Thread: Civil War author, Shelby Foote

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Default Civil War author, Shelby Foote

I ran across this last night and found it interesting. Shelby was from my hometown and went to school with my mother's older brother. At about the 14:40 mark, he mentions that he was the editor of his high school paper. My mother said that Shelby once said that he was the first editor of the paper, My uncle Paul said that he was the first editor and he never forgave Shelby for saying that. Several years before their deaths, my mother went to a doctor in Memphis and Shelby was there to see the doctor also. I own a handmade and hand-carved rocking chair that was given to me by Shelby's uncle when I was very young. I still don't know why I ended up with the chair. I wish I had asked my mother more about that while she was alive.

My chair.

foote chair.jpg

Default Re: Civil War author, Shelby Foote

I recall seeing him on Netflix 'The Civil War' He was good to listen to. Interesting chair....it doesn't look comfortable.
    Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell and have them look forward to the journey.
    Winston Churchill.

That is an amazing chair Jimmy! More pitchers please. The Foote connection is interesting but not surprising.
    My wife fawns over Shelby's voice. Like the road show please flip the rocker over.
    Tom

His voice was so calming. Is his way of speaking particular to a specific part of Georgia. I ask this as a westerner where everybody sounds alike.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

One of my favorite novelists was Walker Percy. He and Shelby Foote were friends from childhood and carried on a long correspondence that was published in a book. I became familiar with Foote from Burn’s Civil War documentary and subsequently read his narrative history of that war. I think I would have liked him personally.
    “Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.” ― Kurt Vonnegut

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Markers for Shelby Foote and Walker Percy. This was Greenville High School when Shelby, Walker and my mother and her siblings went there. It was the Junior High when I went there in 7th grade. I was told of JFK's assassination in the auditorium behind the markers. The building is now an art center.

Shelby Foote and Walker Percy markers.jpg