Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: what horse do you favor

Default Re: what horse do you favor

the first place where i toddled was in urne, folks cleaned it up and traded up within a couple years.

the larger, second place, the gravel driveway led directly to lund.

i rode the skool bus to pepin. this was only through the third grade when we were cast adrift.

ma recently sent me this shot from urne, trying to get me to feel all sentimental, it won't work! hitching a ride.

F5F59521-6913-42A7-91F2-5BDE11949123.jpg

oh, i forgot, this is a horse thread.

also from urne. i am not going to play the victim, but this was the first of Two ponies my brother had. i never had one. and you can see i would have enjoyed it.

841780C0-00F1-43D2-B049-B09D6A9FF07F.jpg

urne, eh?

how fortunate you were to not end up a packer fan
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

the packers and vikings were taken by dad and brother.

i had to root for the lions. not that i'm playing the victim.

ah. . . barry sanders
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

wrong era. maybe greg landry.

Better catch up on Rawhide reruns Lee, might come in handy.
    Tom

found my gol dang pointy boots in the gol dang barn sturfed in a gol dang milk crate.

11FDC86D-6C1F-419E-A921-73FFB63E4596.jpg

Jousting, Ian? We tried that - once - on bicycles. Seems 'iffy'. Really enjoy your recollections from your life, your youth - and count myself lucky I didn't grow up with you! Could'a got into a lot more mischief!

I imagine horsemanship, your brand, depends so much on where you live. SD had a very active 'cowboy' culture, rodeo, ranching. Eastern Nebraska - not so much. I'd expect further west, even moreso; and plains vs mountains, different critters. And then there's the 'blue blood' east. I expect that's Ian experience. For me, nice to hear about. But luckily, indulging in any of it isn't an option, or really, an interest. And if ever it is - I think I'll just flush money down the crapper, until the urge passes!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Dad was from Oklahoma and until his imagination was captured by Lindberg's flight he wanted to be a cowboy. So he made sure we did some cowboy stuff at home to not embarrass the family on Oklahoma reunions. But Mom caused me to ride and sail as I do. She'd been a student of Littauer from the early '30s when the forward seat was radical. We also did lots of gymkhana, with and without saddles, and vaulting skills from our West to the East to anywhere colonized by the beautifully mounted Spanish and over across Europe, the steppes of Mongolia, Australia - where ever there are horses. Even a bit of polo and a few seconds in a buzkashi opening clash.

I have limited driving experience - one horse with either the chariot I built or a sulky, never a pair much less a team. A little ploughing and log skidding.

The only part of horse involvement I really hate is racing youg horses. That loath as an institution. Horses are our most abused domestic animal (outside our inhumanity to critters we raise for food) so I have in my time with horses met plenty of people who were individually loathsome.

By the way, our games involved lots of bumps and bruises but we were surprisingly safety minded. For example, long before we aimed our padded lances at each other we practiced putting an unpadded lance through variously smaller rings hug from a string and sometimes moving. And very strict rules against aiming for the head or the horse.

When I was 13 or so I thought I'd be a stunt rider and I studied every cowboy movie I could, doping out just how many ways a person could stage being shot off a horse. I avoided the worst of early Hollywood tricks like tripping the horse with a line around its fetlock. And I never for a trick threw a horse by yanking his head around so we were eye to eye at a gallop. But I did have one major stupid idea for looking like shot off - a rope from around my chest back to a tree and enough slack that I could get to a canter. Did that just once.

Ah.... 'fast learner'. That's good.

Recalls the young cowboy, pestering the local blacksmith about every and anything; manages to pick up a redhot horseshoe, and drop it even faster. "Whatssamatter? Hot?"

'Nah' says the cowboy - 'jus' don't take me long to look at a horse shoe'...
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Nice boots Lee, have you checked for mouse nests or mouse toilet? Could use some pecard leather dressing, just saying.
    Neighbor up the hill keeps and rides a horse, guest rider gets their mule. Horse don't talk much, mule on the other hand is vociferous.
    Another thought, contrary to what you see a rodeo's Mongo had a perty steady mount. Not too fast but get ya there.
    Blazing Saddles- Enter Mongo - YouTube
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom from Rubicon; 02-07-2021 at 07:29 PM. Reason: add more info

Jousting George and Ian?
    "Jousting, Ian? We tried that - once - on bicycles. Seems 'iffy'. Really enjoy your recollections from your life, your youth - and count myself lucky I didn't grow up with you! Could'a got into a lot more mischief! "

Jousting: We used to do it in long boats and whalers in the sea scouts. Six oarsboys, cox and jouster perched up on the stern witha long pole with a pad on the end. Ready…. up to speed…toss oars….deploy pole….see which kid get's wet. A great deal of fun indeed.

