Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Resurrecting a Bolger Cartopper

Default Re: Resurrecting a Bolger Cartopper

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    You could do what I did and just epoxy the deck down where you want them and fit spinout hatches into the bulkheads, at @ $20-$30 depending on size they’re affordable.

Or if you really want home-made have a look at what Mike has done here, he shows a lot of detail and has done a really interesting and thorough job on his bulkhead hatches.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...r-dinghy/page6
    Thanks Greg.
    Oh my....well that shows how to do it properly.
    Last edited by WX; 02-13-2021 at 10:02 PM.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

No photos today but I did manage to get the foresheets bulkhead glued in and a bit of framing. I have a sheet of 4mm marine ply waiting for me at the hardware store but with 40mm of rain predicted for tomorrow I think it's going to be next week before I get it...assuming it stops raining. It is the wet season after all.

Looks pretty rough but it will get better.

Gluing in forard bulkhead 1.jpg

Gluing in forard bulkhead 2.jpg

Sanded back a couple of sections to "cleaner" ply and put a coat of epoxy over it. I'm going to have to visit the local joinery and see if I can scrounge some wood flour. I need something to thicken the epoxy for fillets and I've run out of microfibre.
    1st epoxy coat1.jpg

1st epoxy coat2.jpg

Well it was a me day today, just doing what I want to do. besides I had this brand new sheet of 4mm ply to play with.
    First and the easiest job was cutting out the "foredeck" and dry fitting.
    Foredeck1.jpg

Then it was onto the stern locker and some lightweight framing. Everything is going to be filleted and glass taped so most of this is just to hold everything in shape. I could have just done stitch and tape but there's not much weight in this framing.
    sternlocker1.jpg
    I was going to buy a waterproof hatch but I'm going to have a go at making one.
    sternlocker2.jpg

sternlocker3.jpg
    I was tossing up whether to lay the top flat or cambered. Cambered would look nicer but a flat surface is good to have. I've also made it lower than the gunwales and with a slight slope forward to stop any water pooling.
    sternlocker4.jpg

None of this work is glued in. I'm dry fitting everything first then I will go back and radius edges smooth and bevel glue surfaces to match.
    sternlocker hatch1.jpg

fore&aft1.jpg

Yesterday I got stuck into gluing in framing and some ply reinforcement for where the mast will go through the foredeck, and getting a primer coat on all surfaces for the fore and aft lockers.
    Today got exciting, not because I got everything glued in but because I can now get onto some of the exciting stuff.
    Anyway, photos of what had to happen before I could think about the exciting stuff.
    Getting a top coat on all surfaces.
    Aft bulkhead and interior of the forelocker painted.
    Aft bulkhead painted.jpg

The reinforcing for the mast partners. Hard to see the pilot hole but X marks the spot.
    Mast partners.jpg
    Aft locker and deck painted. I'm thinking of getting fancy for the hatch cover. I have some Australian Red cedar laminations leftover from the
    Redwing tiller build.
    Aft locker and deck painted.jpg
    Foredeck on.
    Foredeck on.jpg

Back was starting to get a bit agro by this stage, I started the day working on the new stone steps and that meant buckets of sand from the creek.
    New steps 3.jpg
    Cement infill still needs to be done around the rocks...anyway back to the boat.

Continued next post......

Aft deck and bulkhead glued in place.
    Aft deck and bulkhead glued on.jpg

And the final shot of the day is the fore and aft view.
    Lockers glued in.jpg
    With the foredeck it would have been nicer to have rebated the ply down level with the top of the gunwale. To be honest, I only thought of that now.
    Last edited by WX; 03-06-2021 at 03:01 AM.

Hmmm, don't know what happened to those photos. I'll fix them tonight.
    Last edited by WX; 03-05-2021 at 08:24 PM.

Foredeck trimmed and sanded
    foredeck trimed1.jpg

Foredeck sanded1.jpg
    Last edited by WX; 03-07-2021 at 03:26 AM.

