Thread: George Buehler’s Captain Eddie

Default George Buehler’s Captain Eddie

The updated edition of Buehler’s Backyard Boatbuilding includes a neat 28’ 6” x 8’ 10” design called Captain Eddie after the character in Wiley Miller’s Non Sequitur comic strip.

While I am not sure I like the interior layout, the boat itself seems like a perfect fit for the 30 hp two-cylinder geared Sabb ex-lifeboat diesels that come up for sale from time to time.

I think it could make a great day boat and modest coastal cruiser for one or two.

Thoughts, pros, cons, alternatives in a similar spirit...?

Cheers,

Matthew
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: George Buehler’s Captain Eddie

Can you live with a Sabb thumping your brain all day long?

It reminded me of a Tad Roberts design. I would say he has a number of similar boats. I'd suggest you check his web page. H has he advantage of still being able to answer questions.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Can you live with a Sabb thumping your brain all day long?
    Yes, please, there is nothing nicer to me than a slow diesel thump-thumping away!

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    It reminded me of a Tad Roberts design. I would say he has a number of similar boats. I'd suggest you check his web page. H has he advantage of still being able to answer questions.
    Yes, I have looked at Tad's designs, and there are some that definitely appeal to me though often there are no interior drawings to get a sense for the layout. I do also think that the Buehler designs are a little simpler to build with a rough-and-ready workboat look that appeals to me.
    Last edited by cluttonfred; 02-01-2021 at 10:01 AM.
    Matthew Long

My first thought was how to light cruise in her. An awning over the cockpit, some lawn furniture, and air mattresses for sleeping on the sole does it. After a while I googled for more at Buehler's site and found I was thinking along his lines. Love the purity of purpose and narrow simplicity.

ETA - I have not in my mind resolved anchor handling.
    Last edited by Ian McColgin; 02-01-2021 at 10:06 AM.

I like it!

I was thinking of going with Buehler's suggestion just to sleep on the pilothouse settee. It wouldn't be hard to rig the settee to pull out for a double and/or rig the settee back to fold up as an upper berth. There is also the option adding attachment points for a hammock to the pilothouse and/or the cabin for occasional use. Personally I'd avoid the clutter and aggravation of tenting over the cockpit.

Putting real berths below would require a substantial redesign of the interior, but I could see consolidating the galley on one side and putting a settee on the other side for general lounging. I'd love to have something like a little wood/diesel/propane stove down there, but putting it in the pilothouse would be a lot easier. Maybe it would be possible to rig one of those heat-powered fans to blow warm air from the stove down to the cabin.

There appears to be a bulkhead between the mooring post and head. Any reason you couldn't use that area as a chain locker for a combination rope/chain rode with a plow/claw anchor on a bow roller or a fluke anchor on brackets on deck? Of course, that would require going on deck to handle the rode and anchor by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    My first thought was how to light cruise in her. An awning over the cockpit, some lawn furniture, and air mattresses for sleeping on the sole does it. After a while I googled for more at Buehler's site and found I was thinking along his lines. Love the purity of purpose and narrow simplicity.

ETA - I have not in my mind resolved anchor handling.
    Last edited by cluttonfred; 02-01-2021 at 04:30 PM.
    Matthew Long

Run a comparison with other similar power designs. Write out the advantages / disadvantages, comparisons / lists on paper. People always fool themselves doing mental comparisons.

Here's one to start with (Atkins Martha Green):

While getting a berth practicly on the waterline makes for real comfort, I'd be loath to put that counter and stowage space aside for a settee. I'd be tempted to making the countertops and such a bit deeper, galley sole a bit narrower, and I'd want to make mock-ups to see if that bulkhead 'twixt galley and head could be moved a bit forward. If that could work, then the starboard countertop could turn into a comfortable berth.

I like the clean bow and am reluctant to spoil it with an anchor platform, lovely as such convenience can be. Marmalade had a similarly hazardous foredeck - hard to get to and unprotected for working. One solution would be a variation on what worked on Marmalade - give that lazarette area a sole such that one can stand about hip deep. The rodes for port and starboard anchors would stow away in divided boxes with space outboard of them to stand. Brackets to hang the anchors on either side of the rudder on the outside of the transom. Gated chocks at the bow so nothing hops out. The leader chain about the length of the boat can lie along the deck outboard of the rode that leads forward to the chock. The only trick will be deployment and retrieval methods that keep the rode out of the prop. Were someone to really care about my two ways to solve this, I can expound in a different thread. Point is, it gave a wonderful working space and was very easy on the back.

Iain McColgin, hmmm...what about moving the forward hatch to just behind the mooring post and then rigging a fold-down ladder or platform in the head so you can handle the anchor while always at least waist-deep in the hatch?

Dave Wright, understood on the suggestion to be objective, thanks, and I know that Atkin design and it's not quite right for me.
    Last edited by cluttonfred; 02-01-2021 at 04:25 PM.
    Matthew Long

Could work, cluttonfred. Were I doing that I'd have a small fold to deck crane to keep the anchors away from the topsides and to sway the anchors to on deck storage. Most people would go for the simpler to make anchor roller platform.

One nice refinement to the anchorhandling from the stern might be to mount a vertical tiller and single lever engine control centered at the aft end of the cockpit.

I'd been using traveling buoys to lift the hook but it was not convenient till I invested in this - how it really works is at the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40nz7HVwcOw

My two previous keelboats (20' & 26') had very basic interiors. The smaller had only two berths with storage under, the bigger had that and a low locker. I cruised them with a plastic icebox, propane camp stove and porta-potty. I might lay out that cruiser with the galley in the pilothouse and berths below.

