Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast
Results 36 to 70 of 113

Thread: How long will you wear a mask

  1. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    33,837

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    What Rich said, the number of flu cass this year here are miniscule and no deaths. Put down to people wearing masks, washing hands not spreading as in previous seasons. I expect to carry one all the time and wear it where I deem appropriate (supermarkets etc.) and where requested as. courtesy to others.
    The world has changed.
    You raise an interesting question. If we all wear a mask in public spaces, especially during flu season, will we slow the mutation of the flu virus as well as the spread? On line sources say that the flu comes out of the area of China/Vietnam/etc most years, which is where I think the evolution takes place and they tend to wear masks much more than us.
    "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

  2. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    38,525

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    As long as it seems necessary.
    Now he's gone. If only he'd be forgotten.

  3. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    38,525

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Quote Originally Posted by JTA View Post
    I really do not like wearing the masks. I find it difficult to breath. I did not realize how much I rely on facial expressions to effectively communicate.
    Even though our brilliant governor rescinded all Mask mandates and business occupancy limits today, I will continue to wear a mask for the foreseeable future.
    For some odd reason I care about my fellow man and prefer not to infect them.
    Your governor may make wearing masks illegal.
    Now he's gone. If only he'd be forgotten.

  4. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ct.
    Posts
    2,429

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Been told I look better with the mask on, just have to apply some common sense to this issue, when I see people alone driving their cars with it on I have to wonder.

  5. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    38,716

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    Been told I look better with the mask on, just have to apply some common sense to this issue, when I see people driving their cars with it on I have to wonder.
    Since one is supposed to wear a mask once (not take it off & put it on again), if I'm going a short distance, I'll keep it on rather than get out a 2nd mask.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  6. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    13,666

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    What Rich said, the number of flu cass this year here are miniscule and no deaths. Put down to people wearing masks, washing hands not spreading as in previous seasons. I expect to carry one all the time and wear it where I deem appropriate (supermarkets etc.) and where requested as. courtesy to others.
    The world has changed.
    It does seem, without a doubt, that masks and other social distancing measures are much more effective against the flu than covid. It's one of the reasons I was curious as to how people will behave in the future.

  7. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    17,761

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    It does seem, without a doubt, that masks and other social distancing measures are much more effective against the flu than covid. It's one of the reasons I was curious as to how people will behave in the future.
    On what do you base that assertion?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  8. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    38,716

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    On what do you base that assertion?
    Comparing this time with the last time Covid came around when no one wore masks?


    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  9. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    17,761

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Comparing this time with the last time Covid came around when no one wore masks?


    :::Insert eyeroll here:::

    Yeah, all of that ineffective PPE that medical personnel wear...
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  10. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    38,716

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    :::Insert eyeroll here:::

    Yeah, all of that ineffective PPE that medical personnel wear...
    They're all sissies.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  11. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    downward bound
    Posts
    7,323

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Ain’t gonna penetrate

  12. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Groove City
    Posts
    9,596

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    I read that the CDC is coming out with guidelines on Thursday that will say if you are vaccinated, you need not wear a mask in small groups if the others are vaccinated, too.
    Steve Martinsen

  13. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    13,666

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    On what do you base that assertion?
    We have had a historically low level of flu. We have had a huge covid surge. Please note, I never came close to saying that masks do not help to reduce covid infections. I believe they do, by quite a bit. But there should be nothing controversial about saying covid is far more contagious than the flu, and as such masks are much more effective for the flu.

  14. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    13,666

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Comparing this time with the last time Covid came around when no one wore masks?


    Impossible to have an intelligent conversation around here.

  15. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    38,716

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Impossible to have an intelligent conversation around here.
    Can't argue that...

    You said:

    It does seem, without a doubt, that masks and other social distancing measures are much more effective against the flu than covid.
    Canoez said:

    On what do you base that assertion?
    Yes, I see you replied to him, but it wasn't an answer. We've had many flu seasons, one covid outbeak - how can you say what you said?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  16. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kitty Hawk, NC
    Posts
    10,199

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    I think I will continue to do what I have done in the past.

