Thread: What is this cruiser classic?

Default What is this cruiser classic?

What is this boat? I would like to build something similar.
    Screenshot_20210129-184136_Chrome.jpg
    I stumbled onto it googling for "classic wooden boat plans" and viewing "images" of hits.

Thanks for any clues.
    Gary

Default Re: What is this cruiser classic?

I take my hat off to anybody who builds one of those. Seriously pretty, but a BIG undertaking.

Looks like a (Swedish) C.G. Pettersson.

There is/ was a website with pictures of his designs but can’t seem to find it. All amazing. They have a characteristic look. There’s a few books of his designs. Says plans are in Stockholm Maritime Museum so likely available.

He did a 16 fter....was built at Lyme Boatbuilding College...called Lola. A few pics there and i took a few at the launching.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 01-30-2021 at 05:06 AM.

http://www.sandemanyachtcompany.co.u...or-launch-1925

expensive proposition to build one of those
    but I'd love to see it done

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    Looks like a (Swedish) C.G. Pettersson.

There is/ was a website with pictures of his designs but can’t seem to find it. All amazing. They have a characteristic look. There’s a few books of his designs. Says plans are in Stockholm Maritime Museum so likely available.

He did a 16 fter....was built at Lyme Boatbuilding College...called Lola. A few pics there and i took a few at the launching.
    Thank you very much for the information. This does indeed look like the same designer. I guess I could check with the museum directly.. will do that.

https://digitaltmuseum.se/011024783937/ritning

This one is pretty close, if not the design. 30ft. Same transom V and tumblehome, aft cabin with round coaming, two portlights, flared raised deck and the side coaming looks same. The top cabin/ hard/ soft wheelhouse might have been a later edition on the photo of the one you like, it just. He generally drew open cockpits.

The engine says a Penta (later bought by Volvo) Typ A4, but can’t find what this was. This was the era of semi planing, generally longer thinner easily driven hull shapes so you’d not be needing masses of hp which would make a build more affordable. Funny a century later we’re rediscovering the same ideas. Its gone full circle.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 01-30-2021 at 12:19 PM.

Edward, Thank you again so much! This does look very close to the one in the pic. Perhaps a little longer than I thinking, but not too far from the upper edge. I'm super intrigued by it and will study this out more.

Perhaps there are some other ideas you on this forum may have. Here are the goals:

1. Power/cruiser in classic style 1920s - 1950s. (Don't need another sailboat - we have 4, yikes, from 11 - 35'. Giving the Phoenix to our daughter and another is really an add-on sailing rig to a dinghy that doesn't really count, so not as bad as it sounds.)

2. To be used on Columbia/Willamette rivers primarily, but would like it to be trailerable so we could use it at San Juan islands too. It's about 80 miles from Portland to Astoria. Would like to make it in 1/2 day, so a cruising speed of 15 kts and capable of 20-25.

3. Overnight for 4 people.

I have built 2 small sailboats 11 ft, 15 ft, one with bright varnish everywhere and the other mostly painted with some brightwork, and a number of 12 ft skiffs helping at a boat school. Have been thinking of a 16' Glen-L Malahini run-about as another stepping stone to a larger more "classic cruiser", my ultimate goal, but who knows if I get excited about the right design I might jump right in for the next one.

Here's another design I found interesting. I like the forward foredeck seating, but realize this takes away from any forward cabin (I'm not so hot on sleeping in V-berths anyway). Anyone know what this boat is?
    cruiser_unknown.jpg

Thanks again!!
    Gary

Finally found out what this last one is.. from a boat show in 2007 at Mt. Dora, Florida.
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/chri...t1096-s40.html
    Says, "This is a John Hacker design of yesteryear, and a new construction and interpretation by Hugh Saint, ex NASA engineer, and present day boat builder." Based on a '49 triple cockpit, "Rumrunner" delivered in 2005. 37 feet. Okay, a bit much for me to build this time, but
    I think it's really cool.
    Last edited by garyb; 01-31-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Looking for 20kts+ means a planing boat under the water, with a 1930-40's vibe above (when they were displacement or semi displacement). Low trailerable weight (and for that performance) and 4 berths.

You might need a custom design. My first thought was the NA Andrew Wolstenhome. He has a line of small powerboats with the aesthetic you're looking for. They are mainly built by Star Yachts in strip plank, but they are displacement/ semi displacement I think. He could draw what your after though if you went custom. He draws really nice stuff.

