Thread: No affiliation! Ct C-list Crocker

Default No affiliation! Ct C-list Crocker

https://au.yachtworld.com/boats/1978...ketch-3564207/

Listed in Au $$ for some reason. About $20K USA

Default Re: No affiliation! Ct C-list Crocker

Pretty boat! Why do people make sailcovers, etc. out of blue-tarp blue sunbrella? What an awful color. She'd look so much better with traditional tan - or most any other color...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Couldn't agree more. Hideous. But I love the boat.

If the boat is sound, it's a steal at $20,000.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

The "pacific blue" sunbrella is always cheaper for some reason.

That's a terrible reason to use a hideous color IMHO, but it's real.
    whoa, camel. WHOA CAMEL!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    If the boat is sound, it's a steal at $20,000.
    I think you're right, but selling this boat isn't going to be about the sale price, it's going to be about finding someone willing to pay mooring/storage fees for a 42'LOA boat with the accommodations/performance of a 30' boat.

I've been out of the moored-boats game for almost ten years now, but back then the difference in fees was about $10k/year around here.
    whoa, camel. WHOA CAMEL!

I was in that boat on the hard around 2008. I believe she's a Sea Dawn design with some modifications. She was solid then, and owned by a guy who could afford to keep her well.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    I think you're right, but selling this boat isn't going to be about the sale price, it's going to be about finding someone willing to pay mooring/storage fees for a 42'LOA boat with the accommodations/performance of a 30' boat.

I've been out of the moored-boats game for almost ten years now, but back then the difference in fees was about $10k/year around here.

We live in an age that's not conducive to long bowsprits like that

Likely Crocker's Sea Dawn, design #100. Published in Rudder magazine's "How to Build" series (1929, with seven different rig options!)
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

It is Sea Dawn. I looked it up in the Crocker catalogue and you're right about the rigs. Two of them were schooners. Apparently a pretty popular boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    The difference in mooring fees for 30' vs. 42' was $10,000?

Wow. Just wow.

Some people live in a VERY different world than I inhabit. Every time I get a glimpse into that other world, it's an eye-opener for sure. I haven't even spent $10,000 on any of my cars, much less for storage fees for anything.

I'm happy with my little 18' boat. For many reasons, cost among them.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post

Wow. Just wow.

Some people live in a VERY different world than I inhabit. Every time I get a glimpse into that other world, it's an eye-opener for sure. I haven't even spent $10,000 on any of my cars, much less for storage fees for anything.

Tom
    It's not even remotely that much where I live, and that's high demand New England. It's more like $60/month more. So, maybe $360 for the months the boat's out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post

Wow. Just wow.

Tom
    Nowhere near that in ME. A mooring is a mooring - though a bigger boat needs a bigger block/anchor. Where I keep mine, there is a break (I think) @ 25' because the gear is lighter. Winter storage is where the diff comes, as it's by the square foot (as if the boat were rectangular). I remember taking off my bow roller saved about $75 last time I kept her in-water. I now have "free" storage as long as I get a few thousand in work done. Not a tough choice, though I have to pay for trucking. Trucking is a few hundred more as my boat needs a triple axle trailer - but the price for a 36 or 42 footer (on a double axle) would be the same.

That boat is on a private mooring now. Dockage and mooring fees around here are sky high. I wouldnt be able to keep my boat any where near here if I hadnt inherited a club membership and a mooring.

Lots of people in Fairifield County here keep their boats farther up the sound, Branford, Mystic, Essex. Means an hour drive to go sailing but the rates are about 30% less.

I'm five minutes from my boat and its a real luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    That boat is on a private mooring now. Dockage and mooring fees around here are sky high. I wouldnt be able to keep my boat any where near here if I hadnt inherited a club membership and a mooring.

Lots of people in Fairifield County here keep their boats farther up the sound, Branford, Mystic, Essex. Means an hour drive to go sailing but the rates are about 30% less.

I'm five minutes from my boat and its a real luxury.
    Once upon a time a mere mortal could afford to keep a boat in your area. In the late 60's membership at the Norwalk Yacht club was $200/year including a mooring & tender service. Times change & of course house prices there have gone up a bit. A house (remodeled barn actually) in Wilton my parents sold in the late 60's, early 70's for 53K sold 10 years ago for over a million.

Part of the price jump is due to the fact that "moorings" around here basically don't exist, it's all dock berths. The reduced draft of the centerboard will allow the owner more options of where to keep it, but in most cases 42' boat is going to be charged for a 45' berth which is 5-8K more per year than a 30' berth. Yards that will haul a wooden boat are not numerous and not a bargain-priced, so the winter storage is the rest.

The upcharge for the 45' berth may be less if you can find a marina that meters and charges the electrical supply for each berth, but typically this boat is going to be subsidizing the air conditioning of a lot of gin palaces.
    whoa, camel. WHOA CAMEL!

Moorings, dock space and parking spaces at train stations are like unicorns around here. If you re lucky enough to get one, you hang onto it for dear life.
    My father entered a lottery in Stamford years ago when the town increased the number of slips at the town marina. In order to qualify you had to own a boat registered in Stamford. He did but the boat was in Milford because there was no affordable space in Stamford. He lost the slip when he bought a new boat. He didnt read the fine print....

In other words, if you want to sail and aren't wealthy, something like this is probably your best option:

cropped photo B.jpg

Moorings? We don't need no stinking moorings...

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Yeah, kinda. But you need a place to launch it so you need a trailer and a beach sticker. So you better get there at dawn to launch it before all the yahoos with the bayliners and waterborne rice rockets hit the ramp.

Yeah, kinda. But you need a place to launch it so you need a trailer and a beach sticker. So you better get there at dawn to launch it before all the yahoos with the bayliners and waterborne rice rockets hit the ramp.
    Tru dat.

Here is the busiest ramp I launched from one summer:

DSCF7343.jpg

www.tompamperin.com

Guess thats what heaven looks like.....

Guess thats what heaven looks like.....
    Pretty darn close, if heaven has lots of mosquitoes. Lake Nipigon, Ontario.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Referring to the blue sunbrella, based on the fit from the pictures it wasn't custom and probably someone simply ordered by length and height. Maybe blue was the least expensive option. The pictures show someone who "took care of their boat" but didn't "take care of their boat" if that makes sense.