Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This just flew over

Default This just flew over

Douglas A-26 Invader. Even in the house I can hear big radial engines. Must be from one of the local museums, maybe Paul Allenís.

CB473BA9-805A-4AAF-9A8A-5846DC02BCED.jpg

Default Re: This just flew over

Good looking plane.

Two 2000 hp Pratt and Whitney’s, 355 mph.

when i was a kid there was one at the local airport that had been converted into a fast corporate airplane for a local trucking company owner*

it sure was sexy

* wiley sanders
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

The Algorithm Is Watching

Owned by a guy whose company builds horizontal drilling equipment and helicopter autopilot stuff. Peter Hambling.

Great looking airplane. Understand it’s got a bad reputation, but many high performance aircraft do.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Wasn’t the A-26 the plane who pilots coined the saying “one a day in Tampa bay”?
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

B-26 Marauder

http://fly.historicwings.com/2012/11...-in-tampa-bay/
    The aerodynamically optimized design offered its pilots little margin for error. While Martin claimed that the plane was perfectly safe in the hands of experienced skilled pilots, with the pace of pilot training, it was soon put into the hands of new trainees. What followed, predictably, was a disastrous series of crashes that nearly resulted in the cancellation of the aircraft contract and gave rise to the term, “One a day in Tampa Bay”.

That thing looks fast. Why is it I've never seen a photograph of one before? I would think there would be a lot of them out there (at least once upon a time).
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

^ It's new to me as well.

There are still quite a few around because the CIA used them into the '70s. Very hot airplane. Totally different from the B-26.

What are the wingtips on this one? Are those fuel tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    What are the wingtips on this one? Are those fuel tanks?
    Yes, fuel tanks.
    Wiki says this is a Marksman. Its a postwar pressurized executive aircraft built from a surplus military A26. The company gained fame for designing and building the Pregnant Guppy.

Just flew over again. Didn’t see it but hard to mistake the sound of those Pratt and Whitneys. I had to check the Flight Radar app to verify that’s what I heard. I need to get my butt off the couch faster next time.

First fast plane I had the privilege to fly. Summer CAP Cadet camp in Myrtle Beach AFB in 1948. I was directed to the bubble nose on this recon version and was more than a bit scared when the pilot made a run on the airport water tank fast and low. After that the demonstration maneuvers were no concern and I wanted more. He also explained that the big thirsty engines used more fuel in the warm up and taxi than we burned in our old Ford in a year. I suspect an A26 had the most cramped fuselage of any similar size military aircraft. Crew comfort was probably not a main design requirement. Did we have any similar military plane that had speed near that of the A26? Nomenclature was later changed to B26 which caused a lot of confusion with the B26 bomber and the plane was popular with third world forces doing what all such regimes do. I wonder which genius thought it was a good idea to use another planes ID. Next to a B25, which is another story, an A26 is my favorite medium USAF attack/bomber.

Sandlapper, may I suggest a book you may enjoy ? The title is 'Lucky 666' by Bob Drury and Tom Calvin . It recounts the story of Jay Zeamer in the South Pacific during WW II . He flew many of the planes discussed here. A lot of historical photographs are included.

Rick

Rick, I ordered the book. I usually read audio from the National Library service that furnishes me with a reader. Macular degeneration seems the destination for all who live long enough. I'm trying to arrange a flight on the B25 Panchita which offers flights from various places within a long day's drive from eastern NC.

The A-26 was well featured in the Richard Dreyfuss, Holly Hunter, John Goodman film "Always". Also a brilliant cameo and last role from Audrey Hepburn.

I second “Lucky 666”. Great story well told.
    Also suggest “Indestructible” by John Bruning.
    B3B5E8A3-CA8A-4D03-92DD-FA092E9D35FB.jpg

It’s about this guy, Pappy Gunn
    C1198759-AD36-4892-AAA9-E66284E81171.jpg

2021-07-14 DC-3 0033a.jpgFlew over Bridgeport Runway 6/24 last week Believe it is based on Long Island, NY
    \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

C 46 / c 47 ??

Sandlapper, another book on that era you might enjoy is : 'The Matthews Men ' by William Geroux . It is the story of seven brothers of the Hodges family in Matthews County, Virginia, who joined the Merchant Marine during World War II .

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    C 46 / c 47 ??
    C 47 for sure as they are so different in aspect. C46 is a fat thing with a double chin even though it did have some good qualities.

Sandlapper, another book on that era you might enjoy is : 'The Matthews Men ' by William Geroux . It is the story of seven brothers of the Hodges family in Matthews County, Virginia, who joined the Merchant Marine during World War II .

Rick

I have read way more books about the many variants of military service and combat than I can remember. Some are great sources of knowledge of details of that war and some that I can relate to personally. Much insight has been gained from books written by those on the other side that caused me to think. I avoid any that seem to much in the gung ho pattern. Some about specific adversaries like a German u-boat captain or a Japanese destroyer captain or pilots from friend or foe forces also add material that is not much found in sticking to American writers or interpreters. A book by Japanese multi ace Sakai offers insight into their thinking which is alien to our own. "With the Old Breed" by Sledge is a much truer account of of real nastiness of Pacific island warfare than John Wayne could imagine. The TV series "The Pacific" is about Sledge and the island campaign but is not as well regarded as "Band of Brothers". Understanding why this is so is a challenge unless you study what the participants dealt with day to day. Interest in the Pacific war was accelerated by two years in Korea during that war. A sailor on a destroyer dealing with shore batteries and other North Koreans got their share of combat action even if it does not match the brutality of the books I mentioned. Still it was enough to affect me the rest of my life and taught me to hate war in all its forms.

