Thread: Pop up ads

Default Pop up ads

Why am I all of a sudden getting pop up ads when on the forum?
    A couple times lately when I hit the "what's new" button, I have gotten a pop up ad.

Default Re: Pop up ads

Irritating, right? Makes you appreciate how nice this forum is, compared to the level of ad overrun I've seen on other forums.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

They probably get more ad revenue from a full page annoyance that you have to actively close out versus the minor annoyance of a passive banner or footer ad, but they are very irritating and I would like to see them stop.
    Steve Martinsen

I was getting them on every site, was able to go to settings on Chrome and block them. They appear to have come in on something called "Daily Boutique". Google it.

I also downloaded the free version of AdBlock, don't know which did the trick but the pop ups are no more.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 02-19-2021 at 05:44 PM.

The pop-up feels like malware. It doesn't feel intentional, though it appears to be forum supported. Not a good look.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    I basically copied what McMullen, Yeadon and Hvalsoe use because it worked so well.

Adblock. It's free and makes the internet a much better place. You can pause it on some sites if you wish, but if a site is giving you popup ads....

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Adblock. It's free and makes the internet a much better place. You can pause it on some sites if you wish, but if a site is giving you popup ads....
    Adblock works great, but I don't use it. I used to, but then I decided that I'd stop rewarding poor internet behavior with my engagement. Now, if I go somewhere and they they hit me with pop-up ads and other irritants, I hit back on my browser and leave. Continuous hard bounces off google searches are devastating to a site's search rankings. That's my contribution.

If you're in possession of a small piece of the internet, it's worth making it as presentable of a place as possible for people who are nice enough to visit. It's no different than keeping your storefront clean and organized.

Over the past few days, that pop-up was the first thing that a number of brand new visitors saw. It's not a good first impression. Revenue it might have driven is a short term gain, at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    I basically copied what McMullen, Yeadon and Hvalsoe use because it worked so well.