Today I could have done some filleting but I justified not doing filleting by the logic of...if you have to mix epoxy make it do a number of jobs.
    So....I cut the mast hole in the foredeck.
    Mast hole maked.jpg
    Surprisingly hard to cut a 43mm diameter circle with a jigsaw.
    Dropped the bottom section of the mast in and...bugger it doesn't line up.
    Bugger doesn't fit.jpg
    So more trimming and the heel dropped in....but I wanted to be sure because I wasn't sure it sat plum.
    Leveling midships.jpg
    So the boats level across the beam but not fore and aft. I tried two spirit levels on the mast, but then I figure if the distance from the top of the mast section was equal both sides then it had to be vertical.
    They equal.jpg
    So I moved onto the aft locker hatch and cover.
    All dry fit so far but here we have the inner coamings and the frame for the hatch cover.
    I want to get a bit fancy with this so I figured rebate the inner edge to take a 4mm rectangle of ply and then lay in thin strips of Australian red cedar. I am also thinking very thin strips of a pale timber between the red cedar would look good.

Aft locker hatch1.jpg

This is actually an experiment because I haven't tried doing this before and if it works then Redwing ll will get the treatment.
    aft locker hatch2.jpg
    Last edited by WX; 03-07-2021 at 04:54 AM.

And once again a fore and aft view.
    With mast section.jpg

No photos but I managed to get the hatch cover glued up today, which turned out to be a very fiddly job. Also did some filling and filleting with epoxy mixed with plain flour as a thickening agent. It made a nice smooth mix and works quite well.

Okay the hatch cover...I wasn't expecting perfection, that's just not something I do...anyway.
    Looking pretty ugly.
    hatch cover1.jpg
    After a serious amount of sanding the errors of my cutting the laminations to length become clear.
    hatch cover2.jpg
    A coat of liquid glass epoxy improved the look. Still compared to the rest of the boat it is still the most flash bit.
    hatch cover3.jpg
    And the hatch coamings come up okay.
    hatch1.jpg

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Noice, Epoxy, turns every wood butcher into a craftsman. Gotta love those gap filling super powers. I know i do.

Looks great!
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Noice, Epoxy, turns every wood butcher into a craftsman. Gotta love those gap filling super powers. I know i do.

Looks great!
    I don't think I could do it without them.

Quote Originally Posted by wx View Post
    i don't think i could do it without them.
    “Retiring feels like death of self, but I'm looking forward to the rebirth - The opportunity to re-imagine my purpose.”

Michael Bennett

When it buckets down rain the only option is to put in a little shed time, so the 1st coat of varnish.
    1st coat of varnish.jpg

Coming along well Gary. Regarding the mast - I’m thinking an oversized hole in the deck to line the mast up exactly how you want it and a collar that is more snug to the mast glued down over the top with the mast lined up......sort of thing....???? I’ve probably got a 43mm hole saw and could cut you a collar from Huon or Amoora or Scented Rosewood or even Teak and send it down
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Coming along well Gary. Regarding the mast - I’m thinking an oversized hole in the deck to line the mast up exactly how you want it and a collar that is more snug to the mast glued down over the top with the mast lined up......sort of thing....???? I’ve probably got a 43mm hole saw and could cut you a collar from Huon or Amoora or Scented Rosewood or even Teak and send it down
    Thanks Greg but the hole is done. I realised after i butchered the hole how I could have done it better. Thank you for the offer but I think I've got it sussed.

