Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 35 of 45

Thread: Enquire

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,625

    Default Enquire

    If they say “enquire” on the website, I’m done. I probably can’t afford it anyway.

    I feel the same way when they give measurements in mm’s.

    Nobody got time for that.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK. Cornwall, Suffolk.
    Posts
    7,519

    Default Re: Enquire

    Ludite.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    17,315

    Default Re: Enquire

    You mean luddite. Ludite is a fake gemstone sold on QVC. Three easy payments of $29.95 plus shipping and handling.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    5,030

    Default Re: Enquire

    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    If they say “enquire” on the website, I’m done. I probably can’t afford it anyway.

    I feel the same way when they give measurements in mm’s.

    Nobody got time for that.
    On your first point, totally agree. Just tell me what the damn thing costs, because there are plenty of other sites I can look at, that do include that rather handy piece of info. No, I am not going to give you contact details in exchange for what should be there.

    On your second point, seriously? Get with the program . The only thing that doesn't work for me in metric, is the birthweight of babies. 6lb is small, 14lb is a pumpkin. But I wouldn't not buy something just because it's listed in funky old imperial units.


    Pete

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,625

    Default Re: Enquire

    Math is hard

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Do you have a warrant?
    Posts
    9,697

    Default Re: Enquire

    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Math is hard
    Metric makes it easier. That's the whole point of it.

    How many cubic inches in a gallon? 231.

    How many cubic centimeters in a liter? 1000.

    Most engineering calculations are massively simpler in metric.

    A typical interview question (for non-engineers) is, how many pennies to stack up to reach the height of the Empire State Building? Now they don't care as much about the answer as how you solve it. Me?
    - Estimate the length of a roll of 50 pennies, inches are OK. (We're going to divide by 50 to get the thickness of one, this is just way more accurate than estimating the height of one penny. But first...)
    - Convert the stack length to metric at approximately 25mm per inch, that's close enough.
    - Now estimate the height of the empire state building, feet is OK, then convert to meters.
    - Divide building height by penny height as there is easier, direct conversion between meters and millimeters.

    I can do the above in my head, or at least used to. In USA English units, I need a calculator.

    I won't even get into slug-foot per second squared.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    30,418

    Default Re: Enquire

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Metric makes it easier. That's the whole point of it.

    How many cubic inches in a gallon? 231.

    How many cubic centimeters in a liter? 1000.

    Most engineering calculations are massively simpler in metric.

    A typical interview question (for non-engineers) is, how many pennies to stack up to reach the height of the Empire State Building? Now they don't care as much about the answer as how you solve it. Me?
    - Estimate the length of a roll of 50 pennies, inches are OK. (We're going to divide by 50 to get the thickness of one, this is just way more accurate than estimating the height of one penny. But first...)
    - Convert the stack length to metric at approximately 25mm per inch, that's close enough.
    - Now estimate the height of the empire state building, feet is OK, then convert to meters.
    - Divide building height by penny height as there is easier, direct conversion between meters and millimeters.

    I can do the above in my head, or at least used to. In USA English units, I need a calculator.
    .
    How many shots of chain is that?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    17,834

    Default Re: Enquire

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Metric makes it easier. That's the whole point of it.

    How many cubic inches in a gallon? 231.

    How many cubic centimeters in a liter? 1000.

    Most engineering calculations are massively simpler in metric.

    A typical interview question (for non-engineers) is, how many pennies to stack up to reach the height of the Empire State Building? Now they don't care as much about the answer as how you solve it. Me?
    - Estimate the length of a roll of 50 pennies, inches are OK. (We're going to divide by 50 to get the thickness of one, this is just way more accurate than estimating the height of one penny. But first...)
    - Convert the stack length to metric at approximately 25mm per inch, that's close enough.
    - Now estimate the height of the empire state building, feet is OK, then convert to meters.
    - Divide building height by penny height as there is easier, direct conversion between meters and millimeters.

    I can do the above in my head, or at least used to. In USA English units, I need a calculator.

