Thread: band saw blades

Default band saw blades

I was given a Craftsman band saw along with an assortment of blades both new and used. After a little adjustment and replacing a missing set screw, it's working fine. What is your preferred blade size/type for general use? My first job will be ripping some 1x's and rough shaping my oars. I'm thinking a 1/2" blade? TPI?

Default Re: band saw blades

I use a 1/2" blade on my 20" bandsaw 99.99% of the time. Its only limitation is that it can't cut a small enough continuous curve 0.01% of the time. I've settled on the Woodslicer blade that I buy from Highland Hardware. Suffolk Machinery also makes great blades they call the Timber Wolf. You can't go wrong with either.

I will admit that the saw would benefit from having a varied assortment of blade types and sizes available. Match to the job sort of thing. But it's such a pain to change over blades on my saw that I don't bother. Even if a blade was hanging there next to it, I wouldn't bother unless the job at hand was extensive or absolutely demanded it. But in over 30 years using this saw, those times are seldom seen.

Jeff

If you're going with a half-inch blade, 4TPI would work well. Narrower than that, more teeth, especially if you're cutting thin stock. How old is your saw? 12" wheels?

Highland Woodworking 1/2" Wood Slicer. Nice smooth finish, long lasting. Unless I need to cut some really tight curve I dont bother changing the blade.

I use half inch 6 tpi.Not perfect for thicker stuff,but good enough to avoid a mandatory change.

If you are resawing at all, I would second, third, and fourth the woodslicer from Highland. However I put a different blade on for general shop work mainly just to save wear on the woodslicer

I keep a couple of 1/4" 4 TPI AccuRight blades from Carter Products around for my stretched 14" Delta but they don't get much use.

Same with a couple 1/2" 4 TPI I save for re-sawing laminations out of stock wider than about 3".

What's on that saw the rest of the time are 3/8" 4 TPI which seems to work well with both hard and soft woods.

I put a set of Carter's ball-bearing blade guides on back about 1989. Vastly better blade positioning compared to the stock solid steel things the saw came with.

I have a 20" Powermatic variable speed saw and 99% of the time we use a 1/2"x.025 carbon (cheap) 3tpi hook when cutting wood. Cheap blades because I always seem to hit a roque fastener or some other problem and wreck the blade long before it is actually dull.
    (Cutting metal, which I do a lot, is whole other deal, often several inches thick and with power feed)

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    If you are resawing at all, I would second, third, and fourth the woodslicer from Highland. However I put a different blade on for general shop work mainly just to save wear on the woodslicer
    I read something from one of the Highland gurus who said he never cut any curves at all with his resaw blade.

This guy had it dialed in tight, though and was producing veneers about a sixteenth thick.

As to changing blades, it's easier just to have several band saws!

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I keep a 20mm blade with 4 TPI on the saw. Rips and cross cuts nicely. Its on its third sharpening now, probably won't take another one.
    I have a much smaller one, possibly 8mm, with perhaps 10 TPI. It does squiggles nicely, but i never swap it out. The long curves i do are achievable with the 20mm blade.

Don't run a block of bees wax through your bandsaw. You end up with a 20mm wide ruler.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

4 TPI hook Timberwolf has always been my favorite.