Thread: Complete newbie, about to build an LYSS

West Sacramento, California, United States

Default Complete newbie, about to build an LYSS

I've been lurking around here off and on for months now, and after poring over different styles of construction, and based on our fishing needs, I'm building a Lumberyard Sport Skiff. We fish skinny water on the Lower American River in Sacramento, California, and sometimes venture out into the California Delta, and rarely as far as Bodega Bay. I'm not asking for advice about what boat to build, I'm building the LYSS (the rocker and draft, plus the six foot beam and the fact that I don't have to buy a bunch of wood for a strongback or frame did it for me). What I do need to know is: How shall I finish the interior of the boat? Shall I paint, or oil? I know this opens a can of worms, but I am really torn. The exterior will be a darker green and black, because the boat may be pressed into service for duck hunting, so I'm loathe to paint the interior white... and I love the look of finished wood. However, know that a good exterior paint is reasonably priced and also does a great job keeping the boat from falling apart.

So... suggestions! We fish a lot, and it'll be landing American shad, stripers, and salmon. I don't care too much about using it -- I want it to be a solid working boat for us.

(I'll be running a 15 hp. Johnson two-stroke off the back, until such time as I can afford a bigger four stroke.)

Default Re: Complete newbie, about to build an LYSS

Work boat? Paint it.
    White is too hard on the eyes in sunlight. Tan, gray, something less reflective than pure white.
    Darker colors will look clean longer when you getting fish blood and guts on them.

Medium grey porch and deck enamel. Hose it off when you're done fishing. I'd seal the ply with a good soaking coat of CPES before I put any coating on it.

I agree on painting and using something a little less bright than pure white. Still, there is certainly nothing wrong with leaving a couple of thwarts or hatch lids or rub rails or what have you unpainted and then oiled so you can see the wood. Even oiled plywood can be nice and a quick touch up every year is no big deal.
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

West Sacramento, California, United States

Thanks for the quick responses! cluttonfred, when you say, "oiled", what oil do you mean? The options are dizzying.

Oil finish is not shiny like varnish and doesn't last as long, but when it starts to dry out you just put some more on a brush or rag and freshen it up, no scraping or sanding or anything like that. There are lots of different ones out there, and many DIY recipes with turpentine and linseed oil and such. For such a small boat, it's not too expensive to buy something specifically for boats as long as you avoid the "luxury yacht" brands. I hear good things about the Daly's products from Washington State, maybe some Seafin sealer followed by their teak oil on the parts you want to leave "clear." For the rest of the boat a good exterior primer-sealer like Zinsser 1-2-3 followed by your choice of exterior latex paint, both available at any big box store.
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

Porch and floor enamel. I've used Sherwin Williams on cockpit soles and it holds up very well. And yes, a color that's easy on the eyes but won't get burning hot in the sun. A very light gray or light tan tone. Whatever in that range looks good to you.
    -Dave