    If my wife or kids tell me to wear a mask, I will. Currently, that means when I am in a building with strangers, I wear a mask.

    I don't wear a mask when I am bicycling. As I am seldom near people. I have a mask around my chin when I walk. Ready to cover my face if I think it is necessary.

    I don't need the government to tell me how to protect my health.
    Life is complex.

  17. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    17,761

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    I didn’t really expect an answer, Garret. An unsupported assertion was made, and as usual... nadda.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  18. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    13,666

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Can't argue that...

    You said:



    Canoez said:



    Yes, I see you replied to him, but it wasn't an answer. We've had many flu seasons, one covid outbeak - how can you say what you said?
    Are we really go back down the path of saying covid is no more contagious than the flu?

  19. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    17,761

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    We’re really saying show something that backs up that assertion that didn’t just spill out of your head to the keyboard. Has there been a scientific study? Can you show actual evidence that backs this up? If you can’t, you’re just smashing away at a keyboard making unsubstantiated assertions.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  20. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    13,666

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    I can show lots of evidence that covid is more contagious than the flu. We have had a historically low flu season. That is attributed to covid prevention measures. So in a period when the flu was historically low, we had a huge surge in covid cases. We have known for almost a year that covid is more contagious than the flu. Are you seriously arguing that taking all that together, it any one if those facts, the evidence does not suggests we have been more successful stopping the flu than covid?

    Why is this controversial at all. Wconyroversial at all? There are likely many less severe viral diseases that are easier to control than covid.

  21. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    17,761

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Because you’re making an assertion with no actual evidence. Cite please.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  22. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    30,335

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Let's see the evidence
    Lots of it

  23. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    65,209

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Trying to prove a negative is a difficult task as, in this case, you'd have to have a control group that you would deliberately expose to the flu virus, and possible death.
    Somewhat unethical, though the Japanese and Nazi's did it in the past. And Aus. and the US 'experimented' on military 'volunteers' during the war. Then there was the 'control groups' left in the path of radiation in nuke. tests both here and in the US and the pacific islands.

  24. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    When the anti fouling on my boat is done.. Since I still have to finish rebuilding the trailer, wire brushing of old rust and paint this coming weekend, unite Keel to Hull and a few other jobs, it'll be proper mask wearing every weekend for some time.

    At work, I don't have to wear one on my own in the lab, but do anywhere else.

    Shopping, It's a legal requirement at the moment . But I wear one from before leaving the car, to getting back in and will continue to do so, until either the legal requirement is over, OR 3 weeks after my second jab, which ever is last....
    Just an amateur bodging away..

  25. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cantão - Brazil
    Posts
    13,881

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    I'll wear a mask until everyone who wants a vaccine gets one.

    After that, f@(k the covidiots and antivaxxers.

    This is what the pandemic did to me.

  26. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    afloat with at least 6' of water under me.
    Posts
    64,109

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    When the CDC says I don't have to.

  27. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    lake erie, Ohio
    Posts
    774

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    One reason Covid is more transmissible then the flu people can shed the covid day's before they have symptoms, and some have no symptoms. With the flu some have innate immunity from previous vaccines or by having the flu previously. With covid we have no immunity it's novel.

  28. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    7,897

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Just to think about it a different way, imagine if somehow, way back in January twenty-twenty, evereyone happened to wear a mask, gloves and stay six feet apart.

    There would have been no community transmission. There would have been no outbreak, no pandemic. Half a million people who died alone suffocating would still be alive.

    Now, suppose, way back in February and March of last year, the news of the scary deadly virus arriving in the country, the president had been anyone but Trump, that the WHO and the US office of pandemic research and etc were performing to design, and the right message went out to the general public. Again, the outbreak wouldn't have turned into the worldwide pandemic we are now living, and dying, through.

