question about the sails you sell. I assume you could get the main made with more than one reef? Two actually.
    Lovely design, by the way.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the river, Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    6,996

    Default Re: New Welsford Design

    Quote Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
    Thank you, John. I've got some thinking to do and a patient wife to test. I feel like I've gone off half cocked by thinking out loud here.
    Quick question about the sails you sell. I assume you could get the main made with more than one reef? Two actually.
    Lovely design, by the way.

    Thank you.
    We're now referring sail orders to RSS Sails, the quality is excellent, the pricing very competitive and they've added to their crew to reduce the supply time. Yes, you can order three lines of reef points, or any other alterations you require.

    John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    76,448

    Default Re: New Welsford Design

    Didn't take long. I've had my first two enquiries about kits for Long Steps.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Lilburn, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    287

    Default Re: New Welsford Design

    It's a beautiful boat, one that has me dreaming dreams of building one and doing some sail and oar camp cruising all over these United States! Be still, my heart!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    597

    Default Re: New Welsford Design

    Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Didn't take long. I've had my first two enquiries about kits for Long Steps.
    P.M. sent.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    597

    Default Re: New Welsford Design

    Hello, David G. I sent a PM a while back, are you still in business? Do you not want my business?
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    76,448

    Default Re: New Welsford Design

    Quote Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
    Hello, David G. I sent a PM a while back, are you still in business? Do you not want my business?
    I appear to have not gotten it. Please do send again... or email: harbordavid@yahoo.com
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Greater Northern Arizona Republic
    Posts
    522

    Default Re: New Welsford Design

    Is anyone aware of ongoing builds, build threads, more photos, etc of this design? Other than John's one that I think is still in progress on his blog and the prototype in the OP I've been unable to find much.

    I've got plans for Tender Behind on the way and got the study plans for Long Steps to inspire future daydreams. I'm especially interested in the potential of leaving more of the wood bright and getting a better understanding of how the thwart works between sailing and rowing.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the river, Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    6,996

    Default Re: New Welsford Design

    Quote Originally Posted by offbelayknife View Post
    Is anyone aware of ongoing builds, build threads, more photos, etc of this design? Other than John's one that I think is still in progress on his blog and the prototype in the OP I've been unable to find much.

    I've got plans for Tender Behind on the way and got the study plans for Long Steps to inspire future daydreams. I'm especially interested in the potential of leaving more of the wood bright and getting a better understanding of how the thwart works between sailing and rowing.
    I'm between houses / workshops at present, rather than pay rent I bought a little motorhome and am trucking around wherever my whim might take me until I get re established ashore, so my Long Steps is sitting in my late fathers garage. There is no space to work, so I'm taking a break from boatbuilding and drawing.

    There are around a dozen sets of plans out there, three that I know of are in build, but if you want pics of any particular stage of the build, just PM me and I'll see what I have.

    John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Posts
    2,249

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •