Thread: Propane and propane accessories

Default Propane and propane accessories

Im thinking about getting a big-ish propane tank for the cabin. The reviews say the local propane suppliers in the area are a huge pain in the @ss. Cest la vi. But this does make me lean towards buying a tank instead of renting.

I guess something roughly couch sized would be about right. It would be used for the stove/oven and a maybe a month of light heating for a 1000 sq ft place (recent weather aside).

Id like to size it so it would be filled about once a year.

Having no experience, I wanted to check with those that have done this on both the sizing, the rent/buy option, and any general location tips. I was thinking 20-30 yards from the structure and downhill in case of leaks.

Also, can I buy used and rehab it or is there periodic testing and certification?

Id like to have some basic info before I call the propane guys.

Thanks

Default Re: Propane and propane accessories

That is a great video!

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    and propane accessories
    a flare would be kickass if you could swing it

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Around here, propane suppliers will supply an above ground tank for free - but they will size it to what they think best. At my old place, because it was some work to get there, the company was happy to make it big enough to go a year. Below ground you have to buy (once again, around here).

Propane tanks of any size have to be tested every so often. Getting a big one certified is not cheap. No way would I want to own one.

The further away from the house, the more it'll cost to install & the longer you will run gas @ high pressure - as they normally put the regulator that drops the pressure to what appliances us on the outside of the house.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Our place in Mississippi has a 250 gallon tank. Rent for tank is about $38/year. Needs to be filled at least twice a year. I can't see one for your fort needing filled more than once a year. There is still an old one buried in the backyard there, I located that one with a metal rod last year. It was right where I remembered it, I hit it on the first probe.

At the old house I had a 250 gallon tank for the hot water heater and for the kitchen stove. They charged us a monthly fee because, "You don't use enough." Worked out to be a fill every 12-14 months or so for us, IIRC.

The big benefit to owning the tank is that you can shop prices if you have a few dealers in the area. I *think* the limit on needing to recertify the tank after 12 years is 120 gallons and under - so keep that in mind as well.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I have a 250 g tank (couch Size) It came with the house 30 years ago. I have kept it painted and rust free. The last time it was filled the driver took a spray bottle of soapy water to all of the fittings, This is the only inspection that I can remember.

At the price Jimmy is paying on rent I would have had $13,600.00 less in my retirement fund.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina 22 View Post
    I have a 250 g tank (couch Size) It came with the house 30 years ago. I have kept it painted and rust free. The last time it was filled the driver took a spray bottle of soapy water to all of the fittings, This is the only inspection that I can remember.

At the price Jimmy is paying on rent I would have had $13,600.00 less in my retirement fund.
    According to my calculator, 30 years x $38 = $1140 not $13.600. Price has likely increased over that time, so actual cost has probably been less. The propane company is responsible for painting it. They did so a couple of years ago. About time to get them to do it again.

Ah yes, /year not /month sounds more reasonable.

I see you're in Texas. I'd look up Hank Hill.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I think Strickland Propane is the outfit you want, ask for Buck.

When I owned my farmhouse in southeast Minnesota, I owned the 500 gallon propane tank, and contracted with a local propane vendor to keep it filled - this allowed me to lock in a favorable low rate throughout the year, it also had a side benefit that the supplier drove the tank truck up and down my driveway monthly, packing down the snow as he delivered propane

Rick

I have a 500 gallon tank (with a pump) at work and that thing is big!

No condemnation for posting it, but that video in the OP is damned scary to me. That tank and shrapnel from it could blow hundreds of yards. Propane tanks are sometimes used as improvised explosive devices.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.