Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drama on the high seas

Default Re: Drama on the high seas

stories like this is what keep you up at night, eh michael? glad this ended well for the crew. . .

any news yet on what caused the fire and loss of power?

also what caused the flooding which ultimately sunk the vessel?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

No news yet, Paul, and I prefer not to speculate; there are so many possible sources. The boat has two big diesels running 24/7, two or three gensets doing the same. A high-capacity high-voltage electrical system, hydraulics coming out of the ying-yang, and wiring & piping & hoses everywhere. So many places to go wrong. Maybe the TCMS investigation will turn up a smoking gun, but usually when a boat goes down due to an engine room fire, the ability to determine exactly what transpired sinks with it. The flooding I will speculate on - it was likely a by-product of the fire burning off pipe fittings or causing pipes to rupture in the engine room, filling it to the point where the ship lost stability and she turtled.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

So glad that all of the humans were saved. Sorry for the loss of the ship. Coast Guard rescue swimmers ... to call them "heroic" is too faint praise.
    Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

In seas that big, could a ship with no propulsion swamp and sink even without the fire? How important is it to keep the vessel positioned correctly in the waves?

Quote Originally Posted by htom View Post
    So glad that all of the humans were saved. Sorry for the loss of the ship. Coast Guard rescue swimmers ... to call them "heroic" is too faint praise.
    When my brother graduated from Rescue Swimmer school, they had a show and tell for the parents who came to the graduation. They put the swimmers in the crash-simulator, a helicopter body with seats and doors. Swimmers are strapped in and the whole thing is turned upside down and dropped in a deep pool, in the dark, with loud noises, strobes or whatever to induce chaos.

My mom said she bawled like a baby watching it.
    Last edited by J.Madison; 03-04-2021 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    In seas that big, could a ship with no propulsion swamp and sink even without the fire? How important is it to keep the vessel positioned correctly in the waves?
    If the ship is buttoned up and dogged down, 8-metre seas will make anyone on-board rather ill and even possibly injured from being tossed about, but it will retain its water-tight integrity. Most often when offshore fishing boats founder, it is from human error - somebody left a door un-dogged, or didn't dog down a hatch on all points and the big greenies coming aboard found a weak spot and smashed their way inside.

Seems more of these mishaps occur when the weather is least convenient. Very glad all hands were rescued.
    "...moved as he was solely by the desire for truth, and by the suspicion...that the truth was not what was appearing to him at that moment."

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    Seems more of these mishaps occur when the weather is least convenient.
    Much like a barroom brawler, when the ocean gets her dander up, anybody and everybody is liable to take a punch. Some take it better than others.

I'm very glad there was no loss of life or serious injury. This ship is probably quite a large capital expense for the company that owns it. I hope they can recover.
    Will

OK, Michael -- when I get into an accident with my car, my insurance pays off, but I still suffer a major financial loss. How goes it with Marine Insurance?
    "...moved as he was solely by the desire for truth, and by the suspicion...that the truth was not what was appearing to him at that moment."

They will get some compensation, but not full replacement value. Same as if your house burnt down, there will be things that the insurance company won't cover, things that you had in your house that weren't listed in your policy, and so on. Then there is the loss of cargo - maybe you had a policy on this, maybe not. If you do, then you gotta convince the insurance company that you had as much cargo on board as you say you do. None of this will be settled until the Transportation Safety Board finishes their investigation and released their report. Even if the report exonerates you from any culpability, the insurance company will probably debate the details 'till you are ready to tear your hair out. Not being (overly) cynical, but from sinking to payout will probably be two or three years, minimum. Hopefully you have either a friendly banker, deep pockets, or a different insurance policy that provides you with money to lease or buy a new boat in case of loss of the first one, to use until the TSB and insurance company finish having their way with you.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Im not in the slightest bit religious but was brought up so,
    I think of the hymn lines,

'so hear us when we cry to thee, for those in peril on the sea.... '

and I'm so glad it was human cooperation and competence that saved the day....no 'divine intervention' here.

sorry about the boat, but also Scallop dredgers aren't exactly in my favourites list of sustainable fishery practices.
    It's amazing what we can when we work together.
    Now he's gone. If only he'd be forgotten.

Last pictures of F/V Atlantic Destiny as she slips beneath the waves. Photos by Jaylon Brownbridge of the Canadian Coast Guard:

Atlantic Destiny sinking No. 1.jpg

Atlantic Destiny sinking No. 2.jpg

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Wow. I stayed up most of last night following this. Our company did testing on this boat. Huge thanks to our US neighbours in their assistance in saving the crew.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

The ship's name is like foreshadowing . . .

She looks like a steel vessel(?). If so, I'm guessing that bought some time, versus 'glass composite or aluminum in a fire.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.