Thread: Puffin in Traditional style

Default Puffin in Traditional style

Considering building an Oughtred "Puffin" in traditional lapstrake, oak frames and rivets. Plans state it can be built this way, just wondering from anyone with a set of plans, how much info on the plans would be provided for this? Or am I going to have to figure out frame placement, size, half frames in center area, etc. And if anyone has kept a tally on cost to build one, I would be interested to learn about some figures.

Default Re: Puffin in Traditional style

The planset is drawn for glued clinker plywood construction. You will likely find on the back page of the construction scantlings summary instructions for trad. clinker building. Typically 80% reduction in plank widths, 2 extra planks and the moldef and sided dimensions of parts. Plenty built that way.

You might look at Gartside’s plans as his are drawn for trad. clinker in the first instance. Design 130 is the one you want. 12ft.. Same as a Puffin. It might save some figuring out.

Last edited by Edward Pearson; 02-27-2021 at 01:37 PM.

Default Re: Puffin in Traditional style

Thanks. Originally we looked at a daysailer around 10 ft. as that is what the customer wanted. He has now decided he wants a 12 footer, so more options there and I do like Gartside's plans. More to consider now.