Thread: The sandbar ??

Cool The sandbar ??

I was you tubing some of the funnies of incompetence videoed at Haulover Inlet in FL. Sometimes going to slowly makes things worse and surfing the swells is not done perpendicular to an about to break wave. There is a reason surfers watched in the same shot in the background ride the wave as far parallel a they can and still keep maneuvering speed.

Well I was looking at the twin sandbars of Haulover and that got me to thinking. You see advertisements of lakes and bays and motorboats with scenes of gatherings at sandbars including the famous Red Neck Yacht Club gatherings at many of our larger western reservoirs.

Now think about what forms a sandbar in the bay or the river or the lake. It is not a high current zone as that would tend t carry the sand farther as in the famous dry gullies having flash floods out in the dry far west. (I used to live in CO). What causes a sandbar to "become"? That would be the slowing of current that is laden with sand. amazing how fast the jetty like effect of a point say in the lake. Well the summer rains come from the same direction the majority of the time. Here in most of NH (I live 4 miles from Lake Sunapee) that is from the west/southwest. Up at Lake Champlain the storms and winds come from the Northwest on the upper half of the lake.

So we have established that the impediment to the water carrying its load of sand is impeded by natural features or even man made breakwaters and as the current slows the sand gets dropped and forms a sandbar over time. I have seen lakes that build a sandbar 1 ft below the surface back up to that level in one year after being fall dredged to 6 ft depth. Now that we have the scenario established, think about where those boats are anchored.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE IDIOTS?

These folks get together where the current is the least and often in the summer on the lake no current at all. They are all drinking beer or other drinks and peeing and peeing and peeing. But they are grossed out by the Parisian public Pissoirs in the parks. After 6 hours what is the 0.? percentage of pee to water? Now there are also those who fill their diapers and then pull it out of there suit or shorts if they are wearing any, referencing R N Yacht Club, and hide their O'Henry candy bars under the boat.

Now they are all walking around and splashing and stirring up the bottom.
    THEN THEY MAKE IT TO THE LAST 2 HRS before heading to the dock and boat launches.

After a four day week end of swimming in pee and additives they blame the burgers for getting sick. It could not have been the water as they will never think of that. It must have been coleslaw at the fancy seafood restaurant on the way home. and I'm just sittin on the dock o the bay strummin the day away on my Gypsy Jazz Guitar and avoid shaking hands with them. So they think I'm an a$$hole guitar player. Of occurs the guy at the Gas and day old fried chicken stop is going to tell me the next day what they said about me Charlie always does.

So what do all you guys and gals think about sand bar gatherings?
    What are your stories?
    What are your photos?
    Are you a Lake Powell sandbar junkie?

If I have upset everyone then I have done my job. Joe I may need a east coast to west rescue here.
    NDNs have higher IQs*

*indian quotients.

Default Re: The sandbar ??

My Dear Chap, one does not have to be a red neck to gather on a sandbar..

The gentlemen play a cricket match between Royal Southern Yacht Club and the Island Sailing Clubon Brambles sandbank every year. That's in the Solent off the Isle of Wight..
    https://www.islandecho.co.uk/cricket...sunrise-match/
    Just an amateur bodging away..

I have crewed on a dragon owned by an industrialist during Cowes Week festival leading up to the start of the Fastnet. I am familiar with many of the costal edifices of the British Isles. I was second in command and team tactician of our small sailing team competing with the other ships of NATO standing forces North Atlantic. I checked in at the Dunhill center and put my name in and I had just raced Freres Fastnet racers in Kiel Germany as the boats mad available to us teams from the NATO group. After one of our races we went back to the mooring where his cruising Yacht (he had at least 3 of them) was tied up. He introduced me to his beautiful (she became a model the year after I came back stateside) daughter Katie. Then mr Penny pulled me aside and stuffed a ten pound note in my pocket. He told me to have fun and show her a good time. Now he knew I was a Navy service man. It was 3 days later I found out she had just turned 15. Anyway Cowes is a fun place but has gotten ludicrously expensive and it was already then in 1973. That whole coast all the way to
    Tintagel

and up the left coast to Liverpuddle. The Solent can become right choppy chappy at the end of the afternoon with winds pushing in from the west.

He had two of his regular crewmen from Toronto who were regular crewmen on his biggest yacht in the Mediterranean take a nice 46 ft Yawl of his with Katie to meet me when he knew I was going to be in Copenhagen. Now the guys from Toronto Kew a guy from Finland that was there in Copenhagen and that is a whole new story about getting the Dutch Admiral Commanding the NATO standing fleet all upset and needless to say the head honchos of DESRON 2 the Atlantic missile destroyer fleet.
    NDNs have higher IQs*

*indian quotients.

Do the sandbar gatherers show higher rates of disease consistent with ingestion of fecal material?

Mud Island, just inside Port Phillip heads was for years the site of a very short cricket match, 25 minutes an innings, 5 minutes for lunch and all between the tides. At mid calf deep you cannot stand in the tide. We also used to have tea, with the good china, lace tablecloth and all on the bar on occasion.

This is a tourist group standing on the bank.

