Thread: Cuddy cabin fitout

Default Cuddy cabin fitout

As some of you know I am downsizing to a Hartley TS16 this year. So I am wondering how to maximise the cabin space. I plan is to be able to spend several days on board from time to time, so I want to be able to eat, sleep and discretely excrete without too much bother.
    TS16 Plan viiew.jpg

TS16 side view.jpg
    I know it's common to utilize the cockpit as the galley and I figure it would not be hard to build in lockers for a small stove and maybe a washing up bowl.
    Anyway open to ideas.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

Default Re: Cuddy cabin fitout

Are you interested in modifying the cuddy significantly? If so, the first thing that comes to mind is to remove one half of the V-berth if you are solo cruising.
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    Are you interested in modifying the cuddy significantly? If so, the first thing that comes to mind is to remove one half of the V-berth if you are solo cruising.
    I will need to keep the two up option. I now have photos of the boat which is handy.

As I will be converting the rig to JR the compression post will go.

more junk rig shenanigans.
    Im looking forward to this.
    Where will the mast take root?
    Tabernacle?
    Go well
    Wayne
    Fremantle

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Poulsen View Post
    more junk rig shenanigans.
    Im looking forward to this.
    Where will the mast take root?
    Tabernacle?
    Go well
    Wayne
    Fremantle
    Sleeved just forward of the cabin. The mast will be 80mm x 3mm alloy tube, so it should light enough to man handle for raising and lowering.
    Last edited by WX; 02-14-2021 at 05:20 AM.

Seems like the cockpit is a very large portion of the boat. Assuming you want to keep the cockpit in original form I wonder if you are considering some kind of boom tent?

Depending on how much work you contemplate: Adding a foot or so to the aft end of the cabin could be useful. Going further, maybe raising the foredeck and fitting a hatch for handling the anchor? Prob have space difficulties around the new mast position with that.

Wx, what type of Junkrig will you use? I am building a split junk sail now. Frank
    www.oarandsail.nl

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    Wx, what type of Junkrig will you use? I am building a split junk sail now. Frank
    www.oarandsail.nl
    Standard Arne cambered panel fan.
    FB_IMG_1611779009174.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    Depending on how much work you contemplate: Adding a foot or so to the aft end of the cabin could be useful. Going further, maybe raising the foredeck and fitting a hatch for handling the anchor? Prob have space difficulties around the new mast position with that.
    The new mast is only 80mm diameter but a forehatch would be good. I just noticed the boat I'm getting doesn't have one.
    Adding a foot to the cabin is an option, I think the cockpit is capable of seating 6 people. I think 4 is plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Seems like the cockpit is a very large portion of the boat. Assuming you want to keep the cockpit in original form I wonder if you are considering some kind of boom tent?
    A form of cockpit tent definitely. One reason for the large cockpit is it can double as sleeping space for 2 people.
    Last edited by WX; 02-14-2021 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Added text.

What are you doing to support the mast? Reinforcing that cabin top and sidedecks is going to eat up a chunk of space.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    What are you doing to support the mast? Reinforcing that cabin top and sidedecks is going to eat up a chunk of space.
    Mast steps onto the keelson.

I'd be inclined to cut the cabin back to make it shorter. More like the scamp or long steps cuddies. My recollection of thwe cabin was it was fairly cramped in height, but heaps of space under the foredeck

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    I'd be inclined to cut the cabin back to make it shorter. More like the scamp or long steps cuddies. My recollection of thwe cabin was it was fairly cramped in height, but heaps of space under the foredeck
    Hmmm, no. I'm 68 and I want some comfort.

Thinking again about lengthening the cabin. If one cut down the existing one, retaining the lower bit for structural rigidity, the new one could be canted slightly forward above deck (looks) and room found for a small galley and potty opposite, possibly a washing up bowl over the potty, which would slide out.
    Faced with a similar size cabin, but no plate case, I am fabricating a little 'composting' head to tuck under the bridge deck.

Thinking again about lengthening the cabin. If one cut down the existing one, retaining the lower bit for structural rigidity, the new one could be canted slightly forward above deck (looks) and room found for a small galley and potty opposite, possibly a washing up bowl over the potty, which would slide out.
    Faced with a similar size cabin, but no plate case, I am fabricating a little 'composting' head to tuck under the bridge deck.
    Yes, but I would be more tempted to bring the aft end a bit further aft to allow for the galley and potty either side of the aft bulkhead. Maybe the potty could slide back under the cockpit seat out of the way?

Gary
    I was thinking af a new bulkhead further aft, as you are, leaving some of the existing one for stiffness. 40cm would allow for both 'useful' items and canting the top half forward would make it less bulky. Inside, I doubt that the canting would be a problem, as likely you will be sitting on the berth ends, apart from the 'throne' were one tends to lean forward anyway. Since I have the height, my potty will be a total of 40cm high, 40 long and 35 wide. Classic Porta Pottys come in 35 high, min.IIRR

Gary
    I was thinking af a new bulkhead further aft, as you are, leaving some of the existing one for stiffness. 40cm would allow for both 'useful' items and canting the top half forward would make it less bulky. Inside, I doubt that the canting would be a problem, as likely you will be sitting on the berth ends, apart from the 'throne' were one tends to lean forward anyway. Since I have the height, my potty will be a total of 40cm high, 40 long and 35 wide. Classic Porta Pottys come in 35 high, min.IIRR
    We are in accord.
    Thetford 135 porta-potti H 414mm, W 383mm and D 427mm. On Redwing I have a bucket with lid built in under a compfy wooden seat, Which I am tempted to duplicate. At the end of the trip I take the bucket home and empty it into a compost bin. Grows great veges.