Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half of Michigan Republicans are planning on not getting the Covid vaccine

Default Half of Michigan Republicans are planning on not getting the Covid vaccine

Yes, they are really that stupid it seems: https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...en/6869393002/
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Default Re: Half of Michigan Republicans are planning on not getting the Covid vaccine

Meanwhile, Trump got it on the sly in January

Default Re: Half of Michigan Republicans are planning on not getting the Covid vaccine

Who will they blame when they get covid?

Then they'll hasten the flipping of the Michigan state house, eh? Skewing the death rates means skewing the voter behaviour.

At least, one would think.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Who will they blame? Antifa and AOC.

Somewhere Darwin shakes his head.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

And the Catholic church is telling their flock to boycott the J and J vax because of, you know, abortion.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Yes, they are really that stupid it seems: https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...en/6869393002/
    Typically, both of my parents would fall into that lot. However...

My mother got hers because my grandfather insisted. (A weekly clean bill of health is the only way that he can continue to visit my grandmother, suffering from dementia, in her assisted living facility.

The first time that my father brought up the lockdown restrictions last year, I reminded him that he suffered a heart attack one year prior and that a year without cigarettes, doesn’t negate a 40 year history. The virus doesn’t care what he thinks about policy.

Both have been vaccinated.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    And the Catholic church is telling their flock to boycott the J and J vax because of, you know, abortion.
    Only parts of it are telling their flock that.

Francis is telling people to get vaccinated.

What's worse, his predecessor Benedict is telling people that Biden is a faithful, practicing Catholic too.

And in the same interview, Benedict told his own "extreme supporters" to chill out with the conspiracy theories. Whether about Biden, or his own decision to resign the Papacy. Benedict says that his own "conscience is very clear" about that choice, and he's happy with how things are going.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Benedict speaks?

Part of me says good luck and good riddance.

The better part of me says we can’t have a functioning society with this depth of polarization and stupidity.

Might want to share that with SamF.

Maybe he missed that!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

10% of Dems & 19% of Independents won't either. WTH? I was eligible to sign up for one as of yesterday & had an appointment by 8:30 AM
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Might want to share that with SamF.

Maybe he missed that!
    Reuters, on part of it. Or if you'd rather, the Vatican's own publication Crux previewing the fuller interview. Here are a couple of excerpts:
    “It was a difficult decision,” Benedict told Corriere della Sera, an Italian newspaper, on Feb. 28, the eight anniversary of the day in which his resignation became effective. “But I took it in full consciousness, and I think I did well. Some of my slightly ‘fanatical’ friends are still angry, they did not want to accept my choice.”
    Benedict also commented on Joe Biden, the second Catholic president in U.S. history: “It is true, he is Catholic and observant. And he is personally against abortion. But as a president he tends to present himself in continuity with the line of the Democratic Party … And on gender politics we have not yet fully understood what his position is.”

I just cannot wrap my head around this. Do they think it is unsafe, do they believe that tracker chip nonsense, or is it a political stand? Either way, I got my first shot (Moderna, regrettably) and I get my second in a month. Both my parents (90 years old) have gotten both their Pfizer shots with no ill effects. I guess you just can't help some people...
    "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

I've read a number here 'unhappy' with the Moderna. I believe that is ill-placed; it's a very good vaccine. The numbers I've seen for J/J suggests it is 'less-so'.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Just got a call from one of my 90 yo pt's - got the Pfizer vacc earlier this week, now is SOB, and (at my urging) headed for the ER. So.... YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I just cannot wrap my head around this. Do they think it is unsafe, do they believe that tracker chip nonsense, or is it a political stand? Either way, I got my first shot (Moderna, regrettably) and I get my second in a month. Both my parents (90 years old) have gotten both their Pfizer shots with no ill effects. I guess you just can't help some people...

I actually had somebody tell me that the plan is to make us all broke so they can control us, but it won't matter because the nanobots in the vaccines will make us happy to be broke and controlled. I had to ask him. "so what's wrong with that?" I love it when they get red in the face with anger about silly stuff like that.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

So far as I've been able to sort, each of the vaccines we're discussing have been excellent in preventing a severe case of the disease - and if you're not severe enough to need hospitalization, you're also not gonna die.

Keep the goal in mind, eh? I really don't care which vaccine I get, so long as that goal's achieved. And if I find that I have a mild case of COVID ... well, I haven't had a flu or cold in over a year.

I actually had somebody tell me that the plan is to make us all broke so they can control us, but it won't matter because the nanobots in the vaccines will make us happy to be broke and controlled. I had to ask him. "so what's wrong with that?" I love it when they get red in the face with anger about silly stuff like that.
    'broke and controlled'?

So... like being married, eh?

Alright, alright - yeah, that was sexist, and uncalled for! Gosh!

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    So far as I've been able to sort, each of the vaccines we're discussing have been excellent in preventing a severe case of the disease - and if you're not severe enough to need hospitalization, you're also not gonna die.

Keep the goal in mind, eh? I really don't care which vaccine I get, so long as that goal's achieved. And if I find that I have a mild case of COVID ... well, I haven't had a flu or cold in over a year.
    Just an FYI, Tom - IME, God doesn't much like it when folks brag. Personal experience, mostly talking with the Mounties after bragging about tying Nell to the train tracks. But I digress.

Do yer best - but 'rumor has it' God reads, and occasionally posts, in the Bilge. Don't make yerself an easy target.

