Thread: National Guard DC general's testimony

Default National Guard DC general's testimony

Just testified that he received a frantic call from the then Capitol Police chief Sund at 1:49 on January 6 saying that the perimeter had been breached by hostile rioters, and asking for National Guard assistance.

The General immediately called the Department of Defense, and asked for authorization to respond. And simultaneously put National Guardsmen on buses, waiting for that authorization to be received. The authorization came after 5:00, approximately 3 hours later. And the guardsmen were then on site and being sworn in within 20 minutes.

This is damning. And there's much more - on C-SPAN right now.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Default Re: National Guard DC general's testimony

Had a 155 member quick reaction force based at Andrew's waiting and ready to go. Received approval only at 17:08, though the request had been sent 3 hours and 19 minutes earlier. This time gap was a significant departure, certainly different from how protests had been handled last Summer.

Also flagged the significant departure in the memo which the Department of Defense had sent to the DC National Guard restricting their ability to have appropriate riot gear available for the guards members to use, unless expressly directed to by the Defense Department.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

This type of history needs to be recorded lest we easily forget it and are doomed to repeat it. This has all been reported on but finally the truth is put down on paper(or video recordings in this case also). It will be interesting to see if the 3:19 gap of decision making time is also testified about.

General says he was "stunned" at the delay in being able to mobilize the Guard. He had talked with Chief Sund on Sunday, as they're friends, asking him if he was going to request NatGuard support - because he'd need it in writing, in order to address his new requirements from the Defense Department per the memo he'd received.

Sund replied that he had been told that he was not allowed to ask the General - and could not put such a request in writing. But asked incidentally if please the General would have the NatGuard ready to go immediately if he did make a request. Which, of course, was sent by phone at 1:49 on Jan 6.

General noted that the quick response force, which was geared up and outfitted and on the buses at Andrew's waiting for the Defense Department to provide their authorization - with a Capital Police vehicle in front ready to clear the path using a siren.

General is now naming names of who was on the phone from the Department of Defense on Jan 6, advising that it would be poor optics to have uniformed officers on the Hill.

Enter Mike Flynn's brother....
    Can the phone chain be traced to the WH?
    My guess is that the WH/Trump told the National Guard to stand down.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

But, but, but. . . Dr. Seuss!

Gen Walker reads the relevant pieces of the letter he'd recieved from the Secretary of the Army which prohibited him from deploying a Rapid Reaction force except as a last resort, and that the Secretary would only approve this if the request included a pre-submitted "concept of action."

Senator Portman's questions to the General are highlighting that this is very unusual - and that similar requirements even to move 3 unarmed traffic control national guardsmen to a traffic control point 1 block over required the personal approval from the Secretary of the Army.

Unprecedented in his 19 previous years in the force.

Gen Walker says "Normally for a safety and force-protection matter, a commanding officer would be authorized to have the officers outfitted with weaponry and safety equipment appropriate to keep them safe."

DoD official testifying says to Portman's questions that the Sec of Defense specifically wanted to retain that authority himself. When Portman presses on why, this is deflected.

Portman asks "does an attack on the Capitol constitute a "last resort", sufficient to deploy a quick response force?

Salesses (DoD official) says yes. And reads through the timeline he'd been given by DoD to answer. Sec. Miller authorized the Nat Guard at 3:40.

Sec. MacArthy wanted to understand how the Nat Guard's deployment would happen - their tasks, how they'd be employed, etc. before giving his own (necessary) authorization.

Barr leaving early on top of those last-minute Pentagon appointments really makes all of this appear to have been a planned event. It's undeniable at this point I'd say.

The DoD has sent an underling, who was not on the relevant phone calls - and the Senators are almost apologetic in how they have to pin him to the wall.

But when faced with Gen. Walker's testimony, they have no choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Barr leaving early on top of those last-minute Pentagon appointments really makes all of this appear to have been a planned event. It's undeniable at this point I'd say.
    That's how I'm reading it too. All these obstacles were put in place to emasculate the various LEO organizations' ability to respond swiftly, flexibly.

BREAKING: National Guard commander Walker just testified it was General FLYNN and General PIATT that refused to green light guard support to the capitol because of “optics”. General Flynn is michael Flynn’s brother. I’ve been telling about Piatt for weeks. #CapitolRiots

https://mobile.twitter.com/MuellerSh...46553501044736

SecDef made the decision at 4:32 to authorize the Nat Guard, but the decision was not communicated to General Walker until 5:08.

No adequate description for how that gap of over half an hour was permitted to occur. Sen Blunt is hammering on this.

This is extraordinary.

"optics" WTF!

FBI - they'd had a national priority to collect intelligence about threats on Jan 6, including all 56 field offices. Which is why the report was forwarded in 3 different mechanisms, in a manner which included all LEO partners.

That said, no clarity - even under deep pressure by the Senator - about how high this raw intel report went - since it clearly didn't get through some process up the pipeline. Asked if the intel had, in any manner, been forwarded up to the President, Vice, or etc.. No evidence that it had done.

prior to Jan 6, no fewer than 15 separate unclassified warnings from Homeland Security team - "very well written, very specific" about the risk of armed violence of the type and with the actors who showed up on Jan 6 - as recent as December 30 - although none of the 15 warnings specifically mentioned the Capitol. The Homeland Security folks felt that they had in fact warned appropriately of the level and specificity of the kind of threat from these actors.

