Thread: What would you do if you saw out your window during taxi for takeoff?

Default What would you do if you saw out your window during taxi for takeoff?

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Default Re: What would you do if you saw out your window during taxi for takeoff?

Assume it’s de-icer?
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Default Re: What would you do if you saw out your window during taxi for takeoff?

Green slime eeeew
    Steve Martinsen

It’s some cold anti-ice fluid sprayed on top of a snow covered wing. The flight attendant notified the pilots that the aircraft was still contaminated. They returned to the gate...the green slime is supposed to be applied to a clean wing after the aircraft is cleaned with de-ice fluid.

They missed a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    It’s some cold anti-ice fluid sprayed on top of a snow covered wing. The flight attendant notified the pilots that the aircraft was still contaminated. They returned to the gate...the green slime is supposed to be applied to a clean wing after the aircraft is cleaned with de-ice fluid.
    Give that flight attendant a bonus. A big bonus.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

the green slime is supposed to be applied to a clean wing after the aircraft is cleaned with de-ice fluid.
    oops
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

What would have happened had the plane took off in this condition?
    Steve Martinsen

It’s hard to tell from the picture. It depends if it was sticking. It was allegedly Nashville, last week...

Type 4 only?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

The pilot will wiggle the controls at the end of the runway to insure the elevators, rudder, and ailerons are free, but he doesn't look at the frigging wings? There could be a Qanon guy with a horned helmet waving a flag sitting on one!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    The pilot will wiggle the controls at the end of the runway to insure the elevators, rudder, and ailerons are free, but he doesn't look at the frigging wings? There could be a Qanon guy with a horned helmet waving a flag sitting on one!
    They would just slough off at takeoff.

I would imagine that several people on the de-icing crew are looking for new jobs.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

I always find myself checking the de-icing.

MSP always gets it right. I inspect more carefully in less snowy places.

How would I know if it was a good job or bad? I certainly don’t, but now I’ve seen a badly done job.

the grass is always greener on the other side of the plane.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Yes, the initial spray with a thin and cheap warmed de-icing fluid (pink) is to remove the snow and get a clean surface. Then, if precip is still falling, you top-spray with Type 4 (green), which stops anything sticking for a timed interval. During the takeoff roll, the Type 4 is designed to sheer-off the wing. During flight of course icing grows only on the leading edges, and heat from the engines, or electricity, is used to prevent it there.

We nearly lost an Airbus in BOS about 10 years ago because the deicers ran out, and only got one wing done. Then they didn't come back and the airplane went flying. Just barely.

If I looked out an airplane window and saw that?

Easy. Id scream until my head popped, then pass out while I filled my pants. Front and rear...

I don't fly in the winter.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Flew through Detroit during a snow storm once. Was early in the fall and the snow was heavy and wet. Before departure they'd sprayed the plane down with something - I couldn't see what in the dark. Was a DC-9, IIRC.

After that, we were delayed for a bit - 20 minutes or more after the scheduled departure. I recall we departed without getting another treatment. The takeoff roll was long and you could hear something on the outside of the aircraft which I assume was the snow coming off the plane. The roll was long enough that the flight attendant in a jump seat picked up a phone, had a short chat and hung it up.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Air Florida flight 90 - what went wrong.

Will

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post
    Air Florida flight 90 - what went wrong.

I lived in DC when that happened. It’s what caused me to be obsessive about looking at the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Type 4 only?
    That appears to be what happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Type 4 only?
    Reynard38, please check your pm's
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    As infrequent - flying 'Self Loading Freight' -- when I first saw this, and did not yet read farther, I thought : Just how long was this aircraft in inactive storage before this flight ? -- it looked a bit like moss

ask the attendant for a snow cone