Thread: Ballast Tank Plumbing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ballast Tank Plumbing?

I am hoping to improve my process for this coming summer. Right now I have 4 tanks, each with a weighted rubber flapper valve that lets water in the tank but not much out. I launch the boat and rock it back and forth. The tanks fill about 2/3 or 3/4 full, then I need to reach down thru a hatch into very cold water and insert an expanding rubber plug to secure the hole. Then I pump water in to top-off the tank, and secure the hatch. Ballast emptying is a pump process until I have enough out that I can get the boat on the trailer, haul it out, and pull the ballast plugs to dry the tanks. My total water ballast is about #1850. Obviously this party is happening while others wait impatiently for the launch ramp.
    I purchased a pair of two-directional ballast pumps from a hated wakeboard company, but every time I try to think thru the plumbing for two pumps / 4 tanks with fill and empty I get crazy. I would love to keep the tank hatches in place, but this would require an overflow on each tank, and all sorts of valves.

Any ideas?

Ken

Default Re: Ballast Tank Plumbing?

I kinda do this type of stuff for a living; I might be able to help, if you are willing. Let me see if I understand this correctly: You have four 55-gallon hard tanks that you want to fill and drain quickly using two bi-directional pumps and a minimum of plumbing and valves, correct?

What is the tank material?

Can you provide make & model for the pumps?

what do you think is a reasonable time to take to fill the tanks?

Do you have 12v or 24v DC power available on-board?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Wow, thanks for the reply. The pumps are Johnson, F4B-11, 12v. They have a table with different back-pressures, amperage, Liters / minute etc. If you can't find the data on the web easily I will scan it and send. The tanks are the inside of the hull saturated with 10 oz glass, filleted, etc. I have both 12 & 24 volt, my trolling motor "auxiliary" is 24v, I have a relay array to get 24 volt to the trolling motor and when I disengage the relays I go to two 12v batteries in parallel. The flapper valves fill the tanks about 2/3 full as I mentioned and do it quicker than the pumps would, but then there's the problem of getting a secure plug installed. If I had a one-way valve that I could lock securely closed by some means outside the tanks that would solve the issue. Then I would just need a vent that squirted someplace obvious when the tank was full, which I would then close. Attached is a photo of the interior of the boat under construction showing 4 tanks. The open space between the trunk and the tanks currently is batteries and storage, and is available for the tank plumbing,
    IMG_4268.jpg

Thanks for your help,

Ken

Great; thanks. They have a listed capacity of about 12 gpm (assuming friction losses). Do you want to control the tanks individually, or fill/drain two at a time?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I would want to keep the boat in Port / Stbd trim. Are there other things I should be thinking about?

Ken