Do you have George’s books? Everything you need. He even tells you to change around the interiors, if you like. The boat won’t float upside down...

His stuff is rough and ready, to be sure, but seems sound enough. That boat would be easy to build, for sure, and if it looks like what you want, then...

Time’s wasting.

There is no right answer. There are best guesses, compromises, make-dos, and happy accidents.

Life is hell short, so start tomorrow.

ETA: my ONE piece of boat building advice: build it. All those little clever details will work themselves out after you start using the thing, and most of the best guesses you make in the shop will be wrong.
    Build it as plain and simple as possible, and modify and adapt and up grade with use.

Is it just me or does anyone else think this boat would be a real roller in any kind of beam sea?

Especially if the flying bridge is anything more than a windbreak.

You might want flopper stoppers on the boat (paravanes)

The flying bridge might actually slow down the roll as would a mast
    Elect a clown expect a circus

The idea of paravanes on a 28' 30 hp boat seems like overkill to me. Design displacement is over 10,000 lb so I suspect Buehler had some ballast in mind as well as generous fuel and water tanks down low. Personally I'd probably leave off the fly bridge and put the dry exaust and some solar panels up there instead. And maybe the chimney cap for a tiny Fatsco wood/coal stove....

I like to daydream about changes (I even sketched out a version with the pilothouse moved aft and a center cockpit) but in the end I would probably trust that Buehler knew far more about modest cruising boat interiors than I ever will. So I'd probably build it as designed but maybe just finish the pilothouse and leave the cockpit interior bare at first, and get to know the boat as a very comfy camp cruiser before finalizing the interior.
    Matthew Long

A heavily ballasted boat will have a quicker, snappier roll.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

I keep coming back to Buehler's Captain Eddie design as I really like the idea of separate cabin and pilothouse in a relatively small boat. My time in boats, camping, and even recent pandemic has underscored that, no matter how much people love each other, it's nice be able to get some degree of privacy even if that means just being out of direct line of sight.

I am still trying to figure out how best to fit a twin size (75" x 39") or larger bunk in the cabin without ruining it or the overall look of the boat. So far the best solution seems to be a bunk down the starboard side (possibly a pipe berth that can be folded out of the way) with the head down the port side and the galley moved to the pilothouse. That would be a lot easier to do if I extended the pilothouse back one frame (to the 21' mark on the drawing) but I am not sure I want to give up that cockpit space outdoors.

Feedback, suggestions welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matthew Long

A few random thoughts with questions built in....

I was thinking that a sliding door next to the helm would be a good idea. Pros, cons, tips?

I imagine that an athwartships sliding door would be a bad idea (easily slammed open or closed with the movement of the boat), is that right?

Suggestions and feedback on the interior layout questions in my previous post would still be welcome.

Cheers,

Matthew
    Matthew Long

The steps down to the galley arrive at the pilot house sole a bit abaft the bulkhead, rendering any sort of door incompatible with those stairs, which you don't want to move forward even with an enlarged scuttle you'll have banged heads. Besides, you will need the air flow.

You could put a sliding door between the cockpit and the house. Easy enough to make a jam to hold it open. But that's a bit of supurflous complication when a regular door can be installed with better water tightness, ease of operation, and lower cost to build.

Looking back to my bright idea of moving the bulkhead isolating the head from the galley - no go. Not space.

Thanks, Ian. I was not thinking of putting a door between the pilothouse and cabin, though I can see why that would be a good idea in a blue water cruiser. I was talking about a sliding door to the helmsman's right to go out on deck, but now as I look again I am not so sure the the cockpit side decks don't actually go all the way forward to the raised house. Scratching my head....
    Matthew Long

The washdecking around the cockpit carries forward to the front of the pilot house, where the raised deck begins, so a slider by the helm could be made. But not so useful as your face with stepping up 18"-20" to a narrow deck with no easy way to get a grip on whatever grab rail you have on the pilot house. Faster and easier to just exit the rear door. It's small boat and nothing is very far from anything else.

For the two ports on each side of the house, I would make a vertical version of the Bahama Ports I put on Meg. That way you can lower both for ventilation and leaning out.

There is much to be worked out besides the general hazards of the foredeck for anchoring and docking. I've mentioned handling the anchor from the stern. For docking I'd keep a line on each side which for steaming would lay on the foredeck and back hanging at the aft end of the pilot house. Ending in an eye. Should a longer bow line be needed, a becket bed in the fixed line's eye splice makes it handy. Same treatment for springs that might be on cleats where the raised deck ends. Or maybe you could set up the spring just reaching out the window.

I'd be inclined to do without the flybridge. On that small and narrow a boat I don't want to have my fee a good ten feet above the water.

The deck plan shows a little circle that might be a small mast. Functional or functionless?

Fun to speculate.

G'luck

I suspect the little mast was for steadying sail/cargo boom like on his Julian Adderley design (see attached) that he decided to leave off Captain Eddie in the end.

The mast also explains the off-center position of the pilothouse door, which I would probably move to the centerline (or as close as possible with adequate clearance to open the door against the house) to leave space for a little galley or a wood stove opposite the settee.

I agree about the fly bridge thought it does look good.

The vertical sliding ports are an interesting idea. How were yours latched closed? I suppose with a knob on the inside of the sliding plastic you could rig up a simple cord or something to hold the know.

Agreed on the helm door, for some reason I was thinking the cockpit sole went forward. At least that means more interior storage either side of the pilothouse.

Cheers,

Matthew
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matthew Long