Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Resurrecting a Bolger Cartopper

Default Resurrecting a Bolger Cartopper

392160259.jpg

The Cartopper is finally in the shed and under good cover and after much reorganising I now have a space where I can work on it. Those of you who were at the Fingal EBS some years back will remember poor Peter capsizing it and needing help. The boat at present has zero built in flotation and a nasty habit of going over in a jybe and not coming back up. In other words its dangerous to the unwary.
    My plan is to fit substantial flotation and an easy to manage lightweight Junk rig made from ripstop nylon or similar and bamboo battens. Present rig is a leg O Mutton that can not be reefed or lowered once underway. The JR should solve that problem.
    So, how it looked after a scrub. The clear finish is a mix of peeling varnish and epoxy.
    Presand1.jpg

Presand2.jpg

Today I finally got some time to sand back the outside of the hull. I haven't bothered to take it back to bare timber as I'm just after a reasonably smooth keyed surface.

20210128_122211.jpg
    Last edited by WX; 01-27-2021 at 10:29 PM.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

Default Re: Resurrecting a Bolger Cartopper

The gunwales are single layer Oregon and the portside one cracked in a couple of places. A repair was done by reinforcing the break with glass tape but it doesn't look good. I will replace the gunwales with two or three layers of new timber when I flip the hull over.
    20210128_122238.jpg
    20210128_122242.jpg

Good stuff Gary. How do you plan to build in the flotation? I’m guessing a couple of watertight compartments fwd and aft would do the trick??
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Good stuff Gary. How do you plan to build in the flotation? I’m guessing a couple of watertight compartments fwd and aft would do the trick??
    Hi Greg, yes that is the plan. I may close in either side of the centreboard case as well as it's an area that's seldom used. Though I could put hatches or large spinouts in for dry stowage.
    The mast is two sections of alloy tube slotted together. These are offcuts from redwing's sail battens.

Present sail plan is the Leg O Mutton.

cartopper sail plan.jpg
    The alternate sail plan is the loose footed spritsail. I will probably base the junk rig sail on this.
    Cartopper.jpg
    Cost of materials for the sail should be only around $70-80.

These are the mast sections, the dowel inserts will become clear with time.
    20210128_154346.jpg

20210128_154418.jpg

Looking good Gary! Especially like the re-use of the battens offcut pieces for the mast. Those are big battens.

Will you be keeping it bright or painting some colors on her?
    “Retiring feels like death of self, but I'm looking forward to the rebirth - The opportunity to re-imagine my purpose.”

Michael Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by FishoutaFlorida View Post
    Looking good Gary! Especially like the re-use of the battens offcut pieces for the mast. Those are big battens.

Will you be keeping it bright or painting some colors on her?
    Big battens because Redwing is junk rigged. The old epoxy still on the hull and discoloured ply basically dictate paint. Possibly sandstone which is really just another name for cream.

I bought a used Cartopper and after a few years use rebuilt it after some of the design proved too light duty for my needs. This pic shows the 1-1/4"x1/4" 4-ply gunwale which has held up well. Doing it over I would add a second strip inboard to help spread the load from the oarlock pads, or go to 1-1/2" on the strip width.

DSC01497.jpg
    Javex bottles in the ends of the boat and that pink styro under a piece of 1/4" ply were the existing flotation. I didn't test it personally but it kept it from sinking when swamped. I enjoyed ghosting about on lakes with her but the non-reefing dinghy rig made her an adventure to sail. I do find her to be quite seaworthy under oars. Best of luck with the refit! / Jim

based on a comment in post #1 about reefing i might add ...

i audited/cruised along with the vessels sailing the Texas 200 on 3 different occasions

this allowed me to watch a Dovkie sailing under full n reefed and deep reefed rigging

the Dovkie uses the LOM rig and sails reasonably well w/ it under different conditions

i dug thru avaiabe pics and think that w/ simple re-rigging your existing sail and adding reef points parallel to the foot you can achieve your goal w/ less expense/hassle than changint the entire rig

adding reef points as seen here on the Dovkie i cruised along side on the Texas 200

64322336_10157303169271575_3143255911313702912_n.jpg

and sailing under a reef in this pic(i believe to be) from the Everglade's Challenge

SouthernCross.jpg

here is a pic i found on the Texas 200 site of a loose footed sail under reef and how it was secured

104831394_10158463022857628_7358792420792901765_o.jpg

just observations n comments from a lazy old cheapsteak ;-)

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Swoody126 nice boat. The Cartopper is not a boat you can really go forward in to reef a sail. I know I'm biased towards junk rigs but I think it's going to be the easiest rig to manage. We will find out anyway.

I'll be very interested to see how junk rig works for you. A Cartopper was the first small boat I sailed in (learned to sail in)--it is a SMALL boat.

To my mind, a junk rig might be overly complicated for such a small boat. I briefly played around with setting up a junk rig in my 14' 6" Bolger boat, but went with a balance lug instead. Most of the advantages, much less complication. But from your profile pic, I assume you disagree!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    I'll be very interested to see how junk rig works for you. A Cartopper was the first small boat I sailed in (learned to sail in)--it is a SMALL boat.

To my mind, a junk rig might be overly complicated for such a small boat. I briefly played around with setting up a junk rig in my 14' 6" Bolger boat, but went with a balance lug instead. Most of the advantages, much less complication. But from your profile pic, I assume you disagree!

