Thread: Wood stove chimney location

Default Wood stove chimney location

I dug through some old threads on wood/coal stove (solid fuel heater) use in boats but I didn't find much about choosing where to install the stove based on chimney location. I am thinking about something like Buehler's Captain Eddie, where it would be easier to put the stove in the pilothouse but would distribute the heat better to have the stove down in the cabin. If the stove is in the cabin, how best to route the chimney for good draft and safety?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

Default Re: Wood stove chimney location

This link http://www.marinestove.com/2015sardinemanual.pdf should take you the Navigator Stoveworks site (makers of the Sardine and Little Cod cast iron stoves among others) and their detailed instructions on how and where to mount your wood stove. Bottom line is you need plenty of space around the stove and some form of heat shield to protect the boat parts anywhere near the stove. Fair warning, they make lovely $$$ stoves.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

You can distribute the heat with one or more computer fans. There are some pretty hi volume 12 volt ones on Amazon.

I see no good way to do it without sacrificing a good six inches of that port settee. Put an Ecofan on the stove and aim it towards the pilot house and/or put a second smaller solid fuel bulkhead mounted stove right by where the door hinges. I'd also go foor a fold-down table to starboard behind the helm seat.

Thanks, all. I should have clarified that I probably wouldn't go with Buehler's cabin layout, at least not initially. I am not satisfied with his "day boat with cockpit sleeping" approach so the eventual goal would be to figure out a how to integrate one double or two singles below, perhaps pipe berths. That said, I am not confident in coming up with a good solution without first getting to know the space in real life.

I do like the pilothouse as designed, but other than that I think to start I'd just install floorboards in the cabin, add a portable or composting toilet behind a curtain below, and big galley box and treat the boat as a camp cruiser. So the woodstove could go anywhere in the cabin and even anywhere in the pilothouse, though I do like that settee. As designed there is also a small table (not shown in the online image but in the book) attached to the rear of the pilothouse in front of the settee.

i am still unclear about the chimney installation with a stove in the cabin. Would I have to run the chimney up to the pilothouse roof?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I see no good way to do it without sacrificing a good six inches of that port settee. Put an Ecofan on the stove and aim it towards the pilot house and/or put a second smaller solid fuel bulkhead mounted stove right by where the door hinges. I'd also go foor a fold-down table to starboard behind the helm seat.
    Last edited by cluttonfred; 02-16-2021 at 01:08 AM.
    Matthew Long

There is a 1950's Shipmate for sale on Long Island NY.
    https://longisland.craigslist.org/bp...274178647.html

You might also consider other options. A liquid or gas cook-stove and a separate solid fuel heater. Fatsco and Dickinson make more modest stoves, the Dickinson is bulkhead mounted.
    https://fatscostoves.com/
    https://www.go2marine.com/Dickinson-...ence=&from=lfs

I'd put the stove forward, and run the pipe up through the deck ahead of the pilothouse. Like this. If you're worried about draft, more chimney length is better but it eventually would need external support and that is not worth it in my opinion.

That Buehler boat have any ballast? The cross section kinda gives me the wobblies with that flying bridge up top.

Edited to add some more examples. I believe Full Moon and Molle B do both have external support for the pipe so perhaps I should not dismiss it so readily.

Last edited by J.Madison; 02-16-2021 at 01:32 PM.

A cubic mini woodstove can be mounted on a bulkhead. My stove bracket is an inch or two above the top of a locker:

IMG_20191020_164011487.jpg
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Thanks, all. For a wood stove I like the little Fatsco Tiny Tot or Pet model, probably with a basket in the firebox to hold cheap wood pellets. If I were to go with a propane heater, then the Dickinson Cozy Cabin would be an easy choice but for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    I'd put the stove forward, and run the pipe up through the deck ahead of the pilothouse. Like this. If you're worried about draft, more chimney length is better but it eventually would need external support and that is not worth it in my opinion.
    I guess that is part of my question. I know that for an installation on land, you normally route the chimney above the surrounding structure with the "2 feet (higher than any part of the roof) within 10 feet" rule. At the same time, boat chimney/vent installations usually seem to have the cap just a little above the deck. Would it make more sense to route the chimney through a corner of the pilothouse to a cap on the pilothouse roof?

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    That Buehler boat have any ballast? The cross section kinda gives me the wobblies with that flying bridge up top.
    I did not see any ballast mentioned on the plans in the book, but it does say 10,000 lb displacement so that suggests to me some serious ballast to get down to that waterline. I would probably leave off the fly bridge but, even so, two adults up there would represent less than 4% of the total weight of the boat, not such I big deal.
    Last edited by cluttonfred; 02-16-2021 at 03:15 PM.
    Matthew Long