Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Save a 1958 Century Resorter

Default Re: Save a 1958 Century Resorter

Very nice work!

Today was a wonderful beginning for the year. I started the engine for the first time, and it started easily and sounded good. It is a 1999 Crusader 305XL. I am not sure why cooling water did not come out of the exhaust pipes. The intake pipe was in a bucket with water. Either the engine needs to warm up, or I need to replace the impeller. I will need to check the service manual. Another option is that I need to prime the pump with water. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Video of the engine running:
    https://www.facebook.com/10006369842...20743984722518

IMG_6377.jpg

Hi oferraz,

Not sure how I missed your thread when you started it. Great project!! I have a 1958 16' Resorter as well. The hull was restored by the previous owner with solid mahogany planking set in 5200 along the frames and battens. I'm working repairing/upgrading the interior and mechanicals over time.

Looking through your most recent photos, I cant quite tell if you are keeping the interior battens that would have backed the plank seams. Since you're using plywood as a base layer, I'd encourage you to eliminate the battens wherever possible. They trap water and will ultimately be the reason my boat is re-planked a third time some day. Someone more knowledgeable might be able so say more, but I don't think they're necessary structurally with the the plywood skin.

Reinforcing the deck framing is a good idea. Mine is a bit springy, and [small] people are always walking on it.

Not sure what your feelings about keeping the interior appearance historically correct are, but you might consider improving your storage options as you rebuild. There's nowhere for backseat passengers to put their sunglasses, hat, or anything, and there's not a great place to store an anchor, dock lines, or emergency paddle. I added a fuel/water separator and outfitted an anchor storage shelf under the stern bench seat which has been useful. I plan to add some pockets/shelves in the sidewalls (through the vinyl) in back for passengers similar to what's front and a fold-down jump seat behind the driver since no one can sit on the back bench when towing tubes or skiers from the tow ring. Also, my dash is made from what seems to be 1/4" or 3/8" ply covered in vinyl. I'd use 1/2" next time around.

I'll be following your progress! Good luck!

Cheers,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by oferraz View Post
    Today was a wonderful beginning for the year. I started the engine for the first time, and it started easily and sounded good. It is a 1999 Crusader 305XL. I am not sure why cooling water did not come out of the exhaust pipes. The intake pipe was in a bucket with water. Either the engine needs to warm up, or I need to replace the impeller. I will need to check the service manual. Another option is that I need to prime the pump with water. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Video of the engine running:
    https://www.facebook.com/10006369842...20743984722518
    To your water question - the pump should be able to lift the water a couple of feet as that's what it does in the boat. If no water came out after 5-10 seconds & you kept running it, I bet you cooked your impeller.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by guillemot View Post
    Hi oferraz,

Not sure how I missed your thread when you started it. Great project!! I have a 1958 16' Resorter as well. The hull was restored by the previous owner with solid mahogany planking set in 5200 along the frames and battens. I'm working repairing/upgrading the interior and mechanicals over time.

Looking through your most recent photos, I cant quite tell if you are keeping the interior battens that would have backed the plank seams. Since you're using plywood as a base layer, I'd encourage you to eliminate the battens wherever possible. They trap water and will ultimately be the reason my boat is re-planked a third time some day. Someone more knowledgeable might be able so say more, but I don't think they're necessary structurally with the the plywood skin.

Reinforcing the deck framing is a good idea. Mine is a bit springy, and [small] people are always walking on it.

Not sure what your feelings about keeping the interior appearance historically correct are, but you might consider improving your storage options as you rebuild. There's nowhere for backseat passengers to put their sunglasses, hat, or anything, and there's not a great place to store an anchor, dock lines, or emergency paddle. I added a fuel/water separator and outfitted an anchor storage shelf under the stern bench seat which has been useful. I plan to add some pockets/shelves in the sidewalls (through the vinyl) in back for passengers similar to what's front and a fold-down jump seat behind the driver since no one can sit on the back bench when towing tubes or skiers from the tow ring. Also, my dash is made from what seems to be 1/4" or 3/8" ply covered in vinyl. I'd use 1/2" next time around.

I'll be following your progress! Good luck!

Cheers,
    Jeff
    Hi Jeff, it's great to have you. Thanks for sharing so much information. I will probably need your advice on many things.

