Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small (rowboat-sized) Boat Toilets?

Default Re: Small (rowboat-sized) Boat Toilets?

I've been trying out one of these Cleanwaste toilets. Mostly just a way of holding wag bags but at least it folds up to store out of the way for the remaining 23 hours and 55 minutes of the day or just close the lid and it doubles as a table.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Climbing “poop tube”? Fashion your own seat to use? Here’s a commercial product
    https://www.metoliusclimbing.com/waste_case.html

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post

I've been trying out one of these Cleanwaste toilets. Mostly just a way of holding wag bags but at least it folds up to store out of the way for the remaining 23 hours and 55 minutes of the day or just close the lid and it doubles as a table.
    That does not look at all sturdy to me, or I might have considered it more seriously when I started looking around. How wobbly/insecure do you find it? It does seem to pack small. The base might be too large for my narrow boat without a flat sole to set it up on, though.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I was pleasantly surprised how sturdy it is. Being a 3-legged stool might help in your boat, I have a nice flat spot for it.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post

Heck, my cats get a bigger litterbox than that. Two of them, actually (though admittedly not as brightly colored).

Tom
    Cats are not noted for being that careful. I betting you could hit that thing in the dark unless maybe you had the "Texas Blowsh!ts" (medical term)

Ben,

thanks--exactly what I was thinking. I believe the sleeping platform is 12" above the keelson, so the bucket may store there if I need it to. But I think forward is a likelier place for it. I appreciate knowing the dimensions; I think that should mean I can set my blue cushion on the keelson just forward of the sternsheets, and put the bucket on the cushion during use.

Tom
    One of the nice things about the bucket with cover, is that it is real sturdy so you can sit/ kneel on it. Something I didn't fully realize. I also found that sitting the bucket just aft of the center seat was useful for those of us that are not as steady as we once were or that need to drop trou without standing for discretion sake. Sit on thwart, work trou down and slide on to bucket. Do business, clean up back on to thwart to work trou up.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

hey Tom

found this pic of something to ponder in your quest

it shows how the iquid and solid wastes can be separated

it is knot necessarily THE answer butt at least one option to ponder since the liquid is more odiferous in the scheme of things

Attachment 79606

BON CHANCE

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Regardless of the solution you choose, separating the urine from the solid waste makes a *big* difference in terms of odor. A scoop of sawdust or peat moss on each poop to cover and dry it out and a simple urinal bottle (his and hers or unisex as needed) is very easy.
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

Once upon a time I built a motor-well into my dory. Then, my grandson came up with the Idea that it could also be used as a toilet.

;-)

Toilet 2.jpg

Toilet 1.jpg

Self-flushing!

Only for emergency-use. Not allowed due to environmental-protection-laws
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    One of the nice things about the bucket with cover, is that it is real sturdy so you can sit/ kneel on it. Something I didn't fully realize. I also found that sitting the bucket just aft of the center seat was useful for those of us that are not as steady as we once were or that need to drop trou without standing for discretion sake. Sit on thwart, work trou down and slide on to bucket. Do business, clean up back on to thwart to work trou up.
    Well, I've tested the Duckworks small boat toilet on a few short trips now, so I can offer some first-hand impressions.

1. I left the toilet seat in the car on a hot day, and it warped a bit. Then I forgot the toilet seat at home on my latest trip and didn't miss it at all anyway. Having a bucket to use is so much more comfortable than squatting without one that I didn't miss the actual toilet seat--the rim is not too sharp. So, I won't bother with the toilet seat at all.

If I were ordering from Duckworks, I'd order a la carte, and get only: the bucket, the lid (not the toilet seat), and that's it. I suppose you could order bags and eco gel packets as well if you don't have another source. But I wouldn't bother with the bucket base.

2. The bucket is wider than my keel (no floorboards in my boat, so no flat spot to set a bucket). But, setting the bucket on a square throwable cushion (required to have a throwable on board anyway) gives it a flat space big enough to be stable sitting on the keelson. So, plenty stable to use even while afloat.

3. The cheap Camco toilet bags I am currently using have a bit of powder in them, but have essentially ZERO odor control. I'm using baking soda kitty litter deodorizer at the moment. The bags do seal pretty securely, double bagged with a heavy sealable outer bag. I wouldn't want to have them aboard too long, though I do have a fairly isolated spot in the bow (either inside the toilet bucket, or in the large bow buoyancy chamber) to keep them away from everything else.

So, that's that. Not a glamorous topic, but really the only responsible way to handle waste near the water as far as I can tell, after having done this kind of thing for a while now.