    In the next twenty years, there will be a general, public post mortem regarding this current colossal phuck up, such that, should another viral outbreak begin, the public memory and the personal histories of the families that suffered deaths and catastrophic failures in their lives will inform the decisions people make then. Will we, as a country, know to step up and do the right thing? Would COVID 20 kill half a million people in one year?

    In April last year we knew what we were getting. We knew then the thing that would end the misery and suffering and displacement and job loss and business failure and economic hardship. And we were too selfish, and too put out to bother.

    If you pushed back about wearing a mask, staying home except for truly essential business, you helped kill five hundred thousand fellow citizens. If you went to a wedding or worship service or football game or concert or orgy in the desert anyway, you're guilty of being an accomplice to serial mass murder.

    Nobody should wear a mask, except people who have relatives, live among other people in groups like towns and villages and cities and drink water and breathe.

    I will keep a mask in my back pocket and wear it when I am where there are other people until no one needs to be protected.

    Some people, vaccinated or not, still carry virus without knowing it, without symptoms, and close contact with anyone is still a possible contamination spreading event.

    If all of us had done the right thing way back when we first heard about flattening the curve we could have avoided the worst of this.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

  29. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    13,666

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Quote Originally Posted by icyb View Post
    One reason Covid is more transmissible then the flu people can shed the covid day's before they have symptoms, and some have no symptoms. With the flu some have innate immunity from previous vaccines or by having the flu previously. With covid we have no immunity it's novel.
    All true.
    Here one, of many, examples of how the flu season is at historic lows.

    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm#S3

    Here is a article on the subject:

    https://www.today.com/health/flu-sea...earing-t207131

    There were many similiar reports from southern hemisphere countries in the late summer.

    So, we know that the flu activity is at historic lows and scientists and doctors say it is because of the many steps taken to reduce covid activity. We also know that both the US and Europe has had a huge surge in covid cases during that same timeframe. We know they are both respiratory viruses. We know that covid is far more contagious than the flu. How can anyone argue that the flu is not easier to control via social distancing, face masks, etc than covid. It boggles the mind.

    Indeed, one must ask why anyone would make the assertion to the contrary at all? Is it because by admitting that some viruses are easier to control than covid, it somehow reduces the appeal of trying to control covid? I suppose thats most likely. Or is it because if we admit that the flu is practically nonexistent this year and acknowledge it is because of covid-19 prevention measures, that leads to the conclusion that a lot of people have actually been wearing masks and social distancing all along? Only canoez and Garret can explain their reasoning. So far, all they do is request evidence from me. They provide no evidence for their argument. It is certainly an argument out of the mainstream.

  30. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bass Harbor, ME
    Posts
    3,807

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    I will continue to wear a mask for many years. I wear a KN95 mask that is on the CDC list as approved for medical use. I bought us 100 of those after I ran out of N95 masks last spring. I also wear nitrile gloves when I am out and could touch a surface touched by others. I clean the gloves with denatured alcohol after each wearing and wipe down all surfaces in my personal area that I touched with the gloves before cleaning them. I also wipe my face with alcohol after removing my mask. Why so fussy? Three years ago I was treated for leukemia and the treatment wiped out my B-lymphocyte population. That has not recovered significantly so I effectively can not produce antibodies. Despite that I will get vaccinated even though I will most likely get no benefit from the vaccination. I will have an antibody test after vaccination to see if there was any benefit before letting my guard down at all. Note, that for the last three years I have been staying as far away from others as possible and wearing a mask when in close contact with others (i.e., inside or on a public street). A down side of the precautions I have been taking is that I have not been sick since my leukemia treatment started. Because I have not been sick, my oncologist sees no need to have me get immunoglobulin infusions despite the fact that my IGG, IGA and IGM levels at my last test were effectively zero. I get tested twice a year and am due for my next test later this month. One of the criteria for immunoglobulin infusions is frequent significant infections. I do have a decent neutrophil count, but my T-cell counts are only about 15% of normal. So staying alive for me depends on not getting sick. Consequently I will remain a masked hermit for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by Todd D; 03-04-2021 at 08:30 AM.