Sen Feinstein reads the Jan 4 memo restricting the authorizations for responses on Jan 6, etc. Enters it into the record - in response to the claims from the DoD people that this wasn't an unusual restriction.

FBI rep claims that the specific intel gap, the piece "which we lacked," was suggestion that an attack was planned on the Capitol.

Feinstein responds that "that is yet to be seen."

As a small bit of related news:
    Breaking on @MSNBC: The FBI and DHS have issued a joint intel bulletin warning that domestic extremists have discussed plans to "take control of the U.S. Capitol and remove democratic lawmakers on or about the 4th of March." March 4 is important to QAnon believers. @JuliaEAinsley

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Had a 155 member quick reaction force based at Andrew's waiting and ready to go. Received approval only at 17:08, though the request had been sent 3 hours and 19 minutes earlier. This time gap was a significant departure, certainly different from how protests had been handled last Summer.

Also flagged the significant departure in the memo which the Department of Defense had sent to the DC National Guard restricting their ability to have appropriate riot gear available for the guards members to use, unless expressly directed to by the Defense Department.
    I don't think it is playing the race card, but it is an odd coincidence that when the protesters are largely black, unarmed and generally peaceful the NG and local law enforcement response is akin to your town being invaded by Muqtada al-Sadr and his Mahdi Army.

Yet when the threat comes from an almost exclusively white mob, armed, clobbered up in all manner of tactical gear, erecting a gallows on the capitol grounds complete with an unmistakable day-glow orange hangman's noose and shouting "Hang Mike Pence!" and "Where's Nancy?"

Suddenly the NG's response is; "We're worried about the optics of the NG confronting American citizens." Begs the question: who in the name of great Caesar's ghost did they think was protesting last summer?
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

^
    This.
    Lock 'em up.

Stunningly, a Senator notes that on Jan 8, the NY Times described a broad range of publicly available social media conversations among people who were in the Jan 6 insurrection, describing in advance their plans to travel,

FBI person responds that they are not mandated even to track public posts etc on social media, due to 1st Amendment issues, absent a specific predicate. Arguing that they "legitimately" I suppose, didn't have the information exactly because the conspiring had happened out in the open.

Bollocks, says I.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
    I don't think it is playing the race card, but it is an odd coincidence that when the protesters are largely black, unarmed and generally peaceful the NG and local law enforcement response is akin to your town being invaded by Muqtada al-Sadr and his Mahdi Army.

Yet when the threat comes from an almost exclusively white mob, armed, clobbered up in all manner of tactical gear, erecting a gallows on the capitol grounds complete with an unmistakable day-glow orange hangman's noose and shouting "Hang Mike Pence!" and "Where's Nancy?"

Suddenly the NG's response is; "We're worried about the optics of the NG confronting American citizens." Begs the question: who in the name of great Caesar's ghost did they think was protesting last summer?
    Yup, “the optics”.

Once again.

The groundwork was laid, the Horde was pumped up, the military was delayed for several hours . . .

The only element missing from a scenario where the US would be plunged into a years-long, blood-soaked political chaos was Trump, who chickened out from going to the Capitol and instead scurried to the White House like the miserable cockaroach he is.

I am REALLY disappointed that this basic truth is denied by people I hold in high regard for their incisive analyses of various events.
    Rattling the teacups.

Put all of this togeter with half of USA enlisted not taking the vaccine, and the royal FU with Boeing's KC-146 and one wonders whether the USA DOD is worth a Fiddler's Eff anymore.

Fortunately we have the Canadian Forces to our north and the Mexican Army on our south.

tweet from Peter Vroom:
    The Commander of the DC Nat Guard has testified that Lt. Gen Charles Flynn, brother of Mike Flynn, refused to allow National Guard troops to be deployed to the Capitol. Mike Flynn was meeting repeatedly with Trump prior to the insurrection. WH involvement in delay becoming clear.

It’s a little like the decision to disband the Iraqi military. While one can point fingers at a few particular individuals the lack of response is willful negligence in order to maintain a delusional narrative.
    The emperors followers are by definition loyal subjects respecting the kings authority as opposed to scary rabble rousers who are probably muggers, rapists, antifa and liberals. The military was misused at Lafayette Square so let’s not let that happen again, bad optics, and attacking Trump’s loyal followers would look really bad, bad optics. So actual security for the Congress at a vital moment became a lesser priority.
    In a way it’s a perfect example of what Trumpian leadership can do.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Once again.

The groundwork was laid, the Horde was pumped up, the military was delayed for several hours . . .

The only element missing from a scenario where the US would be plunged into a years-long, blood-soaked political chaos was Trump, who chickened out from going to the Capitol and instead scurried to the White House like the miserable cockaroach he is.
    My wife suggested at the time that Trump was obviously enjoying self-gratification while watching it all play out on the tv...
    Too busy for a phone call - "Hold all calls"

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    My wife suggested at the time that Trump was obviously enjoying self-gratification while watching it all play out on the tv...
    Too busy for a phone call - "Hold all calls"
    Trying for ''official'' plausible deniability? He didn't know 'officially' because he refused to let anone tell him 'officially'?

I hope the truth catches up quicker than usual.
    Now he's gone. If only he'd be forgotten.