I removed the battens from the stern bottom when redoing this part, and I plan to cut waterways in the rest of the boat. I am keeping the battens on the topside as I think it is less of a problem over there. The hull was restored by the previous owner with just plywood and epoxy, so I am keeping it that way, for now, adding a fiberglass layer to the bottom up to the waterline.

Yes, the deck needs reinforcement. I will replace some of the beams with thicker wood and add a plywood layer.

I love the historically interior appearance inspired by the automotive design of that age. I will try to keep it that way for now. I did notice that there is missing storage, and I will take some of your ideas when getting to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    To your water question - the pump should be able to lift the water a couple of feet as that's what it does in the boat. If no water came out after 5-10 seconds & you kept running it, I bet you cooked your impeller.
    Thanks. I ordered a new impeller. I am still not sure why the old impeller didn't pull up the water. It was in good condition (see photo). In any case, next time, I am going to prime it with some water before starting the engine.

IMG_6399.jpg

The instructions for that type of pump often say to use silicone grease around a new impellebr /> Seems like a good idea...
    Regular petroleum based grease would harm a rubber impeller, and running it dry while waiting for it to "lift" water up to the pump.
    I remove the pump cover (mine has an o-ring) and put a bit of silicone grease between each vane and button it up for winter storage. I rotate the engine every once and a while during the winter and it will be running dry when launched in the spring. (Dielectric grease is silicone, works fine and it's handy to have that around the boat for radio antenna and other electrical connections)

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    The instructions for that type of pump often say to use silicone grease around a new impellebr /> Regular petroleum based grease would harm a rubber impeller, and running it dry while waiting for it to "lift" water up to the pump.
    I remove the pump cover (mine has an o-ring) and put a bit of silicone grease between each vane and button it up for winter storage. I rotate the engine every once and a while during the winter and it will be running dry when launched in the spring. (Dielectric grease is silicone, works fine and it's handy to have that around the boat for radio antenna and other electrical connections)
    Thanks for the suggestion. The engine service manual doesn't mention using silicone grease in the pump assembly, but it sounds like a good idea as the boat will remain on a trailer most of the time in a dry place.

Quote Originally Posted by oferraz View Post

Attachment 102102
    Replacing part of the keel and frames

New plywood bottom scarfed in place.

Attachment 102104
    New sheer batten and dry-fitting the topside plywood
    Nice work. I just refinished a 1951 Resorter.
    They are a factory built boat, get it done, get it out. It looks a whole lot stronger now.

I just finished the restoration of the port side battens. Each one was removed, cleaned, rotted sections soaked in CPES. The next step is to steam a new sheer batten.

IMG_6509.jpg

IMG_6510.jpg

IMG_6511.jpg

Fwiw, marineengine.com has a good forum section. There is a Crusader specific one that has helped me alot to trouble shoot. I think I would make sure that raw water intake hose has water in it and of course belt tension (1/4" deflection for my water pump belt. I have the v-6). What did you do with the 327?

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepwalker View Post
    Fwiw, marineengine.com has a good forum section. There is a Crusader specific one that has helped me alot to trouble shoot. I think I would make sure that raw water intake hose has water in it and of course belt tension (1/4" deflection for my water pump belt. I have the v-6). What did you do with the 327?
    Hi, The Crusader is working great. The pump issue is probably nothing. I didn't prime the pump before starting. I bought a new impeller, and I will replace it if needed before starting it the next time. But I want to progress with the boat before. The Gray Marine 327 is for sale, but I didn't have had a chance to publish it yet.

This week I focused on steam bending the new sheer-batten into its place. The old sheer-batten was too thin and full of holes. The new sheer is 1-1/2 x 3/4 white oak and feels more structural.

The old frames don't have the proper notch to hold the new sheer-batten, and in many cases, the old sheer-batten was not touching the frames and needed more pieces of wood around it.
    IMG_6514.jpg

I created temporary stands to help me keep the new sheer-batten in the right place and angle.
    IMG_6515.jpg

I am steaming the batten in place, and it helps me to work longer on shaping them to the sheer line without the wood getting called while working.
    IMG_6517.jpg

IMG_6518.jpg

IMG_6522.jpg

She's lookin good.

Sweet!