Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: How long will you wear a mask

Default How long will you wear a mask

Ok, let me be clear, I do not want to start a debate on wearing masks during the covid pandemic. Very clear, that is an absolute. And I suppose this thread can be seen as a question beyond masks, and even include other protective behavior: social distancing, no handshakes, staying home as much as possible, etc.

Now, from what I have read, the flu season is historically low this year. Which completely corresponds to my anecdotal experience that people are not getting cold and flus. So we have a high probability that masks are effective at preventing those diseases. Indeed, all indications seem to indicate they are much more effective at preventing the flu than covid (that should not be a controversial statement BTW and is not intended to start an argument. So the question arises, lets say we get past this pandemic, covid-19 is endemic in the population but by no means a major problem, at what point do you personally stop wearing masks (and other social distancing measures)? I ask this just to get a general feeling on people's thoughts. It was prompted by a local news personality who tweeted he will be wearing his mask indefinitely. Now that is very ambiguous, but I suppose its an understandable position, he simply doesn't know at this time.

My answer is currently: when the status of covid-19 is endemic as opposed to pandemic. But perhaps that is not quite right.

Default Re: How long will you wear a mask

I will wear mine until I'm sure that I will not spread the virus. I got my first vaccine shot on Saturday, but even with the vaccine it is possible to infect others while I myself will not get sick. So when the CDC says it's safe, I'll stop wearing it.
    "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I will wear mine until I'm sure that I will not spread the virus. I got my first vaccine shot on Saturday, but even with the vaccine it is possible to infect others while I myself will not get sick. So when the CDC says it's safe, I'll stop wearing it.
    I suppose your second answer, pertaining to the CDC, is a more precise version of my answer. I do not understand your first answer, will we ever be sure?

Lol.

Mask?

I don’t submit! I’m free! Everyone else should get stronger or die! If Covid comes near me, I’ll shoot it.

Masks?

They don’t even work. If you understood the microns, you’d know that.

Masks. Ha!

Like you guys, I'll stop when our PH folks say it'd be safe for other folks for me to take it off.

I hope it's soon enough that I don't end up with weird face-bikini lines, but it seems we'll likely avert that. If not, I'll cope - and the family photos will be hilarious.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Until my wife tells me I can stop.

i've been done with masks for a few months

So, how are the infection rates down there in Huntsville? Everybody stopped getting sick?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    i've been done with masks for a few months
    vice signaling is your brand.

That's a good and concise answer that I agree with.

A discussion here at work with regard to this issue brought up the idea that in Asian countries mask wearing during flu season is a "thing". We didn't think that masks during seasonal flu outbreaks was a bad idea.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Seriously? I’ve had it, so I could be a vector.

I wear a mask because the science community, the same one who makes erwction pills and fixes your heart attacks, allow that a mask will likely reduce the chance of me spreading this potentially lethal virus to someone else who may not have anti bodies.

The people who suffer tend to be overweight, middle aged or older folks who take pills for one or more conditions; I’ll keep wearing a mask to help keep the bilge populated.

might wear mine indefinitely as a method of identifying myself as a feminist, a considerate person, and a white anti-nationalist.

Probably when the CDC says so and then a little longer.
    On the other hand, I just might wear one every winter during flu season.
    For years I seen the people of Japan wearing masks either year round or during flu season.
    I wonder what their flu statistics are on a normal year.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Even though they're not necessary outside if folks can keep marginally socially distant, they're a "thing" in Fredericton on the street. Not least, I suspect, because they're a whole lot warmer than letting winter just do its thing with you.

Of course, even with the best preparations, we glasses-wearers mostly can't see at such points....

We live in a crowded section of the city (close to 30,000 people per square kilometre) and i’d estimate about 80 percent of folks wear masks outdoors. (they’re mandated in retail outlets).
    in residential neighbourhoods i’d guess 10 to 20 percent cover up.
    we’ll probably wait until everyone is vaccinated here before going without.

I really do not like wearing the masks. I find it difficult to breath. I did not realize how much I rely on facial expressions to effectively communicate.
    Even though our brilliant governor rescinded all Mask mandates and business occupancy limits today, I will continue to wear a mask for the foreseeable future.
    For some odd reason I care about my fellow man and prefer not to infect them.
    Jack
    Nicotine free since 1 October 2009

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    So the question arises, lets say we get past this pandemic, covid-19 is endemic in the population but by no means a major problem, at what point do you personally stop wearing masks (and other social distancing measures)?
    I think we can get past the factual, 'scientific' arguments pretty easily. Yes, wearing a mask, using social distancing, washing hands, etc., have all been clearly demonstrated to reduce (not eliminate) the risk of transmission.

The real issue isn't one of science, but of confidence. If I have had my two shots (in actuality, I'm still trying to get the first one), then after six weeks, I'll be immune to Covid, and won't be spreading it....

....but who is going to believe me?

I initially thought that the gov't would be issuing some sort of identification tag, which would identify those who have been immunized, although I realize that would be not only impractical, but engender counterfeit documentation.

So, MY answer is equally simple: I'll be wearing a mask, regardless of immunization, until the prevalence of infections is so low, that few Americans will be suspected as possible carriers of the disease... and going 'unmasked' won't make anyone fearful or uncomfortable with my presence.

An imposition on my 'freedom'? Or is it MY contribution to the community? Wearing a mask is hardly much of an imposition, for anyone who has the slightest concern about either other people's safety... or their fears. It's part of the 'ask not what your country can do' philosophy... my way of contributing.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

I’ll wear mine until everyone can take theirs off.

