Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Masks make you submissive?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    landlocked in Mt. Solon, VA
    Posts
    1,005

    Default Masks make you submissive?

    Where the heck does this $hyt3! come from? My daughter, who ought to know better, posted this disgusting meme on Facebook the other day.

    mask meme.jpg

    Now, I abstain from Facebook 99.9% of the time, but when I found out about this I had to confront it. So I posted to tell her it was probably created by someone in Russia, that anti-maskers had higher rates of antisocial personality traits, and if everyone wore masks she could return sooner to the job she lost secondary to the pandemic.

    To their credit, 5 or 6 of her friends also posted, all critical. One said she had been brainwashed by Q-Anon (I liked that). Others pointed out factual errors and thinking errors. Nobody supported her, yet she continued to defend her illogical belief.

    Apparently Rand Paul is one of the main proponents of the idea that masks are an indicator of submissive behavior, or even that masks cause submission. He has an MD degree from Duke and should know better than to promote this anti-science $hyt3! What in the world is going on???
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

    -- Mark Twain

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sorrento Australia
    Posts
    3,360

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    Another self proclaimed font of knowledge and wisdom in reality is which is nothing but ignorance, judgement, condemnation, and BS! There has always been examples of such.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

    "Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    8,942

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    well for some people I am sure the masks make them more stupid. Some people should not be allowed to breath their own Co2 as it is killing what few brain cells they have left.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

    -Dalai Lama

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    17,316

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    The Hole In The Wall gang were submissive?
    The Algorithm Is Watching

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    65,298

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    Humans are like that……. serves us right.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Farmington, Oregon
    Posts
    16,080

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    in conjunction with handcuffs and a ball gag

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    13,320

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    There are times I like the anonymity of the mask. Usually when I havenít brushed my teeth.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mukilteo, Washington
    Posts
    397

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?



    OK, I'll probably get banned for this, but I thought it was kinda funny

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    17,316

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    Do you want to tell him?
    A824083D-C9B5-4C44-99F2-B2E151831B8C.jpg
    The Algorithm Is Watching

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    2,914

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    "Submit to the Dark Side!" Yeah...looks pretty submissive to me.
    Darth Vader.jpg

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    13,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schlaboatnic View Post


    OK, I'll probably get banned for this, but I thought it was kinda funny

    I'm glad somebody posted this, so I didn't have to do the dirty work.

    I was thinking that the mask-as-submissive comes from their equating masks with that which they wear on date night, or at least, their group get-together on Saturday nights. 😆
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    30,418

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    Submissive... sounds like a silver bullet What?

    A3AF4CCB-16A0-464A-8A22-F3022BE2BCA9.jpg

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    65,298

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    Submissive………...


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sorrento Australia
    Posts
    3,360

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    ........ submissive?

    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

    "Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    13,684

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    Quote Originally Posted by UCanoe_2 View Post
    Where the heck does this $hyt3! come from? My daughter, who ought to know better, posted this disgusting meme on Facebook the other day.

    mask meme.jpg

    Now, I abstain from Facebook 99.9% of the time, but when I found out about this I had to confront it. So I posted to tell her it was probably created by someone in Russia, that anti-maskers had higher rates of antisocial personality traits, and if everyone wore masks she could return sooner to the job she lost secondary to the pandemic.

    To their credit, 5 or 6 of her friends also posted, all critical. One said she had been brainwashed by Q-Anon (I liked that). Others pointed out factual errors and thinking errors. Nobody supported her, yet she continued to defend her illogical belief.

    Apparently Rand Paul is one of the main proponents of the idea that masks are an indicator of submissive behavior, or even that masks cause submission. He has an MD degree from Duke and should know better than to promote this anti-science $hyt3! What in the world is going on???
    Curious about your response. Let me be clear, I support wearing masks in public places during this pandemic. And I certainly see that the meme in the OP was likely geared to subvert the wearing of masks during this pandemic. And as others have shown plenty of examples, there are many purposes of face covering. But I do not see it as unscientific to say that face coverings have (and still are) been a means of enforcing submission. Perhaps you have a scientific study to the contrary?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK USA
    Posts
    2,394

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    There is a whole lot more than a mere cloth mask going on in that photo... not even in the same topical ballpark.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    13,684

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    Quote Originally Posted by garland reese View Post
    There is a whole lot more than a mere cloth mask going on in that photo... not even in the same topical ballpark.
    That is very true, and I will say the post is in very poor judgement/taste.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    downward bound
    Posts
    7,394

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    Whatís been in really poor taste is the GOP lead mask fruit loopery. But selective offensive is the core of the gop and trumpery.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,220

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    ^ #19 is spot on. If I had one correction at all to make, I would say that in this instance, the acronym GQP would align more closely to the reality of the modern day republican party.


