Thread: Looking for a turning block or thru-hull fitting

Default Looking for a turning block or thru-hull fitting

Good evening,

Iím installing some barn door type shutters that will be operable from the outside (with some difficulty). It would be much better to open and close them from the inside. Some are in front of traditional window; no problem there.

Some however, are in front of casement windows. I was thinking about a simple line from each side of the door, through the wall so I could pull them open or closed.

I started looking for some type of turning block that would mount on an outside corner but couldnít quite come up with the right search terms. Then I stumbled across a through-deck fairlead. Seems like the right answer in terms of simplicity and longevity.

They come in both phenolic and nylon. I havenít seen phenolic for a while but I recall it was pretty tough. Any thoughts on longevity in an high heat, high UV environment?

D26CCCC7-1423-4302-B409-BFCFCD0832F9.jpg

The other thing I ran across was an exit plate. Iím not sure it is suited for a sharp 90 degree turn but it looks like it would get me past the sheet metal siding. The rest would not be problematic, like a beehole in a mast.

1BFE3894-EFDF-49A3-848E-7396C6771228.jpg

Any thoughts on these approaches, or others, appreciated.

Tom

Default Re: Looking for a turning block or thru-hull fitting

Would the fairlead be going through the exterior wall with a pennant on the inside? Seems like you'll be making a hole where you really don't want one? What about a cheek block with the pennants going down the side of the house to cleats?

Yes, the idea was through the wall. There are 4 windows that I’m worried about. All of them are up high, tucked under the eave. I’ve mostly convinced myself that water will not be an issue.

I’ve got a long pole with a window crank attachment to open and close a couple of them. A little clunky but works fine. And I could do the same with the shutters. That is, have a pole with a hook.

I’m on the fence about whether having lines is a good idea or not.

I'd want to avoid holes through the walls if possible, but if I had to, I'd want a pipe with a flange on each end so the wood, sheetrock, etc. would all be sealed. 1/2" plastic pipe or some such.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

That’s a good idea. It solves a couple of issues. Thanks.

I might be stupid but I don't understand the problem you have operating the shutters with casement windows. Unless of course you arranged the windows to open outwards instead of inwards. Anyway, this is the kind of block you want, http://www.racelitehardware.com/rl-4...turning-block/ you screw it to the wall over the hole in the wall, one on each side, so you have two 90į bends and the rope exits vertical inside the house. You can make them yourself from two pieces of angle iron and a sheave.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I think blocks from an old pedestal steering would be skookum.
    4 inch diameter ..made for wire...base made to bolt up to something solid.

Interesting point. The tradition here is for them to open out. I suspect it is due to the need for breeze. Those very cool european multi open windows are hard to find by here except recently in vinyl. Thanks for the ideas.
    Last edited by bluedog225; 02-27-2021 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    I might be stupid but I don't understand the problem you have operating the shutters with casement windows. Unless of course you arranged the windows to open outwards instead of inwards. Anyway, this is the kind of block you want, http://www.racelitehardware.com/rl-4...turning-block/ you screw it to the wall over the hole in the wall, one on each side, so you have two 90į bends and the rope exits vertical inside the house. You can make them yourself from two pieces of angle iron and a sheave.
    I don't believe I've seen casements that open in. Our current house has 25+ & all open out.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Opening in or out depends on region and tradition, but modern practice is to have them open in, and I would say most continental windows are opening in. There are very good practical reasons for this, first beeing the better constructive rain protection, second beeing shutters. Usually the shutters are also casement type, opening out, and in some regions with (adjustable) louvers. This allows to have the windows open and the shutters shut, but with open louvers, keeping the room cool (ventilation and shade).
    Windows opening out are cheaper, and normally used only under big overhangs, for example a porch.

Do you really want to see a length of rope dangling down the wall adjacent to each side of the window?