Haulover is a trip, I will give you that. I am very thankful we only have one large accessible sandbar in these parts, and it is part of a bird sanctuary, so you are not allowed above the high tide line.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Do the sandbar gatherers show higher rates of disease consistent with ingestion of fecal material?
    good question

I suspect there are some grad student studies extant that have studied this in detail no matter how statistically unsound their methodology may be. the only really good study of performance is taught in manufacturing engineering and those who practice it in their job are usually employed as quality control engineering.

If someone has access to papers listings from medical and environmental conferences we can find some of them. Then the old fashioned country doctor will just look at you and say "Well, Duh".
    NDNs have higher IQs*

*indian quotients.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseKenyon
    the only really good study of performance is taught in manufacturing engineering and those who practice it in their job are usually employed as quality control engineering.
    bull****
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

My Dear Chap, one does not have to be a red neck to gather on a sandbar..
    Thread drift alert: Is there a UK/ Brit equivalent pejorative to the US, "redneck"?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Too many sandbars, not enough time.
    usually 1 to 3 boats though.

Hi Paul Pless Anybody here miss me? who's left to stir up trouble?
    NDNs have higher IQs*

*indian quotients.

As redneck I suppose refers to the short back and side haircut of the conservative military type , and coined by them dirty longhair hippies, implying identifiable by their sunburn,, political and social inclinations follow.

when I was a kid on holiday at the english seaside resorts, our 'rednecks' were people, my Dad I'm afraid to say, who sat on the beach, fully clothed with either a cloth cap or a four corner knotted handkerchief on their head. They even occassionally ventured into the sea with their trouser legs daringly rolled up to mid calf. we had various names. four eyed three legged cloth top was a bespectacled cap wearing gent with a walking stick, for instance . I like red neck though. succinct.

Grockle is a term for any non resident, therefore tourist, in many South coast towns, but doesn't necessarily confer political or social persuasion.

Tory or Brexiteer would suffice perhaps
    Last edited by jonboy; 02-27-2021 at 05:46 PM. Reason: afterthought
    Bilious, choleric, sanguine and phlegmatic

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post

when I was a kid on holiday at the english seaside resorts, our 'rednecks' were people, my Dad I'm afraid to say, who sat on the beach, fully clothed with either a cloth cap or a four corner knotted handkerchief on their head. They even occassionally ventured into the sea with their trouser legs daringly rolled up to mid calf. we had various names. four eyed three legged cloth top was a bespectacled cap wearing gent with a walking stick, for instance . I like red neck though. succinct.

My gods.. your father was a "gumby"?

66130225_1353178754849977_5963993833493495808_o.jpg

As for names for tourists, here at the southern end of Jersey Shore we call them "Shoebies" and the term in North Jersey is "bennies".
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    As redneck I suppose refers to the short back and side haircut of the conservative military type , and coined by them dirty longhair hippies, implying identifiable by their sunburn,, political and social inclinations follow.

Grockle is a term for any non resident, therefore tourist, in many South coast towns, but doesn't necessarily confer political or social persuasion.

Tory or Brexiteer would suffice perhaps
    Not really a Tory as they tend to be upper classes.

Red neck gives the image of small town farming ill educated people.

So for the UK a "Chav", is more accurate, an Ill educated person, often with more money and mouth than is sensible, though not associated with farming more built up city areas.

What Boris achieved with the assistance of the totally incompetent Corbyn, was to convince labour voting working people to vote Tory for the purposes of Brexit. So those brexiteers would come into the near equivalence of red neck.

Oh the term Grockle, comes from a children's dragon story 1920s?, Grockle the dragon wandered around causing chaos without intending to do so.
    Also used for tourists,
    "Emmet" which comes from the Cornish term for "Ant."
    And on the Norfolk Broads "Hullabaloo", a noisy motorboat carried often drunken visitor..
    Last edited by The Q; 02-28-2021 at 02:54 AM.
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Thread drift alert: Is there a UK/ Brit equivalent pejorative to the US, "redneck"?

Kevin
    Chav would come close, but it's not exact.

The glaswegian "NED" perhaps??
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post

Kevin
    The Australian term is Bogan, the male of the species usually sports a mullet haircut. Though these days it's almost anything combined with tats and piercings.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

In my area of south London, the most vociferous and outspoken tories were the blue collar workers. With the exception of the dockers at the Surrey docks, Rotherhithe, the Spice docks.... Organised, unionised, Labour. Otherwise the 'working class' were nationalist, monarchist, scared to death of unions, blacks, gippos, and rabid Daily Express and Sun reading Tories.

And chav, although a common term now, was a Roma expression for often one of their own, who was a bit flash. Showmen were considered chavvy by the travellers as they had plenty of money and showed it. A pal whose folks had a huge van with probably the best collection of Royal Doulton I've ever seen, and the ubiquitous gold bracelets and sovereign rings, called his own parents chavs. Never heard the word outside that community until recently. Often applied these days to the Essex Girls and Geordie slappers.
    Bilious, choleric, sanguine and phlegmatic

Thanks, fellers.

Sorry for the thread drift Chase.

K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseKenyon View Post
    Hi Paul Pless Anybody here miss me? who's left to stir up trouble?
    I did! Good to see you back sir. I see you follow my motto of "If it don't stink, stir it!"
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

As I recall, some of the Small Reach Regatta’s lunch stops were on various sandbars around Brookline. Much attention had to be paid to changing tides, as lack of attention could result in either a boat that floated away or one that you couldn’t drag back into the water.