Thread: Fiberglass Sheathing Overlapping

Default Fiberglass Sheathing Overlapping

I'm about to start the journey of my first fiberglass sheathing experience.

I have a question regarding the amount of overlap as I don't want to mess this part up.

I have 50" wide 10oz cloth.
    My boat bottom at it's widest is 34".
    The entire hull at it's widest is 61".

I was going to over lap 2 pieces of cloth by only a few inches which means I'd be wasting a lot of cloth.

I then had thought why not overlap each piece over the entire bottom 34" so the bottom would have 2 layers of 10oz cloth and the sides 1 layer.
    Sounds good to me as I would expect to have extra protection on the bottom for all the rocky rivers I'm going to be on.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Fiberglass Sheathing Overlapping

Sounds like a plan to me. I was going to suggest that you overlap on centreline enough to have double 'glass thickness over the keel bottom and sides up to the rabbet, but more is better unless you are trying to be really weight-critical.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

We always built our strippers with double layers of cloth on the bottom and single up the sides. Go for it.

The chines take a beating on the rocks so it would be nice to have 2 layers there, which would mean running it up the sides a bit, 4 inches maybe. If you get the timing right you'll be able to feather/fair those edges with a block plane or scraper or shurform while it's not too hard then apply the sides overlapping the still green bottom thereby avoiding having to deal with amine and sanding prep. between the layers.

With 10 oz. if you don't feather those edges before overlapping them you'll most likely get the second layer forming a long bubble. If the edges are selvedged (even more bulky) you can cut them off with a utility knife as soon as the epoxy is firmed up enough. That will save a lot of work feathering.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 02-27-2021 at 04:32 PM.