I'd be interested to hear how other people handle onboard waste storage, particularly the odor part. The bags seem pretty trustworthy as far as leakage goes.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Well, I've tested the Duckworks small boat toilet on a few short trips now, so I can offer some first-hand impressions.

1. I left the toilet seat in the car on a hot day, and it warped a bit. Then I forgot the toilet seat at home on my latest trip and didn't miss it at all anyway. Having a bucket to use is so much more comfortable than squatting without one that I didn't miss the actual toilet seat--the rim is not too sharp. So, I won't bother with the toilet seat at all.

If I were ordering from Duckworks, I'd order a la carte, and get only: the bucket, the lid (not the toilet seat), and that's it. I suppose you could order bags and eco gel packets as well if you don't have another source. But I wouldn't bother with the bucket base.

2. The bucket is wider than my keel (no floorboards in my boat, so no flat spot to set a bucket). But, setting the bucket on a square throwable cushion (required to have a throwable on board anyway) gives it a flat space big enough to be stable sitting on the keelson. So, plenty stable to use even while afloat.

3. The cheap Camco toilet bags I am currently using have a bit of powder in them, but have essentially ZERO odor control. I'm using baking soda kitty litter deodorizer at the moment. The bags do seal pretty securely, double bagged with a heavy sealable outer bag. I wouldn't want to have them aboard too long, though I do have a fairly isolated spot in the bow (either inside the toilet bucket, or in the large bow buoyancy chamber) to keep them away from everything else.

So, that's that. Not a glamorous topic, but really the only responsible way to handle waste near the water as far as I can tell, after having done this kind of thing for a while now.

I'd be interested to hear how other people handle onboard waste storage, particularly the odor part. The bags seem pretty trustworthy as far as leakage goes.

Tom
    Agree about the ala carte. I ordered all the kit but the bucket and seat are what i use in my little boat. I found some round rubbermaid containers to hold the wag bags as they get used which fit inside the bucket. For TP I find the folgers red plastic containers pretty handy. Some of the bags are better than others for odor control; mine are just fine. A bigger boat may benefit from the base and others may find the seat useful.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Agree about the ala carte. I ordered all the kit but the bucket and seat are what i use in my little boat. I found some round rubbermaid containers to hold the wag bags as they get used which fit inside the bucket. For TP I find the folgers red plastic containers pretty handy. Some of the bags are better than others for odor control; mine are just fine. A bigger boat may benefit from the base and others may find the seat useful.
    Ben,

thanks for the comment. If you've got a set of bags with decent odor control, I'd love to hear what brand it is. Or if you use any other kind of powder/gel/de-odorizer.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Based on my experience with the composting heads on Skookum Maru I am entirely convinced that separating liquid and solid waste is a must for odor control and for reducing space needed for waste storage. There are various urine diverter kits made to fit a 5-gallon or 3.5-gallon bucket, for example:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/7580943...urine-diverter

Adding one of those to the Duckworks setup seems like it would be a useful upgrade. I'd also be inclined to store the solids directly in the bucket and just cover with peat moss after each use. With a suitable lid for the bucket there would be zero odor and no need to fiddle with bags. The solids/peat moss mix is reasonably inoffensive during cleanout. Simply transfer to a garbage bag and put it in the municipal waste. Or if the cleanout process does not appeal, just seal and toss the bucket entirely. It's cheaper than using these bags:

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Prod.../dp/B07M863D89

Those are the best I have used but they are pricey at $3-$5 each depending on where you buy them. A $10.00 bucket used for a week and then discarded would be less expensive.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

I use Restop2 bags and the odor control seems pretty good.

https://restop.com/

A handful of cedar sawdust works well for odor control.

Regarding the privacy issue I have to tell an old story about a local sailor who shall remain nameless. Her approach to privacy when using the bucket on her Lightning was simply to put a paper bag over her head saying, "If I can't see anyone, they can't see me."

The Duckworks small boat toilet system does work well.

It's an old problem. The technology is mature. What need is there to go looking for a better mousetrap?

Nothing like an old enameled chamber pot. Tie a lanyard onto the handle so it won't get lost overboard when you dump and rinse it after use.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    It's an old problem. The technology is mature. What need is there to go looking for a better mousetrap?

Nothing like an old enameled chamber pot. Tie a lanyard onto the handle so it won't get lost overboard when you dump and rinse it after use.
    Hmm....

Dumping waste overboard in inshore wilderness is frowned upon these days. Even illegal in the Great Lakes, where I do most of my sailing. So, there's that...

Then too, higher numbers of visitors necessitate more responsible solutions these days. Even where it might be legal doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com