Thread: casio E piano problem

Default casio E piano problem

Casio CDP 100. Maybe six years old....

Overnight, four keys stopped working, no apparent reason....Good ol' YouTube with lots of vids showing how to fix the problem, basically stripping it down and cleaning. And did it need it! Scuzz and dust inside, so thoroughly dismantled and cleaned, even under the little silicone rubber teats that cover the carbon(?) buttons and contact the printed circuit board.

Multimetred the resistors, every key has two or sometimes three, and no obvious failures. Readings the same on good keys and the four dead ones. But I'm no electrickery wizard and I did that by a 'how to use a DMM to test a resistor' vid, so maybe my methodology was wrong.

Any ideas, or next step tips please?
    Bilious, choleric, sanguine and phlegmatic

Default Re: casio E piano problem

Check that all of the ribbon cables are making good contact, if the keys are using mechanical switches maybe a shot of Deoxit or some other contact cleaner might help.
    Is there any flex in the PCB where the movement of the keys could have cracked a solder joint or copper trace?

Cleaning the keybed is always job one. If that doesn't work, I'm taking it to the pros.

What are you doing about it?

After checking out the Casio site I was enlightened to learn my nearest service centre is in Barcelona, Portugal.

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Have found , reasonably locally, a tecnician who works on E pianos....so we'll see. I hope he doesn't need to go and get the bits, Barcelona's 1000km away
    Bilious, choleric, sanguine and phlegmatic

If the keys use those carbon pills on a rubber carrier, that touch an interleaved track pattern on the circuit board (either gold plated, or carbon ink coated), try gently scrubbing both the pill and the track pattern using a bit of alcohol or similar, on a cotton bud or clean cloth. Those setups can be very sensitive to crud.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Cleaning the keybed is always job one. If that doesn't work, I'm taking it to the pros.
    Same with me.

I’ve had 5 keyboards over the last 20 years, a Yamaha s80 that was my only keyboard for years—it finally just fell apart, and the parts aren’t worth buying to fix it (plus it’s too damned heavy).

a Roland e09 that was stolen,

another e09 that is one of my two main keyboards now. The e09 sounds remarkably good for a cheap keyboard and it’s very light. The organ sounds are pretty good when I run them through a Neo mini vent reverb pedal.

A Yamaha P125 that has an okay key touch and piano sound, but occasional sticky keys. But it is 88 keys and very light and that is a big deal to me in my golden years...

A Roland Go Keys keyboard that I keep at home for writing arrangements and doodling around. It has a surprisingly good organ sound, but the E09 has more variety in organ sounds and works just as well thru the mini vent pedal.

Ive often thought about upgrading to a Nord keyboard, but I’m not sure the extra sound would be worth the extra money. Even a cheap keyboard sounds pretty good nowadays...

Jeff C

As someone who has purchased 9 guitars in the last two years, and is at this moment eying up 2 more, I think you should buy yourself that Nord.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    As someone who has purchased 9 guitars in the last two years, and is at this moment eying up 2 more, I think you should buy yourself that Nord.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    Ive often thought about upgrading to a Nord keyboard, but I’m not sure the extra sound would be worth the extra money.
    The Nord Electro is about as much musical fun as you can have with your clothes on.

What are you doing about it?