    In fact I'd say it is practically a straight line of a Q-Anon takeover that was facilitated by the MM*


    *Mango Mussolini ----- GOP ------- GQP ------- and perhaps in another couple of years if they don't get their heads out of their nether regions, it will just be the Q party.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain lakes of Vermont
    Posts
    15,927

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    A lot of these anti-mask people like Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley and Rand Paul all went to very, very good schools and got very, very high grades.
    Proving that a high IQ does not necessarily lead to wisdom.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    20,798

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    A lot of these anti-mask people like Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley and Rand Paul all went to very, very good schools and got very, very high grades.
    Proving that a high IQ does not necessarily lead to wisdom.
    Good grades mean you can jump through hoops, not that you are necessarily smart.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    60,416

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Curious about your response. Let me be clear, I support wearing masks in public places during this pandemic. And I certainly see that the meme in the OP was likely geared to subvert the wearing of masks during this pandemic. And as others have shown plenty of examples, there are many purposes of face covering. But I do not see it as unscientific to say that face coverings have (and still are) been a means of enforcing submission. Perhaps you have a scientific study to the contrary?
    “But I do not see it as unscientific to say that face coverings have (and still are) been a means of enforcing submission”

    That is an opinion so by definition it is unscientific. To then ask for a scientific study to refute your opinion is, well, cheeky.

    In an operating room there are rules for protective wear, does the issue of submission apply?
    Last edited by LeeG; 03-03-2021 at 10:14 AM.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    44,921

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    Conversely, masks are also a significant way of signaling dominance.

    Whether memes of masked villains in movies, TV and literature, masked superheroes (Iron Man, Spiderman, Batman etc.), increasingly representations of special ops or spy or etc. characters wearing some kind of camo or identity-obscuring or protective face coverings, etc etc.

    What we find is that masking one's face obscures one's identity - and context will show whether that's intended to strip power from someone, or to amplify power. The larger point isn't that masking is about submission, but that we see identity and power in terms of revealing or hiding who we are. Whether we're wearing an actual mask, or a figurative one.

    Question: which is the "real" persona, and which the "obscured" one - Bruce Wayne, or Batman?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    60,416

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    Quote Originally Posted by garland reese View Post
    There is a whole lot more than a mere cloth mask going on in that photo... not even in the same topical ballpark.
    everything is everything. A pram and a ship float therefore they’re the same! An iron mask and N95 mask are both masks, they’re the same! Saddam had the intention of developing a nuclear program so it’s the same as if he had nukes hiding in olive barrels on the Potomac!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    20,798

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    I still giggle with childish joy every time I go into place with a mask on, but especially the bank.

    I do errands for the folks in the family who are really susceptible, and that means the bank, on occasion. I never would have imagined me donning a mask covering my nose and mouth and walking in to ask for money.

    There have been rules in place for years at our branch regarding caps, hats, hoods, sunglasses, etc. Now?

    Itís kind of funny, still, every time.

    Of course, Iím such a big old dipstick that no mask can obscure my identity, and the tellers all seem to enjoy my terrible jokes and anxious chatter.

    Although, with the muzzle on, itís almost impossible for anyone to be heard, or to express themselves...

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    44,921

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    ... so it’s the same as if he had nukes hiding in olive barrels on the Potomac!
    lost in translation. It was never "mushroom cloud over the Potomac," it was "pickled mushrooms beside the Potomac."
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  27. #27
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    60,416

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    lost in translation. It was never "mushroom cloud over the Potomac," it was "pickled mushrooms beside the Potomac."
    Those tricky wordsmiths.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michae...uted_to_Gerson

    Gerson proposed the use of a "smoking gun/mushroom cloud" mixed-metaphor during a September 5, 2002 meeting of the White House Iraq Group, in an effort to sell the American public on the nuclear dangers posed by Saddam Hussein. According to Newsweek columnist Michael Isikoff,
    The original plan had been to place it in an upcoming presidential speech, but WHIG members fancied it so much that when the Times reporters contacted the White House to talk about their upcoming piece [about aluminum tubes], one of them leaked Gerson's phrase – and the administration would soon make maximum use of it.[17]

    Gerson is credited with coining such phrases as "the soft bigotry of low expectations" and "the armies of compassion".[19] His noteworthy phrases for Bush are said to include "Axis of Evil," a phrase adapted from "axis of hatred," itself suggested by fellow speechwriter David Frum but deemed too mild.[20]

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    30,418

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Good grades mean you can jump through hoops, not that you are necessarily smart.
    Ah, smart means you can convince a tribe of dumb clucks that you are one of them, and should be a leader; Linguistics 101...

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    landlocked in Mt. Solon, VA
    Posts
    1,005

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post

    In an operating room there are rules for protective wear, does the issue of submission apply?
    My wife, a retired nurse, pointed out that she knew a lot of surgeons who wore masks in the OR, and a less submissive bunch of people could not be found.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

    -- Mark Twain

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    5,030

    Default Re: Masks make you submissive?

    That explains a lot!
    PROUD-BOYS-TRUMP-1.jpg

    Pete

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •