Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I F@#$ing Hate PEX !!!

Default Re: I F@#$ing Hate PEX !!!

All that OP stuff looks like good quality garden hose connected with what would be sold as cheapo garden irrigation fittings here. Definitely not PEX, none of it.
    Our caravan hot and cold pressure system is all PEX, zero leaks, fifteen years old, many thousands of kilometers bouncing along the road on minimal suspension.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Using pressure-regulated compressed air to purge the system works, too.

This will overcome any sagging pipe and so forth.
    Most of the time. A film of water is left inside pipes when they're blown out by compressed air. If it's a long enough run, there's enough water to slowly fill up a low spot. Poorly installed pipe (obviously) exacerbates the problem.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    For me I went old school brass fittings, quality hose and stainless steel hose clamps like this - no problems

So what's stopping ya? All that is readily available.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I'll bet Joe's outfitter used to work on RVs. That looks like camper plumbing.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Most of the time. A film of water is left inside pipes when they're blown out by compressed air. If it's a long enough run, there's enough water to slowly fill up a low spot. Poorly installed pipe (obviously) exacerbates the problem.
    OK.

If one needs to be obsessive about the water, one can allow the settling to play out, and purge the lines again.

If the object is to prevent freeze damage, two rounds of compressed air purge should be enough.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Dryer sheets chase mice?!? THAT's worth knowing! Do you poke them down into holes or what?
    Yes. The go in every drawer-bin-opening-cavity-vent-cushion-etc.

Then SWMBO takes the last 100 or so and “makes it rain” while I shake my money maker.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

OK.

If one needs to be obsessive about the water, one can allow the settling to play out, and purge the lines again.

If the object is to prevent freeze damage, two rounds of compressed air purge should be enough.
    Not trying to be annoying - just pointing out that I've had to replace pipe because of things like this. The damaged section is always in a really hard to reach place too.

Of course in a thread ranting about Pex (that isn't Pex) it should be pointed out that Pex can handle a low spot that freezes without breaking - though I have to wonder how many freeze/thaw cycles it can handle before fatigue sets in.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

OK.

backfilling with vodka also works.

Does PEX resist the ethanol found in vodka?
    Will

Joe, if you buy "stainless" at a big box, they probably aren't. I second the opinion that the original plumbing was installed by an RV plumber. Oh yes, and I'll add my "sharkbites are the bomb" to the voices celebrating their arrival on the plumbing scene. I use them both on pex, and on copper, where it makes sense. I use crimp fittings ,mostly, on pex though. Never had a failure.

That stuff is not PEX.
    I should also add, there are two different types of Pex, PEX A and PEX B. PEX A is better overall, but you need the expander tool which is big money. It stretches the hose end out (with a plastic collar) and then the hose shrinks itself onto the type A fitting, which is very different from a type B fitting. The type B fitting has a smaller ID which restricts flow, so typically you would go up a size to maintain the same flow as the copper you might be replacing. The tool for type B is much cheaper, around $60. B fittings slip easily into the tubing and then the crimper tool compresses a stainless (or copper) ring. Type A and B PEX tubing is also different. A is more flexible and less susceptible to freezing, B is a little cheaper and less flexy and doesn't reform itself with applied heat when kinked. And now there's even a new type of PEX (which I know nothing about).

People brought up sharkbite fittings which are amazing and amazingly expensive--however, code says you're not to enclose them in a wall. They seal with a greased O-ring and nobody really knows what their longevity is. People generally consider any repair made with them (and they're really great as joining pipes that have water dripping out of them) to be temporary. It's the typical cover-your-ass thing and personally I'd trust them indefinitely. But that's just me. On a boat I think that stuff would be brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Not trying to be annoying - just pointing out that I've had to replace pipe because of things like this. The damaged section is always in a really hard to reach place too.

Of course in a thread ranting about Pex (that isn't Pex) it should be pointed out that Pex can handle a low spot that freezes without breaking - though I have to wonder how many freeze/thaw cycles it can handle before fatigue sets in.
    Annoying?

Not at all!

There are quite often circumstances where one will be well rewarded for such obsessive attention to detail!
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post
    pretty sure yes

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

There is also non-toxic RV antifreeze.

Imagine back in the day having to measure, cut, thread, and fit galvanised pipe..
    The Algorithm Is Watching

^ Jim, I still do all that, but more rarely these days - PEX is really making the old pipe and copper more-or-less obsolete in new home construction.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post
    antifreeze?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Imagine back in the day having to measure, cut, thread, and fit galvanised pipe..
    Been there, done that, with and without electric powered cutters and threaders.

Quote Originally Posted by earling2 View Post
    People brought up sharkbite fittings which are amazing and amazingly expensive--however, code says you're not to enclose them in a wall. They seal with a greased O-ring and nobody really knows what their longevity is. People generally consider any repair made with them (and they're really great as joining pipes that have water dripping out of them) to be temporary. It's the typical cover-your-ass thing and personally I'd trust them indefinitely. But that's just me. On a boat I think that stuff would be brilliant.
    Code says nothing about that — SharkBite fittings, as afar as I know are code-legal across the board, for old work or for new work.

Please show a code cite that demonstrates otherwise.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Sharkbites also fit to copper, so there is no need for a sweat-on copper-pex adapter when doing repairs.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Code says nothing about that — SharkBite fittings, as afar as I know are code-legal across the board, for old work or for new work.

Please show a code cite that demonstrates otherwise.
    According to a plumber friend. No need to get all aggro.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    Sharkbites also fit to copper, so there is no need for a sweat-on copper-pex adapter when doing repairs.
    R
    This really saved my butt once when a copper sink supply failed and the remaining good pipe was too short and too buried inside the wall to do any soldering. The shark bite slipped on to it inside the wall and sealed up nicely. The other thing I really like about sharkbite is that even after sealed, the joint still freely pivots. Canít do that with solder.

And yes, Iíll add to the Joe pile-on. That ainít PEX.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    This really saved my butt once when a copper sink supply failed and the remaining good pipe was too short and too buried inside the wall to do any soldering. The shark bite slipped on to it inside the wall and sealed up nicely. The other thing I really like about sharkbite is that even after sealed, the joint still freely pivots. Can’t do that with solder.

And yes, I’ll add to the Joe pile-on. That ain’t PEX.
    Yes! Ditto me. I had a pinhole leak (very concerning, but that's another story) in the crawlspace and couldn't for the life of me keep the pipes from dripping. Tried the bread trick, tried the "heat the pipes until all the water's boiled off" , turned off the pump, shut the water main, opened all faucets etc etc. Sharkbite slipped right on and fixed it up ASAP. Love the stuff, but boy those fittings are dear, even if you buy them in bulk. Massive time-saver, though.