Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Antipodes map" Where would you be, if you dug straight through the Earth?

Default "Antipodes map" Where would you be, if you dug straight through the Earth?

Me? Apparently in the Southern Ocean, off the SW coast of Australia. About the same latitude as Tasmania.

You?

https://www.antipodesmap.com/

Last edited by TomF; 03-03-2021 at 08:43 AM.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Default Re: "Antipodes map" Where would you be, if you dug straight through the Earth?

A forest in Spain halfway between Gibraltar and Seville.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Default Re: "Antipodes map" Where would you be, if you dug straight through the Earth?

In the oggin, somewhere off NZ, to the South east.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Didn’t you watch cartoons? China. Duh.

The computer says water, though, so I’ll bring my canoe when I dig.

I can dig a canoe.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

A very wet looking spot off the coast of South Africa, a bit east "Ile de l'Est".
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

I'm sensing a theme here. Good thing we like boats.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    A very wet looking spot off the coast of South Africa, a bit east "Ile de l'Est".
    Same (obviously) I did not even know those islands existed. Sounds like a windy desolate place.

Climate[edit]

The Crozet Islands have a maritime-influenced tundra climate (Köppen climate classification, ET). Monthly temperatures average around 2.9 °C (37 °F) and 7.9 °C (46 °F) in winter and summer respectively.[10] Precipitation is high, with over 2,000 mm (78.7 in) per year. It rains on average 300 days a year, and winds exceeding 100 km/h (62 mph) occur on 100 days a year. The temperatures may rise to 18 °C (64.4 °F) in summer and rarely go below −5 °C (23 °F), even in winter.

A few hundred (500?) miles SW of Perth. I think I'd want more than a canoe.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

About 1150 kms (715 miles) SSW of Perth, Australia. Damp, breezy spot...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Southern Ocean, right in the middle of the Roaring 40s.

Maybe 1800 miles SE by E of Port Elizabeth, South Africa, between the Îles Crozet and the Îles de la Désolation, maybe 100-some miles E by S or the Iles Crozet and maybe 200-some miles W by N of Îles de la Désolation.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Tha Atlantic west of Flores.

Out to sea off Gibraltar, North of Sale' and Casablanca.
    Cue a film about the sallee rovers starring Bogart and Bergman. Arr..

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    Likewise. Swimming roughly halfway between Madagascar and Grand Terre.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

About halfway between Australia and Madagascar, nearest land the Kerguelen Islands (AKA 'Desolation Island').
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Just a tad north of halfway between Madagascar and Antarctica
    The Algorithm Is Watching

43° 59' e
    107° 49' s

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

couple of hundred kms west of New Plymouth NZ
    Bilious, choleric, sanguine and phlegmatic

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I can dig a canoe.
    so, a dugout canoe.

I am well off the coast of SE Austrslia, nearest land is Perth.
    Steve Martinsen

Aprox 100 NM due west of the island of Horta in the Azorez. They have confidence in me.....looks like i had better get the boat ready for the trip because I'm not digging my way there!!

PS: Is this another data mining exercise??

Last edited by Hallam; 03-02-2021 at 05:48 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Roughly on a parallel with Johannesburg, S.A., a tad East of Madagascar by longitude. Also very wet. Glad I didn't try digging when I was a kid.
    "...moved as he was solely by the desire for truth, and by the suspicion...that the truth was not what was appearing to him at that moment."

58 S, 162 W is a cold and wet spot in the Southern Ocean, depth 4700m. The Antarctic is the closest land, only 1940 km away.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    A few hundred (500?) miles SW of Perth. I think I'd want more than a canoe.
    Same here. I'd better stop digging...
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Pretty far from anything...

89D3BD0D-BCFC-479C-AFED-51DD8B25E966.jpg
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

I'm not there, but I input the North Pole and the program showed me Antarctica, as one might expect, but tells me: It`s only water around, but I think you can handle it.

A lot of frozen water maybe but there be dirt there.

Jeff

-38.2xxx, 79.1xxx. In the Indian Ocean, about halfway between Madagascar and Australia, and a bit south. About 90 miles east of Ile Amsterdam in the French Antarctic Territory. GPS makes it easy to find your coordinates and then enter the negative of those coordinates in CalTopo.

antipodes.jpg
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Another one just off the coast off south east New Zealand,

When I worked in the Falklands it was in Russia just North of Mongolia.
    When working in Saudi .. somewhere Mid pacific off the Pitcairn Islands
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Treading water West of the Canaries.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

Middle of the ocean- a little closer to Spain than To Washington U S of A. The view is boring, I'm cold and there's no room service. One star.

I need to swim NW to reach Campbell Island. Might not be too easy, though.

In May 2018, scientists in New Zealand documented what they believe is the largest wave ever recorded in the Southern Hemisphere to date. The 23.8-metre (78 ft) wave was measured by a weather buoy near the island.
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Quote Originally Posted by UCanoe_2 View Post
    -38.2xxx, 79.1xxx. In the Indian Ocean, about halfway between Madagascar and Australia, and a bit south. About 90 miles east of Ile Amsterdam in the French Antarctic Territory. GPS makes it easy to find your coordinates and then enter the negative of those coordinates in CalTopo.

antipodes.jpg

Wait, I did the calculation wrong. I did not go directly through the center of the earth. It's still simple:

Let (x,y) be the GPS coordinates of a point on the surface of the earth, then:
    Antipode (x,y) = (-x, y+/- 180)

So antipode 38.2, -79.1 = -38.1, 100.9, or in the Indian Ocean about 735 miles WSW of Perth, Australia.

antipodes.jpg
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

I saw this a couple weeks ago. Funny thing is, there are very few land-to-land pairs. The fact that the earth is 71% ocean, and 68% of the earths land mass is in the northern hemisphere explains it.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    I saw this a couple weeks ago. Funny thing is, there are very few land-to-land pairs. The fact that the earth is 71% ocean, and 68% of the earths land mass is in the northern hemisphere explains it.
    So we can conclude from this that southern hemisphere folks are all wet? Or maybe just northern hemisphere folks who go there are?

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Hemisphere?

I thought we were talking about the other side of the disk?