Thread: Bedding compound conundrum

Default Bedding compound conundrum

I'm about to put together the built up stern of my Washington County peapod; basically 2" thick white oak sternpost, stern knee, and keel. I was planning on using Sikaflex 291. This is my first built up stem or stern. I've not used Sikaflex, and while I'm aware of the warnings that I won't be able to take apart the stern or stem for repair, I'm not sure what the chances are I would want to. I've never used this stuff before; any advice, tips, or tricks? Thanks.

Default Re: Bedding compound conundrum

I have used a lot of it and like it
    I generously tape off the area around the joint, wait for it to go off then trim the excess with a sharp chisel and remove tape.
    It can be messy, keep a roll of toilet paper handy and by using and discarding one sheet at a time, immediately clean up as you go any that gets on you, your fingers and tools or soon you and your work will look like Brer Rabbit after fighting the tar baby.
    Black Sika looks the best with wood joinery... white looks like a mistake unless everything is painted.

Also, Sika will do a superior job of excluding water from the joints which will mean that you will be less likely to need to disassemble them later.

Regarding clean up, if you seal the non-faying surfaces before assembly you will be able to wash the smeared goop off with paint thinner without staining those surfaces. That won't matter though if you're painting. If you dry fit then plane/scrape and sand everything as though it were the finished product before disassembling, gooping and reassembling then most of that sealing can be part of the final finishing.

I prefer rags to toilet paper or paper towels since Sika is so sticky and gooey that it just rips the paper.

And yeah, black looks much better than white.

Sneaky Flux is great stuff. I still miss the Challenge from the early days of the WoodenBoat Show.

About worrying about taking it apart later - That's a "NOP". Next Owner's Problem.

G'luck

You need industrial TP like that stuff in a porta-potty that can double as sandpaper

thanks for your recommendations. Yes, I'll be painting. Does this need a primer? I've seen a primer on the Sika website, but not always from actual boatbuilders

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

"Sika" is a lotta differnt things, like "Cetol".
    It's a brand.

Sika 291 was the game plan

291 is what I was thinking but they may have one that disassembles more easily.

Don't take it apart...

Yes it does have a primer or several depending on materials to be joined. Email Sika they are very helpful.. I used 291 to join my ballast to keel and plug bolt holes. Itís sandable too.

If you're not worried about taking it apart, consider 3M 5200. It cleans up easily (before it cures) with mineral spirits. Whether mineral spirits will interfere with epoxy or something else is another issue, best read the manufacturer's information for the other product to find out.

There is a lot of dislike for 5200 on the forum. Me, I like it as it does just what the makers say it will.