Ive been vaccinated, and I think it would be terrible if people like me strutted around maskless while those not yet vaccinated seethed.

I live in fricken Minnesota. Half the year I have to wear thick socks, heavy coat, scarf, hat, gloves. A mask is too much ... why?

And mask haters are pussies. I don’t want to be seen as a pussy.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post

Ive been vaccinated, and I think it would be terrible if people like me strutted around maskless while those not yet vaccinated seethed.

I live in fricken Minnesota. Half the year I have to wear thick socks, heavy coat, scarf, hat, gloves. A mask is too much ... why?

Well said.

I've long believed that a good place to get sick was at the doctor's office. So very likely, post-pandemic, I'll don a mask for my future visits there.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Davis View Post
    An honest man!

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    might wear mine indefinitely as a method of identifying myself as a feminist, a considerate person, and a white anti-nationalist.
    Plus, when you have a face like mine, it's just the considerate thing to do...
    "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

I suspect the mail reason for the lack of seasonal flu and cold cases is that schools have been shut.
    Schools are disease/epidemic factories...

Damn. That's mighty fine. You might do well in PR!

And I agree - I will wear mine until No one needs to; when the CDC and our health department support; and I won't be following the 'recommendations' coming from our governor (nor the one from texas). And if we let our guard down, and see a resurgence - I'll mask up, again.
    FWIW - I've not seen a single confirmed case of influenza this year. Distancing, avoiding crowds, masks - there's no doubt that's the big difference-maker.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

An honest man!

Plus, when you have a face like mine, it's just the considerate thing to do...
    Sounds like a two-bagger - maybe we can start a (large, very large) club of 'like-faced' individuals!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Not only will I continue to wear a mask until the CDC says it it safe to no longer wear one, I am going to increase the effectiveness of the masks I wear with the Badger Seal mask fitter. I ordered two and they will arrive any day now. They can be home-made with materials costing less than $1.00.

(WLUK) -- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is now touting a device made at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.The Badger Seal mask fitter, and fitters like it, are said to limit the spread of COVID-19.

UW-Madison says wearing a face mask, alone, can cause leaking air. Their demonstration shows particles are still able to escape upward and through gaps in a mask. But with the Badger Seal mask fitter...

“A lot of the tests showed that, if you taped around the outer edges of a disposal mask, the filtration was extremely good,” said Dr. Lennon Rodgers, director of the Grainger Engineering Design Innovation Lab at UW-Madison. “That kind of peaked my interest. I said, there has to be a way to seal around the outer edges of a mask, without using tape.”

More than 15 prototypes later, along with some tomato wire, the Badger Seal was born.

“Adding the Badger Seal to this 3-ply mask was able to reduce the effective particle penetration by about 15 times,” Rodgers said. “That was a significant improvement and kind of heads toward that N-95 standard.”

The Badger Seal is a soft, adjustable frame with elastic that can either be worn as ear loops, or behind the head and quite literally seals the mask in place.

Glasses wearers are all too familiar with this nuisance - glasses fogging up with face masks. With fitters, like the Badger Seal, that problem is now eliminated. And the benefits don’t stop there.

“The Badger Seal increases the filtration performance, it has really good breathability, because the single 3-ply disposable mask, and then it reduces slipping, you know, the mask slipping down your face,” said Rodgers.

It only costs about 50 cents to make the device. What’s more, Rodgers says, with some materials and some household tools, you can even make one yourself.

“It takes about five minutes to make, and we released the design, like our other COVID projects, as an Open Source design that anyone can use,” he said.

About 10,000 Badger Seals were made and distributed to students and staff on campus.

Details on the mask brace, including how-to do videos or where to purchase one, can be found here.

https://fox11online.com/news/local/c...al-mask-fitter
    ďThose who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.Ē ― Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Davis View Post
    Ditto
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Iíll wear mine until everyone can take theirs off.

And mask haters are pussies. I donít want to be seen as a pussy.
    This. I get shot #1 next week & #2 whenever they schedule me. They are saying I can go maskless 2 weeks after the 2nd shot, but 1) I live with someone who won't be able to get her shot for a few months & 2) agree with Cris's excellent thoughts (when everyone can & mask haters are pussies).

ETA: I currently double mask. I may go to just a single at some point - but we'll see.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I donít wear one outdoors. Always do indoors in public spaces, unless eating.
    I hate the damn things, but I recognize they work.
    Once the cockpit door is closed I remove mine, and so has every copilot Iíve flown with. They definitely degrade communications on the flight deck and especially over the radio.

Once Iím vaccinated and local officials cancel the mask mandate Iíll be leaving it at home, at least locally.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

The other day, I put one on before I even left the house to get the paper.

Until Dr. Fauchi and my resident retired Nurse Practioner tell me a mask is no longer needed.

My BIL the pulmonologist insists that wearing a mask is far less hateful than being medically paralyzed and intubated...
    I believe him

As often as I wear underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    As often as I wear underwear.
    Gives a whole new meaning to the term "going commando".

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Probably when the CDC says so and then a little longer.
    On the other hand, I just might wear one every winter during flu season.
    For years I seen the people of Japan wearing masks either year round or during flu season.
    I wonder what their flu statistics are on a normal year.
    What Rich said, the number of flu cass this year here are miniscule and no deaths. Put down to people wearing masks, washing hands not spreading as in previous seasons. I expect to carry one all the time and wear it where I deem appropriate (supermarkets etc.) and where requested as. courtesy to others.
    The world has changed.