Tom
    Smiled at your last sentence...yeah.
    A Junk rig and all sails have two lines in common, the sheet and the halyard. The JR has two other lines which both set and ignore, one is the yard hauling parrel which is used to pull the sling point on the yard into the mast. On such a small rig it could possibly be replaced with a simple strop around the mast which would do away with that line...something to think about. The second is a luff hauling parrel, which maybe needed. This basically hauls down the forward tip of the yard and helps the sail hang correctly...ie eliminates wrinkles in the cambered panels. Once again it may not be needed. All these lines go aft to cleats or jamb cleats. Keep in mind virtually any rig will look complicated to the first time user.
    Anyway, got a coat of epoxy on the hull and judging by some of the ply, just in time.
    20210130_133714.jpg

Also siliconed (sic) the mast heel dowel and the mast joiner dowel in place and gave them a coat of epoxy. I was going to epoxy them in but figured silicone would hold better as the join won't crack under heat expansion.
    20210130_133739.jpg

Regarding my choice of rig. As far as I know it's not been done before so I figure if you don't try you won't know.

My conclusion about complications had to do with the number of lines and battens--along with the yard hauling parrel, don't you have sheetlets at each batten? And topping lifts? If so, that's lots of lines compared to sheet, halyard, and downhaul for a lugsail.

The very under-informed impression of junk rig I have is that it's great for larger sails because it's so easy to reef and control--but I'd guess there is a point of diminishing returns where a sail becomes small enough that you don't need all of those features.

As I said, it'll be interesting to see how your Cartopper junk rig goes.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    My conclusion about complications had to do with the number of lines and battens--along with the yard hauling parrel, don't you have sheetlets at each batten? And topping lifts? If so, that's lots of lines compared to sheet, halyard, and downhaul for a lugsail.

The very under-informed impression of junk rig I have is that it's great for larger sails because it's so easy to reef and control--but I'd guess there is a point of diminishing returns where a sail becomes small enough that you don't need all of those features.

As I said, it'll be interesting to see how your Cartopper junk rig goes.

Tom
    Sheetlets and topping lifts are fixed lines. It will either work or I will get very wet.

Sanded back and a couple of coats of primer on. It looks better in the photos than in real life, but considering it was built in December 1989 it's not too bad.
    20210131_124753.jpg

20210131_124807.jpg

Gary, the cartopper will be great with a junk rig The profile has similarities to Hasler's 'Hum' in PJR

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Neil C View Post
    Gary, the cartopper will be great with a junk rig The profile has similarities to Hasler's 'Hum' in PJR

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I do love a positive attitude.
    Long day doing other stuff but I did manage a topcoat.
    20210201_152355.jpg

It's pouring rain. The best I could do was give the boat a light sand for the next coat. I read the instructions on the tin...as you do after you've been using the product for a while. It says don't use in relative humidity above 75%...humidity here this time of year is usually between 80+ and the high 90s.

Well the second top coat is on. No photo as one photo of wet paint is much like another.
    Flip over and the exciting bit next week. Some good news is only one gunwale is cracked so I only have to replace one side.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Looking good Gary. It'll be fun to see the rig on it.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Flipping it over later today and figured some sort of cradle would be good for the aft end to hold it steady. So a look around the shed and I spotted these pine frames, probably from some packing crate maybe.
    So from this.
    pine frame 1.jpg
    To this. The cut out bit I cut in half and they became the feet.
    pine frame 2.jpg

Add some strips of " unused" yoga mat and it will fit like a glove. I did a small cutout for the skeg as well.
    pine frame 3.jpg

my son turned up and the boat turned over.
    Not looking too bad.
    upright1.jpg

upright2.jpg

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Just a flickering thought occured.

bringing the mast aft of the dagger board, and installing a high aspect ration junk sail....?
    give you some head room aft, but ballasting issues no doubt.

Its fun to wander.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Just a flickering thought occured.

bringing the mast aft of the dagger board, and installing a high aspect ration junk sail....?
    give you some head room aft, but ballasting issues no doubt.

Its fun to wander.
    I had been planning to leave the mast where it is but that may put too much sail forward. Maybe I will fit two mast positions....after all this is an experiment.
    Ballasting or balancing?

Have you tied a string line from the bow to the centre of the transom?
    It's probably the photo, but they look out of line in the last photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacko View Post
    No I haven't, I shall check it tomorrow. Hope to start on some sanding and template making.

Sanding hasn't happened yet but bulkhead templates are.
    bulkhead template.jpg

First two bulkheads cut to rough shape. Leaving them proud for the moment while I decide whether to camber the deck panels or make them flat. I'm leaning towards camber as it will be stronger and will look better.
    bulkheads1.jpg

bulkheads2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Slacko View Post
    Hey Slacko did it today and it all lines up, though it does look like it doesn't.

Sweet, the Paper tiger I re-decked looked OK'ish, but both centerboard cases were twisted and 20 out of line at the top.

I'm looking for ideas on waterproof locker lids, preferably homemade and inexpensive.

A little bit of work done on framing up the foresheets. I'm trying to do this utilizing material I have to hand but I think I'm going to have to raid the piggy bank and spent $40 on a sheet of 4mm ply.
    Framing the bow.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I'm looking for ideas on waterproof locker lids, preferably homemade and inexpensive.
    You could do what I did and just epoxy the deck down where you want them and fit spinout hatches into the bulkheads, at @ $20-$30 depending on size they’re affordable.

Or if you really want home-made have a look at what Mike has done here, he shows a lot of detail and has done a really interesting and thorough job on his bulkhead hatches.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...r-dinghy/page6
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"