    I won't even get into slug-foot per second squared.
    287,778 pennies

    Google knows all.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,625

    Default Re: Enquire

    But did google take into account that a stack of pennies that tall would compress the pennies on the bottom and thereby affect the result?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    7,915

    Default Re: Enquire

    It would take a long time to stack them. They'd tip over and make a big pile to clean up, too. What if the very top penny blew off the stack in a little puff of high altitude wind, and it fell edgewise to the sidewalk below and struck a pilgrim?
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,625

    Default Re: Enquire

    From a lengthy post on reddit, complete with testing pennies in a press.

    5D4A5453-E9A0-4DEB-9A74-1F05F418AC14.jpg

    https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/...ed_before_the/

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    38,845

    Default Re: Enquire

    I can attest to a train making a penny laid on the track considerably thinner & larger diameter.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,625

    Default Re: Enquire

    Those that don’t shoot out.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    7,915

    Default Re: Enquire

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I can attest to a train making a penny laid on the track considerably thinner & larger diameter.
    Kids I knew did that on the cable car tracks in San Francisco. Come to thing of it, vendors on the boardwalk, Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco sell sourvenir pennies stamped out in an oval with the Lord's Prayer. And I have a dim memory of a machine in an arcade somewhere that did the same thing. You put in a penny and a quarter and got souvenir flattened penny back. That was probably back when a Coke was a dime.

    What if the pennies were the clad steel ones from the WWII era?
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Almost in BC, CA
    Posts
    6,673

    Default Re: Enquire

    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Math is hard
    Up to partial differential equations math is a breeze. After that, yep, math is hard.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,220

    Default Re: Enquire

    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    From a lengthy post on reddit, complete with testing pennies in a press.

    5D4A5453-E9A0-4DEB-9A74-1F05F418AC14.jpg

    https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/...ed_before_the/
    That reddit post tells me that American industry is effed if the workforce has that much time on its hands to use industrial presses to flatten pennies and do the calculations as to how much distance a stack of pennies would cover when pushed out to ridiculous numbers.

    First of all, you'd never be able to stack 16 million plus pennies to a height greater than 14 miles as they don't make ladders that tall, to say nothing of the inherent stability issues presented by the slight relief in the bust of Lincoln would cause it to tip over before you hit even a mile high.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA
    Posts
    23,430

    Default Re: Enquire

    Was that old 95% copper pennies or newer plated zinc pennies? Inquiring minds want to know. You would never find that many steel pennies.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    21,652

    Default Re: Enquire

    Remember the nautical mile is the only measurement that's not based on an arbitrary standard. It is one minute of latitude

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    108,569

    Default Re: Enquire

    Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Remember the nautical mile is the only measurement that's not based on an arbitrary standard. It is one minute of latitude

    may i refer you to the planck constants. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA
    Posts
    23,430

    Default Re: Enquire

    Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Remember the nautical mile is the only measurement that's not based on an arbitrary standard. It is one minute of latitude
    Since the Earth is not a perfect sphere but is an oblate spheroid with slightly flattened poles, a minute of latitude is not constant, but about 1861 metres at the poles and 1843 metres at the Equator.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,625

    Default Re: Enquire

    If they’d spelt it inquire, i’d have let it go. Now look at us.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    108,569

    Default Re: Enquire

    Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    There's more than one?




    there are four, no?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,220

    Default Re: Enquire

    Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Planck and the Four Constance.
    I knew a girl in college named Constance, she hated the name Connie and it was a surefire way to get her to ignore you. Alabaster, almost translucent skin, fiery red hair and just the slightest hint of freckles across her cheeks and the bridge of her nose. Green eyes almost as green as a blade of grass.

    My freshman year a smile from her was all it took for any man within 20 yards of her to fall helplessly in love or at the very least, hopelessly in lust with her. Not a clue as to what happened to her, can't even remember her last name, but she was a beauty. The modern day equivalent of the inspiration for Botticelli's "Birth of Venus" aaaahhhh.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett



  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Southampton Ont. Canada
    Posts
    6,992

    Default Re: Enquire

    Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    The definition of a meter is pretty crazy. It is the distance traveled by light in a vacuum during the time 1/299,792,458 of a second; where a second is defined as the time taken for 9,192,632,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the fundamental unperturbed ground-state of the caesium-133 atom. According to wikipedia.
    That isn't where it started.
    A couple of French guys started to measure France, north to south, along the 0 meridian sometime before the Revolution,finishing many years later.
    IIRC a metre is 1/10000000 of the distance from pole to pole, based on their work.