I've been thinking about how to make a reasonably waterproof collar for where the mast goes through the deck. I just happened to have some cistern flush pipe rubber skirts, one of which is only about 1mm larger in diameter than my alloy mast. To seal it to the mast is simply a matter of some silicone and a hose clamp. To seal it to the deck requires some sort of lip for it to slip over...I figure a couple of plywood rings glued together and to the deck will do the job. Both with the same inside diameter, but the top one 5mm larger in outside diameter.
    Mast boot 1.jpg
    And the two rings marked out, which I figure is a good job for tomorrow.
    Boot collar 1.jpg

Day two of the mast boot collar. One of the most useless tools has to be a blunt hole saw. So after using a whole range of tools to make up for the deficiencies of the hole saw I ended up with this.
    Boot collar 2.jpg
    Next job was to sand back another section of hull and primer it. Followed by a 3rd coat of varnish on the hatch cover and coaming.
    Aft hatch & primer.jpg
    I then decided to tackle the rudder and tiller, get them sanded back and a coat of varnish on them. Unfortunately I hadn't taken the prospect of old rusted galvanised bolts into consideration. The wingnuts being something non ferrous and easily broken came off reluctantly but the bolts were another matter. A socket and long bar took care of the rudder blade pivot bolt but it took a few newtons to shift it. Once loosened I was able to punch it out with a thinner bolt.
    Rusted in gal bolt 1.jpg
    The tiller bolt was an entirely different matter. First attempt the bolt head sheered.
    Rusted in gal bolt 2.jpg

I then spent some time trying to punch the bolt through with various and increasingly bigger hammers, but it wouldn't budge.
    Okay, I figured with a set of multigrips maybe I could turn the bolt from the threaded side.
    Rusted in gal bolt 3.jpg
    Defeated, I walked away.
    At this point I am willing to just make a nice new tiller and cut the old one off....but, I shall not be hasty.
    Last edited by WX; 03-26-2021 at 04:06 PM.

A day of continuous light rain, so another day in the shed. Back to trying get the tiller off the rudder stock...brute force failed, and I figured it would be quicker to just cut a cheek off the tiller and replace it.
    So I did.
    Tiller 1.jpg
    I was then able to sit the rudder stock over the vice and knock the bolt out with a 4lb hammer.

All the bits strung up with a coat of varnish applied.
    Rudder varnish 1.jpg

Next job was gluing the mast boot collar in place. I used the mast with packaging tape wrapped around it to keep it all centred.
    Boot collar 3.jpg

The last job, given I had some epoxy left over was to sand back the hull section on one side of the centreboard case and coat most of it with epoxy.
    Starboard centreboard 1.jpg
    The limber holes and the larger openings either side of the case will be closed off. I also plan to strap 20 litre storage drums either side of the case.
    Unlike a certain ship, this one should be unsinkable.
    Last edited by WX; 03-15-2021 at 03:48 AM.

I love that you are recommissioning a Cartopper! This is a lovely thread for me, as I've loved Phil Bolger's plywood boxes, and most all of his other designs, since the '70s, when I first encountered them, probably in the pages of the dear departed Small Boat Journal.

I built a Bolger Teal (that's her in my avatar photo) back in the early ’80s, and still have her, and love sailing and rowing her. Her hull just got its first refinishing job, after all those years, and, save for a bit of the inevitable checking of the CD/X plywood, she looks great.

Sailing her in high winds, I have learned, the hard way, that I can control her in most any condition by letting the sail stream to windward. It makes a God-awful racket, but I have never felt like I needed to reef, even in very high winds, meaning winds of 10 to 15 mph, gusting to 25.

The hard way? The first year I had her, I was tempted by a fine late January day. I drove from Atlanta to Lake Lanier, cartopping, and sailed to windward out of the little cove that we’d launched in. A stiff breeze made things a lot of fun.

Running back to the boat ramp, a guy in a bass boat, a hundred feet off my port bow fired up his engine and blasted, diagonally, across my intended course. Concerned for the stability of my little boat as his considerable wake approached, I turned to take the wake square on the bow.

What I’d not counted on was that the wind had risen quite a lot while I ran with it. When the vector of the wind pressure veered, over we went, into water that was a lot colder than I expected! Luckily, the fisherman swung around, pulled me out of the drink, and gave me a tow back to the ramp. It turned out that the water temperature was about 45 degrees that day, and the wind had been recorded gusting to 35 mph while I was out. YMMV.

