Thread: Selling a wooden boat you really donít need to sell.

Default Selling a wooden boat you really donít need to sell.

Is a LOT more fun than when you need to sell. Meanwhile sheís under cover and safe and storage is only $45/mo.
    The weirdos that call or write inquiring about her that are so annoying when you need to sell are entertaining when you donít. Itís fun to mess with them.
    They seem to fall into 2 groups. Scammers that are trying some sort of ďIíll send you 1 million in Nigerian currently and you send me the change in US dollars or the lonely old guy that always wanted to build or own a wooden boat but always has to ďask his wifeĒ.
    I tell the former to bring a bag of cash and weíll talk.
    The latter I tell to send the wife, with a bag of cash.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Selling a wooden boat you really donít need to sell.

I have had great luck both buying and selling on Craigs List here in Vermont. For some reason not so many scammers as there were a few years ago. When I sold my Peeler Skiff last summer I had several buyers wanting it. It went to Portland Maine, buyer came cash in hand, no issues.

next thing you'll do is try to order a camel from the robo caller whose call didn't emanate from this hemisphere ;-)

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

What is this “selling a boat” thing you speak of? I know all about buying and building boats but...

it's how WE are able to BUY BOATS ;-)

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Had another one. “How much do you want for it?” I tell them. OK I’ll send you a check for that plus another $100 to hold it for me. Wants my address to mail the check to.
    Not sure what this ones game is, but it sure as heck ain’t legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Not sure what this ones game is, but it sure as heck ainít legit.
    The game is usually to send you a forged bank check. This can take a long time to bounce so they will quickly start pestering you refund the extra $100. You will be on the hook for the bounce fees from your bank as well as anything that you 'refund' to them. Good luck,

Benson

Iíve known couples where she badgered him into listing boat for sale but didnít ask whether the listing price was realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Had another one. “How much do you want for it?” I tell them. OK I’ll send you a check for that plus another $100 to hold it for me. Wants my address to mail the check to.
    Not sure what this ones game is, but it sure as heck ain’t legit.
    I’d say you’re right, but I had a somewhat similar one when selling my Thames Skiff:

Pretty much the first response that I had from my add was a guy saying he’d buy it sight unseen for what I was asking, going solely on the photos that I’d included in the add, but wanted me to deliver it as he didn’t have a car with a tow ball.

I was suspicious but it was a local address so I drove it around there, he handed over the cash plus a bit of fuel money for the delivery and was ecstatic with the boat. (He reckoned I was selling it far too cheaply going on what else he’d seen for sale but I think that had more to do with sharks trying to sell dodgy boats for stupid money, rather than what I was asking, which I was happy with).
    Larks

ďItís impossibleĒ, said pride.
    ďItís riskyĒ, said experience.
    ďItís pointlessĒ, said reason.
    ďGive it a tryĒ, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I've had good luck with Craigslist.
    The last one was my Hvalsoe13.
    I sold it to a guy who wanted a boat for his grandkids to learn to row and sail.
    He didn't have a tow hitch so I delivered it to his house about 70 miles away.
    A very nice guy but it turns out he lived on a beautiful waterfront estate on Lake Champlain.
    The boat will live in a boathouse and be well taken care of.
    I was kind of surprised when he didn't offer me a nickel for my gas even though I spent the whole day doign him the favor of delivering the boat.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Funny how "The Wife" figures into the equation.

I bought a boat two years ago. First saw it on the interweb about five years ago. Crazy high price. I called the broker just to see what the story was and why the price was so high. He said its a one owner boat, well taken care of, showroom condition and no, they wont come down on the price. OK.

Next season she is back on the web, slightly reduced. Following season the same thing. Same broker, still too expensive.

Two years ago Im poking around and there she is, greatly reduced to what I think is fair price; at least within negotiating range. I go to RI to look at her and make an offer. At some point I asked the broker why the big drop in the price? and I quote, "His wife told him to just sell the f&%$ing boat."

The inquires are picking up. 3 in the past week. Nobody serious enough to come take a look though. When I finally sold the Rambler the gentleman asked some questions about the boat, and then asked what type of payment I’d accept. A few days later she showed up with a trailer and cash.
    Serious and courteous buyer. That’s how a deal is done.

My parents had a similar deal when selling their ski boat. They guy paid extra to hold it until he could see it, paid in money bags, and paid extra to have my dad deliver it. Then they Googled him. Turned out to be a millionaire founder of a software company. He was looking for a very well kept vintage ski boat, and that's exactly what my parents were selling. I spent my childhood polishing it every time we pulled it out of the water, cleaning out all the gear every night, carrying the canvas cover down from the shed every night to cover it up. It was babied. I wish the never sold it, and I hope the new owner is still taking care of it.

Advertise at Worldwide Classic Boat Show here? https://classicboatshow.com/classified/
    ďEventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

SOLD! With her new owners in Annapolis.

Congratulations!!!
    Larks

ďItís impossibleĒ, said pride.
    ďItís riskyĒ, said experience.
    ďItís pointlessĒ, said reason.
    ďGive it a tryĒ, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"