What flavour horse…...

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    tom, my journey was the other way round, wisconsin to montana!

and now there's the oregon mud.

thanks for the kind words as always.
    I miss spoke, grandpa Elmer, started out in Ontario, Wi.
    Being a young buck, heard the go West,and a cousin who's family still ranches in Montana. Red Angus is what they run. Leland is their surname. Well Elmer and my grandma Theresa, raised 5 of their 6 kids in Montana. I have a family photo, when the family moved back to Huff Valley, Ontario, Wi. just south of Brush Creek. All three oldest sons wearing western boots with their Sunday suits.
    Tom

^^elmer is a good wisconsiny name, tom

now, "broke as broke can be"

probably what i should have.

not a very inspiring photo, poor skinny thing picking through sage brush, could be why she's been up for a month.

that and the asking price may be excessive, but "obo"

55DD3DCD-73A0-4B3C-8B32-D24E65FEBAA9.jpg

Also -- and you probably do -- consider costs (and time) for Vet certification of health, Coggins test, and maybe a Brand Inspection in WA.

Good luck in your search.

yeah, those points are expected and negotiable, for certain. i am still at the idle speculation stage but that has been known to change suddenly.

was wiping the mildew off my saddle this morning..speaking of which, i should soap it up and take a couple pics. it is an oldie but a goodie.

Oldies are besties. When I was about seven I started using the saddle Mom had used in the '30s.

i don't give dad enough credit.

in the early 80's after losing the wisconsin farm, caretaking a ranch from a double wide trailer in the flathead valley, building anew with a janitor job (while waiting for one of those lucrative teaching positions), with three sons in need of training, he bought me and my older brother broke down early-century saddles at a pawn shop near kalispell, and had them professionally refurbed with new fleece and needed leather work.

this is mine. i've used it only a handful of times since we left montana in my mid teen years. may be days yet in my life to really appreciate it.

055E53D8-8C08-4981-8A03-FC998811DCA0.jpg

dog for color commentary

A148367A-A6E2-4628-8A2A-17578A4F6916.jpg

15" seat

D5482013-D970-43B4-B2E6-AC5F531A04D5.jpg

some embossing and decorations on the cantle

DEB0AA4B-56B6-454F-ABC9-0E96AD8AA345.jpg

the only indication of make

D41C9620-B825-4405-8E70-3395539D9E61.jpg

1291637_-_photo_1_1606753583_img.jpg Rode hundredes of miles in this Stubben cross county saddle. Tried a McClellan, NO way.mcclellan.jpg

i visited crockett and shelly dumas in escalante as a lad. college friends of my folks. anyway, that is the sum total of my connection to endurance riding. i understand crockett has some reknown in those circles.

i picked up a number of spherical concretions in their back yard, still have them.

eta: dinner was fondue, from yellow enamel fondue pots. fiesta ware, maybe. the one and only time i have had fondue in my life.

That's an interesting saddle Lee.

What’s the girth cinch config, looks like a modern webbing billet on the onside?

Stirrups might could use some twist.

yes, that is a cordura type webbing, might have been part of the refurb almost forty years ago now, or a later addition, i dunno, probably more recent. the saddle did get used a few times in the interim. dad had as many as 9 horses on the place, after all, so there was some riding now and then.

as for the stirrups, i reckon anybody tends to relax after a few decades of mostly hangin round town, not earnin a dime.

La Primera Spanish Mustang , you can tell Ian Tyson likes horses . I'd like a Coyote Dun

Whitfurrows Farm, Pitchers Hill Wickhamford Worcestershire WR11 7RT

Morgan horses are known for their endearing personalities, and for a better riding experience you should buy saddle pad. https://www.pinkequine.com/ has customized saddle pad depends on what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    Saw.
    X2 Holds the boards better

Quote Originally Posted by mikefrommontana View Post
    I think this is the horse you should consider: https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/eimco-harris

agreed, or a collection of big clay pots

A 3:1 shot to place. Do that all day - it pays for entrance, bets, the beer and hotdogs at the track.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

chevaline.jpg

What horse do you flavour?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkequine View Post
    Morgan horses are known for their endearing personalities, and for a better riding experience you should buy saddle pad. https://www.pinkequine.com/ has customized saddle pad depends on what you need.

Oh goodie. Another spambot.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)