Around here, mason bees would find the small tubular space inside the thru-wall pipes to be ideal for laying her eggs. Unless a spider has already claimed the spot.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Do you really want to see a length of rope dangling down the wall adjacent to each side of the window?

Around here, mason bees would find the small tubular space inside the thru-wall pipes to be ideal for laying her eggs. Unless a spider has already claimed the spot.

Jeff
    Me, I'd rather see it on the outside, one at each end of the shutter, and avoid having holes thru to inside which seems crazy to me. But then things are different in Texas.

Yeah. Through the wall not be the best idea. I’ve been looking for a way to make it make sense.

It may be that I can crack the windows and open and close most of shutters with a simple dowel. There are still two that are way out of reach.

I’ll know more once the shutters are finished and mounted. Gib-I hadn’t thought of an external block I could mount of each side with a line/loop hanging down. That might make the job easier in that I would not have to reach all the way up and wouldn’t be pulling sideways. Got a link for that block?

Edit-found it:

https://www.amazon.com/Wall-Ceiling-.../dp/B01LZ52MSS

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Would the fairlead be going through the exterior wall with a pennant on the inside? Seems like you'll be making a hole where you really don't want one? What about a cheek block with the pennants going down the side of the house to cleats?
    It was Hugh in #2 that first suggested keeping it entirely external. Called it a cheek block, saltier than me.

You are correct. Thanks Hugh! And thanks everyone for helping me think this through.

You can always go 21st century and electrify the thing, push the button on the remote, and it's done.
    Or buy some already electrified roller shutters instead.

Now that you say it, roll up shutters on the two most difficult to get to windows makes a lot of sense. Looks like they can be gotten with bottom facing crank handles. Getting those two windows addressed would help a lot. Looking around, they aren’t cheap. Electric would be harder at this point. Solar system is a ways off.

Well if we get to throw out crazy expensive ideas.... How about attaching a big ol' rare earth magnet on one end of the shutter. Then hold another rare earth magnet on the inside of the wall opposite so they attract. Then all you gotta do is move the inside magnet down the wall and the shutter will follow!

Jeff

Crazy expensive was looked at:

728D761A-BA63-4AA7-BADB-70BCE0B4823F.jpg

It's always a cost vs. time problem. To me, the most sane option would be to reverse how the window opens, especially if they are hard to get to. Unless your windows are asymmetric, it's not that big of a deal. Afterwards you can use outwards opening shutters and enjoy cleaning the windows from inside the house.

Want to know how to make wooden roll up shutters yourself?

Why do you need shutters?

Unfortunately, reversing would put the crank outside. The real issue on these is that they are way up on the wall.

I would be interested in how to make wooden roll up shutters though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    It's always a cost vs. time problem. To me, the most sane option would be to reverse how the window opens, especially if they are hard to get to. Unless your windows are asymmetric, it's not that big of a deal. Afterwards you can use outwards opening shutters and enjoy cleaning the windows from inside the house.

Want to know how to make wooden roll up shutters yourself?
    This makes me think you have no idea what American casement windows are like. It is close to impossible to reverse them. The sill on the outside slopes to shed water. Thereís a sash stop the sash closes against which if on the outside would channel water inside the house. The interior finish is usually of different materials than the exterior. And than thereís the issue of the crank.

I lived with in swings in one of my first apartments as well as places Iíve stayed in Europe and theyíre charming and quant but a pain to live with. They take up room inside limiting furniture placement. The glass is more prone to damage, they never sealed as well as the outswing ones Iíve used and you canít use them to catch a breeze.

I live in an old Victorian so itís double hungs for me as any kind of casement would be out of place.

I don't know how your windows are made, or what closing mechanism you have, but remember that holes can be plugged and frame rabets created by glueing in a batten.

Wooden roll up shutters are made by linking he slats with either chains, textile bands and/or steel band links. The slats can have different profiles, from square, to cove and bead, to a bewildering array of tongue and groove styles. Here is a video of a very simple style, entirely doable for the amateur, including the links.