Thread: Roger Barnes

Default Roger Barnes

I've watched a couple of his videos sometime back when my interests still wove around having a keel boat. So now that I am transitioning to a centerboard trailerable boat I find my interests are more in small boat cruising and camping.

I've titled it Roger Barnes but please feel free to post videos or photos of your experiences or those of others. I do have an interest in cuddy cabin layout so if you have one please share.
    Or just post more Roger Barnes.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

Default Re: Roger Barnes

"So now that I am transitioning to a centerboard trailerable boat"
    Another convert. Welcome aboard.
    If I was building what you are after now I'd be looking for something with dagger boards in the side decks.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    "So now that I am transitioning to a centerboard trailerable boat"
    Another convert. Welcome aboard.
    If I was building what you are after now I'd be looking for something with dagger boards in the side decks.
    If I was building another boat I reckon I'd go for something like John Welsford's Penguin.

https://www.dinghycruising.org.uk/living-aboard.html
    The benefits of sleeping in the boat

Allan Earl in his book Dinghy Cruising says "The first question to be settled when deciding on the camping gear required is whether it is intended to sleep in the boat or in a tent on shore." He goes on to say that while the latter may be more comfortable it is also more inconvenient because you have to find a suitable place to camp each night. That means finding a beach or a safe anchorage with easy access to the shore and as Allan says '..it is surprising how few places fulfil these requirements. Generally either the locality is exposed, mud prevents easy disembarkation, or the state of the tide is wrong!'

​Allan also notes the amount of time lost pitching and striking camp and concludes: '...for a serious cruise round the coast by one or two people it is preferable to sleep in the boat; since the ease with which one can bring up, perhaps just for a tide, and get under way again, enables far greater distances to be covered in a given time.'

Discussing his galley box.

I have toured in my canoe and slept on board. Cooked on a shelf rigged outboard with a tirangia. Cramped even for one in such a tender boat.

WX, are you actively looking for a design to build for dinghy cruising? You could certainly to worse than to copy Roger and build an Ilur. It manages to hit a real sweet spot; big enough for two to sleep aboard with all their gear, yet small enough to easily be rowed solo. It also has a proper centerboard that will swing up when (not "if") it hits bottom, and floorboards so you aren't touching a cold, damp hull while you're sleeping. And it has the handsome look of a traditional working sailboat.
    I have made several short cruises in company with an Ilur and I've admired it for years. The first couple trips, I was in a Herreshoff Coquina, which is faster than an Ilur, but has considerably less capacity for crew or gear. I would not take a passenger for an overnight in my Coquina! More recently I have cruised in a Welsford Scamp. The Scamp is a dedicated micro-cruising dinghy, extremely well thought out for comfort and safety, but its looks are "an acquired taste" as the pram bow seems to turn a lot of people off. Most Scamps are set up for sleeping two aboard, but mine is just for solo cruising. It has a tiny cuddy which makes it very comfortable for sailing in cold weather. The Scamp will just about keep pace with an Ilur in normal sailing conditions, and for a 12ft boat, it is positively luxurious!

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I've watched a couple of his videos sometime back when my interests still wove around having a keel boat. So now that I am transitioning to a centerboard trailerable boat I find my interests are more in small boat cruising and camping.

I've titled it Roger Barnes but please feel free to post videos or photos of your experiences or those of others. I do have an interest in cuddy cabin layout so if you have one please share.
    Excellent film editing and music background that enhances vs the usual overpowering of the unskilled in creating a smooth presentation of ideas be they as simple as I wish I was there being the objective. Sounding like my Californicator movie producer/scriptwriter/director and sometimes actor son. Been listening to critical dissection of movies since 1992 with him. is hero is Quentin Tarrantino.

Anyway your narration is excellent and 'tis something you may want to check on as a money maker. Voices that give technical detail with out being arrogant about it are hard to find and in demand.

Nice boat!

Are you still working as an architect?

BTW I have been on this forum since 2008. I had to go away as it lost its heart for me for a while after I lost my "Danitaga".

I especially like the way you photographed the water from a low angle and the way it shows that the seemingly static sailboat is moving a lot faster than you might think. When I had my sailing school
    I always liked the big eyes of realization on my students faces of how fast we were moving especially when I took them out in a stiff breeze in my Hampton One Design racer with double diamond rig and running back stays and outhauls and downhauls and well battened mainsail plus trapeze for the crew when racing.

Anyway tip top job my friend.
    NDNs have higher IQs*

*indian quotients.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post

https://www.facebook.com/HODClass/vi...59520455870381

NDNs have higher IQs*

*indian quotients.

Chesapeake Log Canoe racing (they are built up from a log canoe keel section interesting to watch videos of a build are out there. IIRC not hard to find.

NDNs have higher IQs*

*indian quotients.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hazard View Post
    WX, are you actively looking for a design to build for dinghy cruising? You could certainly to worse than to copy Roger and build an Ilur. It manages to hit a real sweet spot; big enough for two to sleep aboard with all their gear, yet small enough to easily be rowed solo. It also has a proper centerboard that will swing up when (not "if") it hits bottom, and floorboards so you aren't touching a cold, damp hull while you're sleeping. And it has the handsome look of a traditional working sailboat.
    I have made several short cruises in company with an Ilur and I've admired it for years. The first couple trips, I was in a Herreshoff Coquina, which is faster than an Ilur, but has considerably less capacity for crew or gear. I would not take a passenger for an overnight in my Coquina! More recently I have cruised in a Welsford Scamp. The Scamp is a dedicated micro-cruising dinghy, extremely well thought out for comfort and safety, but its looks are "an acquired taste" as the pram bow seems to turn a lot of people off. Most Scamps are set up for sleeping two aboard, but mine is just for solo cruising. It has a tiny cuddy which makes it very comfortable for sailing in cold weather. The Scamp will just about keep pace with an Ilur in normal sailing conditions, and for a 12ft boat, it is positively luxurious!
    I'm going for a bit more comfort and buying a Hartley TS16 that needs a bit of work. I think if I was to build another boat it would probably be a Welsford design.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseKenyon View Post
    Excellent film editing and music background that enhances vs the usual overpowering of the unskilled in creating a smooth presentation of ideas be they as simple as I wish I was there being the objective. Sounding like my Californicator movie producer/scriptwriter/director and sometimes actor son. Been listening to critical dissection of movies since 1992 with him. is hero is Quentin Tarrantino.

Anyway your narration is excellent and 'tis something you may want to check on as a money maker. Voices that give technical detail with out being arrogant about it are hard to find and in demand.

Nice boat!

Are you still working as an architect?

BTW I have been on this forum since 2008. I had to go away as it lost its heart for me for a while after I lost my "Danitaga".

I especially like the way you photographed the water from a low angle and the way it shows that the seemingly static sailboat is moving a lot faster than you might think. When I had my sailing school
    I always liked the big eyes of realization on my students faces of how fast we were moving especially when I took them out in a stiff breeze in my Hampton One Design racer with double diamond rig and running back stays and outhauls and downhauls and well battened mainsail plus trapeze for the crew when racing.

Anyway tip top job my friend.
    I wish my Videos were as good as Rogers. Dylan Winter does a top job as well.