On another subject, one reason I have high regard for the B25 is that my family moved to Columbia, SC in 1941 where jobs were better in anticipation of the coming war. Early in 1942 I began seeing lots of B25's flying around as Jimmy Dolittle used the Army Air Base just outside Columbia as the staging ground for the later raid on Tokyo. Practice runs were made to acquaint crews with the airplane and each other and at least one B25 crashed into Lake Murray, which I knew nothing about then. That plane was recovered a few years ago but I don't know its fate. I have a list of all the planes and their crews somewhere if I can find it. All of the raiders and B25's moved to other bases for actual mission training.

Great book, special detail on the aftermath and its effect on the survivors and the Chinese who rescued them.
    BFB6C1B2-793C-4D0E-9210-08F20267E452.jpg

Sandlapper, thank you for the explanation in post #25 - I am with your sentiment of the last sentence of the first paragraph - A result of three combat deployments to the South China Sea for Inshore Gunfire Support circa 1968 to 1972 ( I was a Gunner's Mate on a 5" gun mount )

Rick
    Last edited by hawkeye54; 07-25-2021 at 10:55 PM.

A-26s were used by Airspray as water-bombers into the '90s. I used to see quite a few parked outside at Calgary.

A B-25 has flown over at least half a dozen times today. It must be giving rides at OSH21. Every other year it’s B-17s, B-29s and a Ford trimotor. They must have no showed.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    A B-25 has flown over at least half a dozen times today. It must be giving rides at OSH21. Every other year it’s B-17s, B-29s and a Ford trimotor. They must have no showed.
    No opportunity to go to Oshkosh this year and fear I will not be able to go anymore. In spite of P.T. Barnum's claims Oshkosh is the greatest show on earth. Everyone with the slightest interest in aircraft or aircraft history should put it at the top of their bucket list.

Sandlapper, may I suggest a book you may enjoy ? The title is 'Lucky 666' by Bob Drury and Tom Calvin . It recounts the story of Jay Zeamer in the South Pacific during WW II . He flew many of the planes discussed here. A lot of historical photographs are included.

Rick
    Rick, I received the book and find it interesting up to page 36. There I ran into a problem when he credits the formation of the US Air Force as being formed in June 1941. That struck a problem in the old brain as I was sure the formation was much later. Looked it up and find the the USAF was officially separated from the army on September, 18, 1947 which matches my memory. Something is amiss but it may be honest if flawed research by proof readers..........Tom

It was an administrative, a bit more than name change, the turned the Army Air Corps into the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) on 20 June 1941. It was a dispute between old army brass who saw the air arm as support for infantry and air power advocates. This administrative dispute had no impact on young pilots like my father who completed basic fighter training in the days before Pearl Harbor.

Sandlapper, thank you for the explanation in post #25 - I am with your sentiment of the last sentence of the first paragraph - A result of three combat deployments to the South China Sea for Inshore Gunfire Support circa 1968 to 1972 ( I was a Gunner's Mate on a 5" gun mount )

Rick
    Rick, I finished "Lucky 666" and it was nothing like I imagined it would be. The great telling of part of the Pacific war that was not well described in the other parts of that war in the many books I've read. A true hero that somehow escaped my historical knowledge. As many such people are, Jay Zeamer rarely conformed to the accepted pattern that we tend to admire. He and many of his fellow marines found a way past the normal restrictions and made great contributions to winning that most brutal war. Having macular degeneration, I was reluctant to attempt a full book but the print was not so difficult and the book was not overly expanded with needless padding. Thank you for the recommendation and now I will get back to large print and audio books when good ones can be found.

Sandlapper, I am heartened to know that you enjoyed that 'read' - I had cararact surgery on both eyes a few years ago, and know how precious your sight can be. If you don't mind, I will continue to recommend books that I consider worthwhile, but please do not feel under any obligation to read the print copy.

Rick

Sandlapper, I am heartened to know that you enjoyed that 'read' - I had cararact surgery on both eyes a few years ago, and know how precious your sight can be. If you don't mind, I will continue to recommend books that I consider worthwhile, but please do not feel under any obligation to read the print copy.

Rick
    I had to look up Indian Land, SC as I had never heard of it. I put up my first spinnaker on Catawba with laughable results many years ago on a friend's Lightning in a race. Put it up sideways with the foot on the luff. Strange to say but we did not lose any places because of my mistake. My original remembered base was on the other side of the tracks in Newberry, SC

Cataracts were done on both eyes 20 and 10 years ago and the only needed clearing with a laser once since. Our great US National Library Service is a great help for us old curmudgeons. Large print books in the public library are mostly romance and other fictional stuff that has little attraction so the NLS saves the day. A downside is that it takes some bit of time for a new book to get narrated and through the system. Plenty of great audio non fiction books available though. Hope the current legislature does not hear about us freeloaders though. I also have a Nexus but do prefer a real book to the screen......Tom