Thread: Glen-L and Duckworks

Default Glen-L and Duckworks

I received an email this morning saying as of March 1st Glen-L and Duckworks will be one in the same.
    Might be good, hope prices don't go up.

This might belong in the design/plans forum.

Default Re: Glen-L and Duckworks

long overdue in my opinion. While they seem like good people - they seemed to have kind of inherited a side business vs. an active enterprise and avocation. It showed. Many of their designs are dates, and many others just look dated with photos from the 1980's. Furthermore they sort of became the woody/lakeboat/pleasure boat source...even though they had many other great seaworthy workboats .. The best thing about their plans is having full size plans available. Other than that, the supporting material, in general, just needs updates and improvements to make it more accessible. A spira skifff is relatively crude in comparison but the relative merits of glen-l options and full size patterns are not as clearly articulated to avg newbie

I like both companies, I'm glad to see them continue. Too many old plans companies just disappeared.

So, to be clear, the message said that Duckworks was taking over Glen-L or the opposite?
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

Looks like Glen-L operations will be moving to Duckworks.
    I think it will be a positive move for all.

I'm interested to see they still include Polyester resin as an option when sheathing . I guess they must be making it work well enough . I have their original ply boatbuilding book ,one of the first I owned . The photos were of a build in a low ceilinged concrete structure and the builders set shoreing against that to force the sheet plywood down on the frames .I came away with the impression that a shop with a stout overhead was almost a necessity to build some of the boats . That's not a deal killer though , allot of people have done it .