    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Deepest Darkest Wales
    Posts
    23,444

    Default Re: Enquire

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    That isn't where it started.
    A couple of French guys started to measure France, north to south, along the 0 meridian sometime before the Revolution,finishing many years later.
    IIRC a metre is 1/10000000 of the distance from pole to pole, based on their work.

    R
    <pedant>One ten millionth of the distance from the north pole to the equator through Paris.</pedant>
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    13,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    That isn't where it started.
    A couple of French guys started to measure France, north to south, along the 0 meridian sometime before the Revolution,finishing many years later.
    IIRC a metre is 1/10000000 of the distance from pole to pole, based on their work.

    R

    The meter was originally defined as 1/10,000,000th of the distance from the equator to the North Pole as measured along the Paris Meridien. It was some years after that the the survey project to actually determine the length of a meter began (1795?). They did not survey the entire distance. It was sampled.

    Did pretty good surveying: they got it correct to within 0.02%, mostly because they didn't understand that the earth is not spherical and so made an error in their computation of the arc of the earth's surface.

    It is that distance that is inscribe on the iridium bar that [used to] defines the standard meter.

    And of course all the other units fall from that &mdash; the milliliter is 1 cubic centimeter, the gram is the weight of 1 c.c. of water at its point of maximum density (+4° C), the calorie (the amount of energy required to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree centigrade, etc.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    13,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Remember the nautical mile is the only measurement that's not based on an arbitrary standard. It is one minute of latitude

    But since the earth in not spherical, that distance varies depending on where you are on the globe 🤣
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    21,652

    Default Re: Enquire

    Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post

    Isn't that an arbitrary standard though?
    No.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK. Cornwall, Suffolk.
    Posts
    7,519

    Default Re: Enquire

    Did we get it sorted out for you Tom? I think so...

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    20,798

    Default Re: Enquire

    Whatever. WTH is so hard about 1000 steps as a common measure? Sheesh!

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    37,509

    Default Re: Enquire

    Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    No.
    Sure it is.

    90º ?

    Why not 72?

    Why not divide the circumference of the Earth into 2,654 equal parts?

    The nautical mile has a length based on an actual object, the Earth, but the number of divisions is purely a human construct.

    Why are there not 17 hours in a day?

    Contrariwise, why are both a day and a circle divided by multiples of 12?

    Assuming a concrete and rational answer to that question, why is the division of a foot into 12 inches such a horror to the metrically-indoctrinated?




    So many questions . . .
    Rattling the teacups.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    38,845

    Default Re: Enquire

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
    That reddit post tells me that American industry is effed if the workforce has that much time on its hands to use industrial presses to flatten pennies and do the calculations as to how much distance a stack of pennies would cover when pushed out to ridiculous numbers.

    First of all, you'd never be able to stack 16 million plus pennies to a height greater than 14 miles as they don't make ladders that tall, to say nothing of the inherent stability issues presented by the slight relief in the bust of Lincoln would cause it to tip over before you hit even a mile high.
    Until I "loaned" my hydraulic press to a friend & never got it back, I had the tools in my little non-commercial shop to do that. Might not have gotten to 28 tons, but coulda done 22 or so for sure.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    38,845

    Default Re: Enquire

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Was that old 95% copper pennies or newer plated zinc pennies? Inquiring minds want to know. You would never find that many steel pennies.
    Woulda been mid 60's - so real copper.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,625

    Default Re: Enquire

    I asked herself how many mm’s in an inch. She told me. Smart @ss.

    Now she thinks a little less of me for not knowing. I said as much. She reassured me that she couldn’t possibly think less of me.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    820

    Default Re: Enquire

    I once wrote an essay promoting metric time. There would be days of ten hours, with one hundred minutes in each hour, and one hundred seconds in a minute. We are kind of stuck with 365.25 days in a year, though. Weeks would have ten days, comprised of six work days and a four day weekend. After 36 such weeks there would be a five day annual holiday.
    Payroll calculations would be lots easier.
    We’d work Monday thru Saturday, and have Sunday, Funday, Playday and Choreday for ourselves.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •