Thread: Davit idea

Default Davit idea

Does anyone know of any davits (factory systems or DIY) set up like this to swing a small punt through 180 degrees from the water directly to belly-up storage? Yes, the rudder is in the way in this sketch, it's just the drawing I had handy. Obviously you could also stop the swing after just 45 degrees if you wanted to carry the boat below the davits and save deck space. I am sure others have done something like this and I'd love to see those examples rather than try to reinvent the wheel. Thanks and regards, Matthew
    davit idea.jpg
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

Default Re: Davit idea

On my 39' ketch, I use a 10' dory tender and hoist it to the boom gallows. The boat is light enough that a couple of ratchet straps will pull it up in stages, and then tighten it against the gallows. Not quite what you've drawn, but food for thought.

Thanks, John. Got any pics of your arrangement?

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    On my 39' ketch, I use a 10' dory tender and hoist it to the boom gallows. The boat is light enough that a couple of ratchet straps will pull it up in stages, and then tighten it against the gallows. Not quite what you've drawn, but food for thought.
    Matthew Long

I store my tender on edge on my swim step. There are attachments on the swim step and rings on the gunwale. The rings snap onto the attachments and then the boat pivots up on its edge. Not davits per se but a similar situation
    Last edited by Bobcat; 03-03-2021 at 05:43 PM.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

I think it would be easier to give your boat a mast and gin pole. I have found with my various dinks an easy flip. I have lines (also handy at the dinghy dock) at the transom corners and a third at the bow. Hoist her up, get to the transom and flip. Then swing into stowage position.

Lots of ideas here.

https://www.weaverindustries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post

that's the set up I have. Originally for an inflatable. I bought a Sabot a year ago and used u bolts on the gunwales. You snap the boat to swimstep and then flip it up with a line tied to the outboard oarlock
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    Thanks, John. Got any pics of your arrangement?
    A couple of the dinghy hanging. Let's see if I can post them.

Lovely that the pic in #7 shows the same useless dink as was at http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...or-a-boat-ever!

In working about boats, I have very strong attitudes about the dangers of this sort of loading in any sort of sea - which can happen in a dead still pond if a passing power boat's wake hits you just as your fingers are hooking up one of the hinges.

Anyway, the outboard rudder makes the geometry of this general approach to Matthew's boat unlikely. And the boat cries out for a mast and gin pole anyway.

I've installed a few of the weaver kits on various dinghy, and rebuilt at least one dinghy that had it's rail shattered by being filled with a wake. Personally I dislike the system and view it as risky, it would be very easy to break a few fingers trying to get the dinghy latched onto the mother ship. For most small vessel applications I think one would be better served with a packraft or inflatable kayak

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I agree with Ian, gin pole would look just right.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

So something like this but proportioned to suit the available space on deck? This is the type of troller that Buehler cited as inspiration for his Diesel Duck series.

buehler old troller.jpg
    Matthew Long

Very interesting thread! I've been doodling sketches for a minimum-size dinghy to be pivoted over its transom onto our Albin's swim platform. Due to the DuNORD's smaller size and narrower transom (compared to #6 above) the dinghy resembles Bolger's Brick so that when stowed vertically the bow would not extend above the DuNORD's cockpit cover. I do not remember what sparked the idea, however, I had thought it unique until seeing this thread. I believe Ian makes a good point about how fingers might suffer injury when manipulating a pivot mechanism. My idea requires no such manipulation and might be applied to almost any combination of dinghy having a transom and a reasonably low swim platform. Look for a possible expression of my ideas in a future edition of Messing About In Boats magazine.

We always yow our Eastport Pram, however, carrying the dinghy aboard would be a lot handier when cruising a waterway with many locks.

I need to build the boats first (big and small) so this is all just for fun for me for the time being. The design I used for my sketch is George Buehler's Captain Eddie, which does not include a mast and boom on the published plans but there is an indication of one in one view so George must have had one in mind as an option. It would be easy enough to adapt one from a similar size boat like his Julian Adderley to use for both dinghy handling and a steadying sail.
    Matthew Long

The interior layout drawing shows a small circle that could be a mast location. It or a ladder would really confuse the pilot house door unless it were a slider.

You don't want a dink that sticks out over the sides which means a bit under 7' - really a one person boat. Consider building a Cape Cod Frosty, a purely one person boat designed, as the name implies, for the high winds of frost bite sailing. Remarkably seaworthy. If the Capt Eddy is anchored or moored out, a Frosty will get you out and then, for guests, you just motor in. It's light enough - 34# - that you can just reach over the side and haul it up, as I've done many times. A bit of AstroTurf over your gunnel will prevent marring the paint and ease the slide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Cod_Frosty

After bringing that dinghy (10' Dory Tender) to Florida and back, I switched to a SeaHopper folding dinghy that stores on the cabin top folded. They carry a lot for their size, and are varnished plywood that goes well on a classic boat.

That Sea Hopper looks good.

OP: I can't find it online, but someone makes the following to haul a rowboat upside-down on top of a pickup truck cap, to get it up there. You stand up the boat with the stern on the ground with the open top facing the tailgate, and this thing hoists the boat up and then rockers it forward to end up inverted on top of the truck cap. And of course the reverse to get it down. I think more rollers involved than complex linkages. It would seem the same system could be used on a dinghy to pull it up onto the boat the same way, just sideways if desired.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.