All the best with your Cartopper!

Last edited by Chris Noto; 03-17-2021 at 05:44 AM.

Thanks Chris, some story there. 45F would be absolutely freezing to me.
    The only flotation this boat had was some empty plastic milk bottles under the floor panel. No where near enough.

Now that the rain has taken a break for a few days I've been able to get a bit more done, which leads to a question....that i will ask later when I post a few photos.

So I have fitted the rudder stock and this raises an interesting question. Normally to lower the rudder blade one would just lean over the transom and push it down, BUT having closed in a good section of the stern this becomes more difficult.
    Rudder stock 1.jpg

Rudder stock 2.jpg
    To raise the blade is quite easy in regards to setting up a line but to lower the blade would a line to a midpoint on the leading edge give enough leaverage to lower the blade?

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    So I have fitted the rudder stock and this raises an interesting question. Normally to lower the rudder blade one would just lean over the transom and push it down, BUT having closed in a good section of the stern this becomes more difficult.
    Rudder stock 1.jpg

Rudder stock 2.jpg
    To raise the blade is quite easy in regards to setting up a line but to lower the blade would a line to a midpoint on the leading edge give enough leaverage to lower the blade?
    The uphaul line is often rigged to run through the rudder cheeks. Here's my set-up:

Rudder.jpg

It's hard to tell from the photo, but both the uphaul and downhaul run through the same hole/tunnel near the top of the rudder cheeks. From there they run on top of the tiller to a small jam cleat--the working line of the moment goes in the cleat (the black uphaul in the photo), and the inactive line (white downhaul working end) just dangles. It's nice to have contrasting colors so you always know which line to pull.

The downhaul is not attached to the leading edge of the rudder blade, but to the top of the rudder blade inside the cheeks. The drilled hole at the bottom where the downhaul line enters runs straight through the cheeks to the slot for the blade, then runs above the top of the blade through that slot to the attachment point near the top of the rudder blade. So, pulling the downhaul pulls the top of the rudder blade upward, forcing the rudder blade to pivot so the downhaul attachment point is at the top, and the blade is fully lowered.

Full disclosure: The uphaul works flawlessly, but it can be difficult to pull the blade down with the downhaul. It worked great for about a year, but I think there has been some swelling since then, which tightened things up. I sometimes (often?) have to lean over the transom and give a quick shove down to start the blade moving, then the downhaul usually works from there.

Anyway, there are fancier internal systems out there, but that's the basic idea. It might mean more of a rebuild of your rudder than you want to do, though.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Thanks Tom, I think that would work without any real modification. I had visions of the downhaul attaching lower down on the leading edge, which I wasn't happy with.

Or use a piece of shock cord like the Mirror's do.

Anchor one end on the leading side of the rudder blade top and fasten the other to the back of the rudder stock. The blade is then always held down and is raised by the uphaul. Make sure you have a good cleat on the tiller for the uphaul.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickW View Post
    Or use a piece of shock cord like the Mirror's do.

Anchor one end on the leading side of the rudder blade top and fasten the other to the back of the rudder stock. The blade is then always held down and is raised by the uphaul. Make sure you have a good cleat on the tiller for the uphaul.

Nick
    So that requires a groove in the top of the blade by the look of it?

Sorting photos last night.
    This is what the boat looked like coming out of storage.
    20191023_094013.jpg

Taken back in 1990. I built the yellow for a friend for the cost of materials to build the blue one for myself...since sold. The varnished one another friend built, and that is the one I am resurrecting.
    20191127_131935.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    So that requires a groove in the top of the blade by the look of it?
    Might do. I know Mirror's have a groove but I've seen others that don't. I suppose it all depends on whether there's enough of the cheeks protuding past the blade to prevent the cord from slipping sideways. It really is a suck-it-and-see situation.

Nick