Thread: Building a boat in France?

Default Building a boat in France?

Does anyone have any first-hand experience building and registering an amateur-built boat in France? Any particular challenges or hurdles to keep in mind? I know that homebuilt airplanes are well-established and no problem, kit cars can be problematic because of title issues, but I can't find a clear answer on boats. Cheers, Matthew
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

Default Re: Building a boat in France?

Have you reached out to these guys? https://intheboatshed.net/2012/10/02...re-atlantique/

I hear Mike is a great guy.

Or ask François Vivier. He took us sailing on Bastille Day at the Brest Festival. Also an approachable very nice guy. It was a privilege to sail with him. He had absolute control over his Pen-hir. We would sail right up to the docks full of Festival goers and tack at the last moment. Mary and I handled the jib, I hope we didn’t make too much of a mess of it. The fireworks were amazing.

I suppose you read french, so here is all the info: https://www.vivierboats.com/en-savoi...alites-france/

Thanks, all, for these great leads, I'll follow up.
    Matthew Long

I've built several cruising boats while living in France. Being American I did not have to build approved plans or go through the process of having the plans approved. I also did not have to get the boat inspected as the boats were all US flagged from the outset.

I did, however, have to get the boats inspected for tonnage and horsepower to get a passport for the boat's taxation.

France is a great place to build a boat...

I am on my second, both small wooden ones. Things all changed around 2006, when they loosened up the regs ref the RCD. Putting it simply, it is up to you, but you cannot sell it under five years from first launch. In theory, up to 24 mts(!) is self certified.
    To register, I went up to the Affaires Maritimes on La Rochelle, carrying the plans and the downloaded declaration. 20 mins later I was out with the reg cert, all free.
    I asked about the changes from the old system, where various inspections, stability tests and floatation checks were required. Not any more. So how do know the boat is 'safe'. You have to keep it for 5 yrs, so it's your neck.

On licencing, if the primary propulsion is sails, no licence required. For motor boats over 6 HP (might be 10 now) you have to pass a written and practical test. There are also mandatory safety regs about flares LJs and some other bits. Plus, insurance is compulsory now. To get insured with a french company, it has to be surveyed. 12 yrs ago that cost me €180.

Thanks, Andrew2 and Loose Moose, it's great to hear from people with first-hand experience!
    Matthew Long

That link to Vivier from Rumars has the forms I used apply for registration.
    A2