Thread: Canoe builder

Default Canoe builder

Hoping I have this in the correct forum.

Due to space and time constraints I am looking for a list of established boat builders that would be capable of building a Thames canoe (pictured below). The boat I would like to have built is pictured below This is for a steam powered project I would like to complete over the next few years.

Here are the key attributes I am looking for.

Have experience with glued lapstrake, strip building and/or cold molding and be able to modify existing plans. The Selway-Fisher design is drawn at 23'6" but would like to have stretched to 25'-6".
    Must have an established business and catalog of work.
    Must be in based in the Midwest or West coast (no east coast due to travel distance)

Brambd1.gif Brambp2.jpg

Cheers and thanks in advance for your assistance
    Ken

Default Re: Canoe builder

I would encourage you to contact some of the builders listed at https://www.woodencanoe.org/builders-suppliers to see who you like best. Good luck,

Benson

Benson,

Thanks for the list. It's a page I didn't turn up when digging around using the Google machine.

Ken

Not shown in that woodencanoe.org listing, here's a builder not far from me in west central Wisconsin whom you might wish to present this endeavor of yours:

http://ebbertboatworks.dragonfiredesign.com/

Good luck with your dream & puh-leeze return here, fill us in on what progress you've made once you're past 1st base....

I know a fellow in Austin TX who might be interested in building you the steam system that'd fit your dream.

Thanks for the link. I'll add him to my contact list.

The steam plant is the easy part for me :-). I have an engine nearly complete, it's time and the space to build a 25' boat that I'm lacking.

Ken

Maybe look through the NW Washington wooden boat builder scene. I tried to find a registry of wooden boat builders in that area, didnít come across any quickly. Maybe some forum members from the PNW can help.

I did come across these guys, J.W. Swan and Sons. Looks like they are building some good solid wood boats. Thatís great to see. I know you asked for plywood, but interesting still.
    http://jwswanandsons.com/
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-