  31. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    17,761

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    So, we know that the flu activity is at historic lows and scientists and doctors say it is because of the many steps taken to reduce covid activity. We also know that both the US and Europe has had a huge surge in covid cases during that same timeframe. We know they are both respiratory viruses. We know that covid is far more contagious than the flu.
    The flu activity is at historic lows. We know that handwashing, isolation and mask wearing all help to reduce the spread of disease. We also know that travel - which has been greatly reduced - also tends to increase the spread of disease. We have vaccines to prevent the flu and large swaths of the population have been vaccinated for the flu. Humans have some immunity to the flu because of historic exposure - it is not a novel disease.

    Both are respiratory viruses. Check - but Covid has other non-respiratory effects.

    Covid is far more contagious than the flu. Check.

    Add to that fact that Covid has an incubation period and allows for asymptomatic transmission.

    I think we can agree on all of that, Peb.

    Here's where I disagree. I'll point you to your earlier statement in which you said:

    Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    It does seem, without a doubt, that masks and other social distancing measures are much more effective against the flu than covid. It's one of the reasons I was curious as to how people will behave in the future.
    I doubt that remark.

    We know that large outbreaks of Covid are from areas where there was household transmission from family gatherings or gatherings involving other households - people get infected and are asymptomatic. They come home or to these gatherings and spread the disease in a environment where people don't wear masks when together. Parties and other gatherings, both indoor and outdoor, where people are not wearing masks are also spreading events. At a local university, there was an outbreak of over 500 students infected with the disease - the cause? Partying together, without masks. In the general population where mask-wearing is well adhered to, we've seen little Covid spread. Large protests last summer with mask-wearing didn't become super-spreader events. Hospitals where masks are worn are not sources of widespread infection. If masks were less effective in preventing against Covid, we would see that, would we not?

    To say that masks are less effective against Covid than the seasonal influenza is where I take exception to your remarks. You have provided no evidence to support that assertion.

    Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Indeed, one must ask why anyone would make the assertion to the contrary at all? Is it because by admitting that some viruses are easier to control than covid, it somehow reduces the appeal of trying to control covid? I suppose thats most likely. Or is it because if we admit that the flu is practically nonexistent this year and acknowledge it is because of covid-19 prevention measures, that leads to the conclusion that a lot of people have actually been wearing masks and social distancing all along? Only canoez and Garret can explain their reasoning. So far, all they do is request evidence from me. They provide no evidence for their argument. It is certainly an argument out of the mainstream.
    Contrary to your previous statement - it is not up to us to provide evidence against your assertion - it is up to you to provide valid evidence to show that a mask is less effective against Covid than influenza.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  32. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    downward bound
    Posts
    7,323

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Masks & distancing aren’t effective and we can’t ever know why things rose, so we better do nothing. Standard peb failure faire. A year in, there are clear winners & losers, and we are stuck with people pretending abject failure is success.

  33. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    26,254

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    Maybe I'm missing something - but 'the evidence' suggests peb is correct. Much lower flu rates this year - and all I've read attributes this as a 'welcome side-effect' of distancing, mask. I haven't seen flu, yet; still seeing 'some' covid, though diminished.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  34. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    20,728

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    The flu typically waits a week or two before symptoms, and is contagious that entire time? None of us know which of us first caught Covid, for example, or when; we only became aware when a few of us began having symptoms.

    Seems every flu I’ve caught has been pretty fast acting; that is, no period of being Covid Mary/Larry inadvertently.

  35. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Posts
    58,443

    Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

    I'll wear a mask in indoor public spaces until the folks who know more than I do, whether at the CDC or the MN health department, say I don't need to. Nobody likes it much, but it's a very minor inconvenience with a small chance of averting something quite unpleasant.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

    Richard Feynman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •