Thread: Bras D'Orr Lakes, our principal destination next August

Default Bras D'Orr Lakes, our principal destination next August

Am looking for cruising info; have been surfing websites. There appears to be no published "cruising guides" like we've used for the Maine and the British Columbian coasts. We will launch at Baddeck. Have the three applicable paper charts and Garmin Bluechart B3 software. Towing the Albin-25 appearing at left from Illinois by way of Quebec.

Default Re: Bras D'Orr Lakes, our principal destination next August

Hmm... How confident are you that the border will be open? I have a (different) Canadian cruise in mind for myself this summer, but I admit I'm not overly optimistic that I'll be able to go. I drove around the Bras D'Or 20+ years ago, and it looks fantastic.

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 02-14-2021 at 01:07 PM.
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Very pretty place... don't know about a guide...

Last edited by mmd; 02-14-2021 at 12:01 PM.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I suppose you have seen this site: http://cruising-cape-breton.info/ . It seems to imply that there is no up-to-date published guide to the area.

By the way, it's Bras D'Or, as in "Arm of Gold", not Orr as in Bobby.

Ken

Thanks mmd & Hull Speed. I will be ordering a copy and also correcting my spelling.

Of course this all depends upon whether the border is open, however, cruise planning takes the edge of the present covid social restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by Hull Speed View Post
    I suppose you have seen this site: http://cruising-cape-breton.info/ . It seems to imply that there is no up-to-date published guide to the area.

By the way, it's Bras D'Or, as in "Arm of Gold", not Orr as in Bobby.

Ken
    Isn't that "as in a Molson Malt Liquor"?

I am so looking forward to having the border back open!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Of course this all depends upon whether the border is open, however, cruise planning takes the edge of the present covid social restrictions

There was something in the news a few days ago that Canada is keeping her borders closed for another year.

Because her slovenly neighbor to the south is rather unhygienic.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

When I get home this evening I'll look for the Cape Breton cruising guides I have, I think there are multiple. I'll send you one if I do.
    There is a very rare special hand illustrated Bras D'or guide out there, all local knowledge. I had one but donated it to another cruiser years ago after I sold my sailboat.
    It's a lovely body of water to sail, cruise. North entry under the Seal Island bridge is nice, but must be timed with the tides, currant can run 5-6 knots. Lots of places to anchor, tie up, shop. The canal/lock into the atlantic is a nice trip as well.
    edit: Ah, just re-read, I see you're launching in Baddeck. I think the public wharf is getting a full refit, so it'll be way friendlier to visiting boats. Nice town!

Rob.
    Never Trade Luck for Skill.

PM me your address, I'll throw one in the mail for you. I don't need two. It's from 2016 but should be just fine.
    Cheers
    Rob
    Never Trade Luck for Skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    There was something in the news a few days ago that Canada is keeping her borders closed for another year.

Because her slovenly neighbor to the south is rather unhygienic.
    Disappointing to hear, but not surprising. And probably the right move, in my opinion. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Read about Canada/USA border restrictions here: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services.../menu-eng.html
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

The border restrictions are renewed one month at a time; nothing is set for further than March 21 as yet

The most recent restrictions - requiring people at any border crossing show a negative PCR test completed within the prior 72 hours before they can enter by land, air (or i suppose water too) - followed by 14 days of mandatory and to a degree supervised self-isolation illustrates what i think will eventually be how the border reopens in its next phase, more completely.

I really don't feel confident that the border will fully reopen even that way by the Summer, for all that there are some types of travel (mostly essential workers and truckers) for non-Canadian citizens now. But once the Canadian population has been fully vaccinated - we suspect and plan by the Fall - and provided that there aren't developments like especially noxious variants that resist vaccines .. then there will be gentle and cautious re-opening.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Well, if I manage to get vaccinated through my school before summer, that might help me qualify for a border crossing. Hard to say at this point, but I do have a Canadian trip that I really really want to make. I had it planned for last summer, but...

But the Maine coast as a Plan B isn't the worst thing that can happen. Of course, that might not be responsible either, if some fast-spreading variants start taking off, or other outbreaks happen. I've always got a river 8 blocks from my driveway if nothing else.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com