Atkin has a boat that actually suits called appropriately Ripalong. She does over 20kts. With a self draining cockpit adding some cockpit seating I should think give you two extra berths underneath like on a sailing boat. The drawing is black and white but I think it would look the part. It has the raised deck line you like on the Pettersson and tumble home transom shape/ rear quarter, in mahogany/ bronze portlights it would be a looker. Round edges rather than chine, it'll run nice at semi displacement speeds too and be nice to look at. The inboard to a prop means you'd have to be launching on a decent ramp so that the keg doesn't scrape when it immerses though there is no transom engine weight making that worse as its an inboard. 26ft. 8ft beam. 100-150hp inboard but hey plans just $100!

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Cruisers/Ripalong.html
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 01-31-2021 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks for the ideas Edward. The Ripalong could be a candidate. I wonder if anyone has built it.. ? Don't see any pics on line right off, but will keep searching. I'll check out Wolstenhome too. Really appreciate the pointers!

I'm fine doing a custom/modified design too, if needed. (For my first build, I couldn't find just the right strip-plank sailboat plans so commissioned Francois Vivier to create plans for it. He was awesome to work with, and the plans were very complete. From this was born the Morbic 11 and I built hull #1 (construction blog here). )

If you already have a relationship with Vivier, I'd talk to him about a 4 berth layout for Koulmig. That's a great boat of his, though she's a bit slower. I like the Lathrop Bluejacket 24 too. 24mph with just 50hp.

There's a lot more options at 2 berth...to get 4 I think you'd just need a convertible dinette.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 02-01-2021 at 06:13 AM.

Thank you again for the ideas. Selecting the next boat to build is almost as much fun as building it!

I want to build something similar ever since I saw Lady Christina on a TV show. I would like to make it even smaller.
    Attached Images Attached Images

She's pretty! Posted in details on what she is below in post #16. thanks
    Last edited by garyb; 02-03-2021 at 07:23 PM.

5 Dutch families were on a Swedish camping enjoying their holiday. One of them saw this Petterson cruiser for sale on a nearby farm, it belonged to the son of the owner, the son died unfortunately.
    The 5 families decided that they would buy the boat and restore it thoroughly. It took them 6 years. The Swedish father was present when it was launched again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanael View Post
    I want to build something similar ever since I saw Lady Christina on a TV show. I would like to make it even smaller.
    I found her.. for reference..

Type: Lady Christina.
    Manufactor: Carl Gustaf Pettersson (Sweden).
    Year: 1939.
    Engine(s): 1 4 Cylinder 99 Hp.
    Length: 29.5 ft (9.0 m).
    Beam: 6.5 ft (2.0 m).
    Draft: Unknown.
    Speed: 14.5 Mph (23 Kmh) or 11.5 Knots.

Nice to dream, but looks like the best wisdom is to build a smaller boat (~18') as another stepping stone before I tackle something in the 24-30' range.

Goals are close to the same as before (summarized in post #7), but I am going to back off on indoor accommodations, be limited to ~18 feet long (garage size) and will use an outboard.
    I will still go for something with a retro look, and small cabin/cuddy (enough for a portapotty and ~4.5' of headroom for it). V-hull for the Columbia river afternoon whitecaps, up to about 115 hp outboard. Will explore some ideas over on Glen-L forum. If anyone has other ideas, please let me know.

thanks again.

The Pettersson 16 was a beauty. He only had a small engine in it too...it slipped along and made a lovely noise.

Vivier's Koulmig 20 would be easy to live with and ha a retro vibe.

Paul Gartside has an 16 and 20ft inshore fisher outboard. The 20ft is glued clinker plywood but this one was stripped shown here... The 16 is plywood panels on frame/ stringers. The 20 will be roomy.

Construction photos here...

https://www.boatbuildingacademy.com/boats/20-paul-gartside-outboard-launch-steven-harrison

https://store.gartsideboats.com/coll...out-design-214

Moving away from the reto 30's vibe, but a good boat...if you wanted stitch and tape, I'd also peruse Tad Roberts Berrypoint 20.

Last edited by Edward Pearson; 02-05-2021 at 04:56 AM.

That Pettersson looks sweet! A bit small for what I'm looking for. Thanks for the reference to Gartside boats - they have quite a number there.

I'm presently considering a Glen-L Sea Knight, designed around 1957 best I can tell. Looks like the cars from that era, in any case. I would leave more of the top sides bright than this example, but Bill White did a good job on it. It's 17 feet and can take up to a 100HP outboard.
    sea_knight.jpg