I actually had somebody tell me that the plan is to make us all broke so they can control us, but it won't matter because the nanobots in the vaccines will make us happy to be broke and controlled.
    It is frightening that anyone can be that stupid. If we had nanobots like that, we would use them to attack or surgically remove cancer cells before they were detectable by other means.
    "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

When this tinfoil-hat special first came up I got curious and did some research.
    The chip (as basic a piece of kit as you can find) that is injected into pets is between 1.2 or 2 mm in diameter. So if you see the nurse waving about a needle of 1/16th inch or more diameter leave the room immediately.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

I've read a number here 'unhappy' with the Moderna. I believe that is ill-placed; it's a very good vaccine. The numbers I've seen for J/J suggests it is 'less-so'.
    I got Moderna. So did my 86 year old mom. No side effects whatsoever for either of us.

Pfizer vaccine has a documented higher rate of side effects, mostly on the second dose. But for most people they’re pretty manageable, with pain killers.

The thing people have zeroed in on for J&J is overall efficacy of ~60%. But efficacy against serious covid leading to hospitalization or death is the same ~90% as Moderna or Pfizer.

The thing I wonder: if most of the world gets J&J or something like it, will we miss our shot at herd immunity? If 40% of people can still transmit the disease sure sounds like an opportunity for further mutation and variants.

Just had a young female/RN in; learned she 'still isn't sure' about the Vax. Works in ICU, lots of positives as pts. 'Needs to do some research'.

We had a nice talk about that.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    I got Moderna. So did my 86 year old mom. No side effects whatsoever for either of us.

Pfizer vaccine has a documented higher rate of side effects, mostly on the second dose. But for most people they’re pretty manageable, with pain killers.

The thing people have zeroed in on for J&J is overall efficacy of ~60%. But efficacy against serious covid leading to hospitalization or death is the same ~90% as Moderna or Pfizer.

The thing I wonder: if most of the world gets J&J or something like it, will we miss our shot at herd immunity? If 40% of people can still transmit the disease sure sounds like an opportunity for further mutation and variants.
    At this point, 'we' are just trying to stuff the genie at least part-ways into the bottle again. Once the numbers are down, they can take a harder look at improvements. I mean - at this point, what else do we have?

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post

If Covid hangs around but doesn’t cause severe or long lasting disease in most people life will be much as before the pandemic started. If the J&J vaccine is capable of preventing severe disease then it seems to me the threat can much more easily managed, even if the vaccines give less than perfect results.

Jeff C

Yes. Except..... mutations. The more viruses, the more chance.

But we'll deal with it.

What is "SOB" in this context?

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Why is it regrettable that you got the Moderna vaccine?

ShortOfBreath.

Yes. Except..... mutations. The more viruses, the more chance.

But we'll deal with it.
    More mutations = more contagious or mote damaging strains.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder in action (source)

Why it matters that Trump kept his COVID vaccination under wraps
    If Trump had just been straight with people, telling the public the truth about his own personal COVID experiences, it could've saved lives.

March 2, 2021, By Steve Benen

Among Donald Trump's strangest habits was sharing information he should've kept secret, and keeping secret information he should've shared. While in office, for example, the Republican repeatedly blurted out highly sensitive information related to U.S. national security for no apparent reason. On the flip side, Trump and his team failed to fully disclose the severity of the then-president's coronavirus illness when he was hospitalized last fall, and as NBC News reported, they also failed to tell the public that Trump and his wife received vaccinations before the Republican's term ended two months ago.

Former President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump quietly received the Covid-19 vaccine at the White House in January, a Trump advisor told NBC News on Monday. It is not clear which type of vaccine they received and they were not disclosed at the time by the Trump White House. This was a secret that Trump didn't need to keep. On the surface, there's no obvious reason for the former president to have kept such a thing under wraps. It doesn't benefit him in any obvious way.

But just below the surface, the significance of this is even greater. As Rachel explained on the show last night, had Trump and his team disclosed his vaccination, it might very well have had significant public health consequences. Remember, Trump politicized the pandemic to such an ugly and gratuitous extent that many Republicans are more skeptical than Democrats and independents about getting the shot(s). That was evident in the latest Civiqs poll, which found Democratic voters more than twice as likely as GOP voters to express interest in getting the vaccine, and it was bolstered by a recent Monmouth University poll, which found very similar results. Or put another way, for everyone's benefit, the United States needs the public to get vaccinated, but Republicans are among the nation's most stubborn skeptics.

It is precisely why Trump -- who, for reasons I don't understand, is considered highly trustworthy and reliable among millions of GOP voters -- was in a position to change the political calculus. Had he disclosed the extent of his illness in October, it might have helped remind his followers that COVID-19 was (and is) a potentially deadly threat that people need to take seriously, and had he disclosed his vaccination three months later, it might have helped encourage his followers to follow his lead.

Or put another way, if Trump had just been straight with people, telling the public the truth about his own personal experiences, it could've saved lives. But he nevertheless maintained his habit of sharing information he should've kept secret, and keeping secret information he should've shared.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Not here they aren't and not the pope either if I read the article right.

In Jauary 2020 the WHO said Covid 19 ''had the capacity to lower the world's population". And it may still and not all by direct infection either.

And now, that rocket-scientist from Texas (abbott - no, not that abbott) has lifted their restrictions and mask mandate.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    When this tinfoil-hat special first came up I got curious and did some research.
    The chip (as basic a piece of kit as you can find) that is injected into pets is between 1.2 or 2 mm in diameter. So if you see the nurse waving about a needle of 1/16th inch or more diameter leave the room immediately.

The description of the pet size chip I read described it as being the size of a grain of rice.If a needle that big goes into my arm tomorrow morning I might get concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    The description of the pet size chip I read described it as being the size of a grain of rice.If a needle that big goes into my arm tomorrow morning I might get concerned.
    I am the world's biggest wimp when it comes to getting an injection. I had the Pfizer vaccine this past Sunday and the needle was so small that I barely felt it.