Thread: Another UV resistance question

Default Another UV resistance question

I'm using National Hardware,...hardware on my rolling shutters This is the bottom door roller that keeps the bottom of the door from swinging out. The roller is hard black plastic. There will be 10 of them. And a couple will be out of reach.

IMG_20210225_142208871.jpg

It's a decent quality brand but I'm a little concerned about this piece holding up over the years.

There are a lot of other roller materials out there. Most on castor wheels. A quick trip to home depot and I saw nylon, rubber, glass filled nylon, and polyurethane. Or any little skateboard wheel.

It's petty important to me not to have to get up there and maintain this. Does anyone know which of these would hold up the best? I've got no idea, just a suspicion that plastic is not the way to go.

Thanks

Tom

Default Re: Another UV resistance question

the metal part above looks like it's zinc coated but not hot dipped galvenized it will rust out in short order
    then the nut and bolt will fail, you will also have rust streaks on your wall below the hardware

is there a reason not to use a castor with a metal wheel?

commercial chainlink fence hardware may be adaptable to your use, it's heavy duty, has good corrosion resistance, and there exists a variety of roller styles available for sliding gates, both bottom and top hung; eschew big box sourced fence parts
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Oops. Meant to post upstair.

Good thinking on the heavy gate hardware. Thanks. Viking Fence may have something.

I hope you are wrong on the rust. I’m on the fence about painting them. Had just convinced myself that they would be ok based on the weatherguard statement.

974E6D74-452C-448F-A719-F60E19D6091E.jpg

Looking again. Turns out the wheel is derlin. Not sure if that is reassuring or not as the info on the web not super helpful.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

How about a ceramic insulator?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Looking again. Turns out the wheel is derlin. Not sure if that is reassuring or not as the info on the web not super helpful.

A little rummaging around DuPont.com says that Delrin™️ 527 UV (of which DuPont makes multiple flavours) is doped with UV/light/weather stabilizers.

This is the black version, Delrin 527UV BK701: https://dupont.materialdatacenter.co...0527UV%20BK701

Since it's designed for automotive/outdoor applications, it should do fine, I should think (assuming that that's what your rollers are made from).
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Ceramic would be bold. Might be a little breaky though.

Thanks for the Derlin info. I imagine they used the right stuff, I guess.

They make a big deal about their derlin bearings (though I opted for old-fashioned steel bearings). Hopefully they have put some thought into it.

I was thinking that I’d never seen an old rubber boat roller crack and that might be a safe way to go. But they are mostly out of the sun.

FWIW, this place (local business!) makes exterior barn door hardware in stainless as well as hot-dip galvanized.

https://realcraft.com/collections/ex...-door-hardware

https://realcraft.com/collections/ex...r-hardware-kit

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

My brother has one of the ones pictured in the OP on his barn that is over 20 years old & exposed to sun (though VT, not TX sun) - still works fine. Not much rust either.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green