Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timo4352
    • Jul 2010

Pop up ads

Why am I all of a sudden getting pop up ads when on the forum?
    A couple times lately when I hit the "what's new" button, I have gotten a pop up ad.

http://stickupsharpie.wordpress.com/

http://gunningdory.wordpress.com/
  • BBSebens
    No Member
    • Jan 2008

Re: Pop up ads

Irritating, right? Makes you appreciate how nice this forum is, compared to the level of ad overrun I've seen on other forums.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

El Toro Dinghy Springline
    12’ San Francisco Pelican Sounder
    Laguna 18

Comment

• SMARTINSEN
      Transplanted Yankee
      • Dec 2006

They probably get more ad revenue from a full page annoyance that you have to actively close out versus the minor annoyance of a passive banner or footer ad, but they are very irritating and I would like to see them stop.
      Steve Martinsen

Comment

• Yeadon
        𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝
        • May 2006

The pop-up feels like malware. It doesn't feel intentional, though it appears to be forum supported. Not a good look.
        Originally posted by James McMullen
        Yeadon is right, of course.

Comment

• J.Madison
          • Mar 2011

Adblock. It's free and makes the internet a much better place. You can pause it on some sites if you wish, but if a site is giving you popup ads....

Comment

• Yeadon
            𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝
            • May 2006

Originally posted by J.Madison
            Adblock. It's free and makes the internet a much better place. You can pause it on some sites if you wish, but if a site is giving you popup ads....
            Adblock works great, but I don't use it. I used to, but then I decided that I'd stop rewarding poor internet behavior with my engagement. Now, if I go somewhere and they they hit me with pop-up ads and other irritants, I hit back on my browser and leave. Continuous hard bounces off google searches are devastating to a site's search rankings. That's my contribution.

If you're in possession of a small piece of the internet, it's worth making it as presentable of a place as possible for people who are nice enough to visit. It's no different than keeping your storefront clean and organized.

Over the past few days, that pop-up was the first thing that a number of brand new visitors saw. It's not a good first impression. Revenue it might have driven is a short term gain, at best.
            Originally posted by James McMullen
            Yeadon is right, of course.

Comment

Working...